Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is spectrum the way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Sorry, but the Spektrum hate is gonna continue with this post too.

My brother had a DX3R Pro. Glitchy, and I felt like the wheel just felt jacked up. We both switched to Airtronics MT4s and it's probably the best investment I've made in RC. I've switched cars tons of times since then, but I always stick my trusty Airtronics receiver in there and keep with the MT4.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Spektrum is the way you don't go.

Go with Futaba or Airtronics. I've always preferred Futaba. But it comes down to personal preference. Both are good. And you won't have to guess if your stuff will glitch or work correctly.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

If you haven't bought a radio, and 90% replies that Spektrum is not the way to go, why would any one choose a Spektrum?

It's like crossing two roads where you statistically have a 10% risk of being run down by a car by crossing one road, and 80% risk of being run down by a car crossing the other road.

You can get over safely by crossing either road, but which one would you choose?

Off course not all Spektrum users have problems, but just so many few have problems with Futaba, Sanwa\Airtronics, KoPropo etc.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Salkin
Off course not all Spektrum users have problems, but just so many few have problems with Futaba, Sanwa\Airtronics, KoPropo etc.

Thats because for every 10 radios sold, 8 are Spektrum and 2 are Sanwa/Airtronics/KO Propo/Futaba etc.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't know, maybe I'm just fortunate that I never had a non-user issue with any of the Spektrum radios I've owned. Let me say that I have four Futabas, three Airtronics and three Spektrums. Only one of the Airtronics and one Futaba ever broke while in use.

Spektrum range has never been an issue as I only race and never bash so the track coverage is more than ample. Glitches are none existant except when I forget to charge/replace the batteries in the radio or car. My DX3R and DX3R Pro have never been a problem and work great with the sub$10 receivers. Come to think of it, I don't remember any glitching with any radio I had except for one of the RTR radios.

I see a lot of Spektrum Air radios out there and I have a DX6i too. If they're so bad then why would anyone fly a plane using one?

Just my opinion.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

When I got back into RC a few years ago, I jumped on the DX3R Pro and bought many RXs for my cars. I don't recall any issues for the year I ran with that setup. I will admit Spektrum could have used a higher quality plastic or maybe even added some weight to the Transmitter as they tend to feel real light which in itself makes it feel a bit on the lower end of gear offerings. Maybe a nifty feature these manufacturers could incorporate into the design would be to add a method for the addition of weight for those that feel they want a more solid feeling transmitter in hand. at the same time, it would allow those that complain of weight to lighten the load in increments.

I picked up a Futaba 3PK Super with Spektrum Pro TX module to continue use with my extensive collection of Spektrum DSM RXs I also have the handheld telemetry module and have not had any issues with this combo either. I like the Futaba quality and brand from my initial days of RC with my 3PJ. Programming the 3PKS is very simple too. I suppose if I didn't already have the Spek. RXs, I'd be using the FASST system.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

I switched from Futaba 3PKs to the Spektrum DX3R because of the lighter weight.

I was having issues with my hand going numb from holding that heavy Futaba, switching to the DX3R got me to the end of the main without any hand issues, for a while. I had carpal tunnel syndrome and finally had surgery after a few years. I still like the Spektrum radios and feel they are an excellent value for the money.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AreCee
I switched from Futaba 3PKs to the Spektrum DX3R because of the lighter weight.

I was having issues with my hand going numb from holding that heavy Futaba, switching to the DX3R got me to the end of the main without any hand issues, for a while. I had carpal tunnel syndrome and finally had surgery after a few years. I still like the Spektrum radios and feel they are an excellent value for the money.
Fair enough...

Feature-wise, they are quite similar, just different terms.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

At my track we all use Spektrums because we all started on them. I really feel the problem is the voltage is to low on these. Don't use nimh batteries as they are only 1.2 volts, not enough. I bet the people having the least issues are using alkaline batteries that are 1.5 volts. Life batteries are an even better solution starting at 6.6 volts. I am using NIZN batteries that are coming in at 7.1 volts charged, 1.6 volts each, and the system works great at that voltage. I really feel the glitching is caused by low voltage batteries. I had this same problem on the DX4R Pro before switching to the NIZN batteries.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As far as for racing I agree completely with everyone that they glitch but if you are bashing and playing around the yard a spektrum is perfect for the money.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by platgof
At my track we all use Spektrums because we all started on them. I really feel the problem is the voltage is to low on these. Don't use nimh batteries as they are only 1.2 volts, not enough. I bet the people having the least issues are using alkaline batteries that are 1.5 volts. Life batteries are an even better solution starting at 6.6 volts. I am using NIZN batteries that are coming in at 7.1 volts charged, 1.6 volts each, and the system works great at that voltage. I really feel the glitching is caused by low voltage batteries. I had this same problem on the DX4R Pro before switching to the NIZN batteries.
Where do you get your NIZN batteries?
Old 04-17-2014, 06:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I've had zero problems with my Spectrum radio. Plus, if you start running multiple vehicles, you can get OrangeRx receivers for $10-15.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yosh70

Thats because for every 10 radios sold, 8 are Spektrum and 2 are Sanwa/Airtronics/KO Propo/Futaba etc.
Where did you get that statistic from? Recently at the TITC race in Thailand with over 300 drivers from all over the world present I didn't see any more than 1-2% of the racers using spectrum. I'd say it was somewhere equal between futaba and sanwa users with a few KO's. If spectrum is so good why don't more real racers use it? To me it's a cheap radio which is value for money for the occasional racer/basher. I just wouldn't rely on one..... Why skimp on the most important piece of kit you have? You spend 1000's on top end servos, esc's, motors engines chassis etc and then stick a spectrum in the car with $10 orange receivers with terrible latency! Doesn't make sense to me..
Old 04-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dan_vector
Where did you get that statistic from? Recently at the TITC race in Thailand with over 300 drivers from all over the world present I didn't see any more than 1-2% of the racers using spectrum. I'd say it was somewhere equal between futaba and sanwa users with a few KO's. If spectrum is so good why don't more real racers use it? To me it's a cheap radio which is value for money for the occasional racer/basher. I just wouldn't rely on one..... Why skimp on the most important piece of kit you have? You spend 1000's on top end servos, esc's, motors engines chassis etc and then stick a spectrum in the car with $10 orange receivers with terrible latency! Doesn't make sense to me..
Doesn't make sense to me to be a hater. <joking - you are entitled to your opinion, as am I>
Old 04-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Hmm..I guess anyone who drives for TLR isn't a "real racer"

They must get all the "special" "glitchless" Spektrum radios

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.