Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are all ESC's in blinky mode equal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 04:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)
Default Are all ESC's in blinky mode equal?

I shopping around for some new escs and im curious what racers think. Does ROAR set parameters that each mfg. must be with in on there blinky program? Are there some esc's faster then others in blinky?? What are your thoughts?
Old 06-04-2014, 05:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I would think they are close, some might be smoother than others, but that is a feel / opinion in many cases.

The biggest thing in blinky would be chassis setup including how you have it geared. And also the KV / Torque characteristics of the motor used.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Yes, ROAR has requirements and tests that effectively result in no discernible differences between approved ESCs regarding maximum power output or power curve due to timing. Any differences in maximum power will be due to the resistance of the MOSFETs (which is virtually zero these days on good ESCs).

While that removes one concern for selection, you'll still want to consider other differences: size, weight, features, "feel", warranty service, and (of course) price.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes there are small performance differences between blinky esc.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Originally Posted by frozenpod
Yes there are small performance differences between blinky esc.
Such as??? Zero timing IS zero timing. Like mentioned, maybe feel and price, that's it.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andy Koback
Such as??? Zero timing IS zero timing. Like mentioned, maybe feel and price, that's it.
Timing isn't the only performance parameter the esc controls. That being said, they do seem to all be very close but not quite identical.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Amp delivery is the big issue. If you have a 120A Esc vs a cheap 40A unit even in blinky, the power delivery is greater. More power=More speed
Old 06-04-2014, 04:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Then there is other stuff that you can tweak on the more advanced ECU's that makes a difference such as braking modes. My LRP for example has 3 different settings for brakes!

When top speed is effectively the same (full power pass through) it is stuff like better braking that will make all the difference.

Also, punch/initial drive is potentially important to have especially if your TX can't do a form of that for you.

But generally, there isn't much between them.

If you're going to race blinky only I think looking at some of the newer zero timing ESC's like the muchmore Fleta Euro (or equivalent) or the Novak GTB3 (I'm assuming they have quality okay now) would be worth consideration. They are essentially cut down top end ESCs without timing features and a lot lower price.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

There's bound to be a slight difference between ESCs. Is it a noticeable difference? That's up to you.

I know that my $40 Justock turned the exact same laptimes as my RS Pro as my HW v3.1 120a as my HW V3.1 Stock Spec.

Look, when people look at a blinky car, you first think about what motor it's running, not which blinky ESC it's got.

Sure the more expensive ESCs are gonna have more parameters to play with, both those reflect FEEL, not speed. I hated how my RS pro felt but it doesn't change the fact that I could drive the exact same lap times (average AND fast) times as my v3.1 Stock Spec. I just like how the Stock Spec felt better and its easier to tune.

Don't believe these guys saying, "Oh man I went 1 sec faster per lap with X brand ESC!"
Old 06-05-2014, 10:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Like Howard said, they are all going to be extremely close by the rules they are all submitted.

And like hyujmn said, all things similar someone is going a second a lap faster because of brand X.

At a club/sportsmans level, even little more advanced level, there is a certain amount of the "feel" factor that can help, but it will actually not relate to the power output of the esc as much as the driver being more confident driving the car. Someone stated they didn't like the "feel" of one brand even though they did the lap time, someone else may not be able to do that, because their mind would be thinking about compensating for that "feel". So having the adjustments available can help to a certain extent.