Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DX4S Telemetry?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 04:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Default DX4S Telemetry?

Hey guy's I had a quick question I recently purchased a Spektrum DX4S with an SRS4210 receiver, I also purchased a Temperature Sensor SPM1450. I tried plugging the Temp Sensor into the "data" port on my receiver but I am not seeing any temperature reading on my Tx. Am I doing something wrong? I also tried rebinding with it plugged in and it still doesn't work. Do I need a telemetry module that plugs in my receiver?
Old 04-04-2014, 05:26 PM
Tech Rookie

So I take it nobody knows I guess Spektrum and telemetry is not as popular as I thought!
Old 04-04-2014, 07:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I CAN HELP YOU.
in order to have tele,etry on spectrum you need an telemetry receiver...
the only receiver that takes telemetry is the 3300t
Old 04-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DragonSav
So I take it nobody knows I guess Spektrum and telemetry is not as popular as I thought!
Considering you have an AVC receiver and NOT a telemetry one, reading the manual is obviously a dying tradition. Let alone even checking Spektrums website.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Yosh70
Considering you have an AVC receiver and NOT a telemetry one, reading the manual is obviously a dying tradition. Let alone even checking Spektrums website.
Thanks for your input, BUT if you read the DX4S manual which I HAVE. It states how the Telemetry is displayed and the different types of sensors that can be monitored on the remote nothing about connection and in the SRS4210 manual which I have READ it states no information about the data port in the receiver. If the receiver is not a telemetry receiver as you state then what is the data port for? MY LHS told me i could plug in the temp sensor and it would work. The "dying" tradition is not dead but the "tradition of someone helping on a forum seems to be dying" enlighten me someone please
Old 04-05-2014, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

the srs4210 is in fact not a telemetry capable receiver. to run telemetry with a spektrum you need a sr3300t. my guess on the data port is it would be used with the new spektrum active vehicle control.

imo, kinda stupid the sell a telemetry capable radio system without a telemetry sensors or a telemetry capable receiver, but i guess thats spektrum for you
Old 04-05-2014, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DragonSav
Thanks for your input, BUT if you read the DX4S manual which I HAVE. It states how the Telemetry is displayed and the different types of sensors that can be monitored on the remote nothing about connection and in the SRS4210 manual which I have READ it states no information about the data port in the receiver. If the receiver is not a telemetry receiver as you state then what is the data port for? MY LHS told me i could plug in the temp sensor and it would work. The "dying" tradition is not dead but the "tradition of someone helping on a forum seems to be dying" enlighten me someone please
AVC is mentioned thruout both manuals and the receiver itself even has AVC on it. Your DX4S is telemetry capable but you have purchase the proper receiver.

Your LHS obviously has no clue since a 3300T receiver has temp, rpm and lap inputs for telemetry. If the data port was for telemetry, where would you plug in for laps or rpm? That port is something not mentioned anywhere, perhaps for future use, who knows.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Yosh70
AVC is mentioned thruout both manuals and the receiver itself even has AVC on it. Your DX4S is telemetry capable but you have purchase the proper receiver.

Your LHS obviously has no clue since a 3300T receiver has temp, rpm and lap inputs for telemetry. If the data port was for telemetry, where would you plug in for laps or rpm? That port is something not mentioned anywhere, perhaps for future use, who knows.
I didn't say anything about AVC not being in the manual. I am well aware of the AVC feature. I have it enabled in my buggy and it's been pretty cool so far, although I don't need the radio to drive for me it's cool to see technology. Thanks for your responses guys you have both helped me. I will look into the telemetry receiver although maybe it would be much easier to just bend over and check my temps lol
Old 04-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Tech Regular

i use an airtronics mt4 and have telemetry hooked up on all my nitros. i find the info to be quite valuable, far better than just a temp gun. if im out bashing or running laps i can just glance down and see the temps, it also has an over temp alarm so i know at an instant once im above my preset limits. i do also use the rpm on several of my cars, its quite valuable info as well, really helps with tuning shift points.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Hmmmm I have never thought of the shift point advantage I may rethink this if I can find a used receiver my LHS sells them for around $109
Old 05-03-2014, 11:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Actually Spektrum had a data module (SPM1325) that did plug into the data port of an SR3001 3 channel receiver (also discontinued) at one time so I wouldn't consider it completely unreasonable to believe that the data port on the new receiver could be used in the same fashion. Of course it cannot be used that way and, as far as Spektrum documentation goes, the data port on the SR4210 remains a mystery, (other than it does not appear to be for telemetry data). As others have stated, the SR3300T seems to be the only option left. Even so it is only a DSM receiver, not even DSM2, so there seems to be no way to have telemetry with a DSMR receiver. The telemetry compatibility on the DX4R PRO and DX4S must therefore be considered only a "backwards compatibility" feature.

Good Luck!
Old 05-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by slowone96
Actually Spektrum had a data module (SPM1325) that did plug into the data port of an SR3001 3 channel receiver (also discontinued) at one time so I wouldn't consider it completely unreasonable to believe that the data port on the new receiver could be used in the same fashion. Of course it cannot be used that way and, as far as Spektrum documentation goes, the data port on the SR4210 remains a mystery, (other than it does not appear to be for telemetry data). As others have stated, the SR3300T seems to be the only option left. Even so it is only a DSM receiver, not even DSM2, so there seems to be no way to have telemetry with a DSMR receiver. The telemetry compatibility on the DX4R PRO and DX4S must therefore be considered only a "backwards compatibility" feature.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the info I am glad I am not the only one who see's the data port as a mystery. In the end I decided not to use the Telemetry features I can easily tweak a needle here and there and not have to measure temps the whole day.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...rs4210-SPM4010
At the bottom....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8HFhAKdj5I
In the comments....

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...4s-dx3c-2.html
Search function...who knew?

And I didnt mention it before but if the manual doesnt state what the data port is for, why do you assume its for telemetry?

Last edited by Dave H; 05-25-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:25 AM
Tech Rookie

All of the links you posted state you would need a "telemetry receiver" to use the telemetry functions of the Dx4S. If you read my origional post I asked if I would need a "telemetry module" to use my telemetry functions. Although I did read and have seen the links that you posted being new to the whole telemetry functions of the Spektrum system I thought when they stated you needed a "telemetry receiver" that it was an additional "module" as I stated in the op that plugged into the "data" port not a completely new receiver. Especially after spending over $300 and it coming with two receivers one with the fancy AVC you would think it came with a telemetry capable receiver out of the box! Your research hasn't stated anything new to me I was just such a noob that I didn't understand a completely new receiver was needed. Oh and I didn't "assume" the data port was for telemetry as I stated before my LHS told me with no hesitation that I could plug the temp sensor in and bingo it would appear on my TX screen!
Old 05-25-2014, 08:21 PM
Tech Champion

OK, enough of the bickering. I tried cleaning up the thread as best I could.

Please stay on topic, by all means help each other if possible, if not kindly move on.