Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Trinity D3.5 still banned after 3/30/14? >

Trinity D3.5 still banned after 3/30/14?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trinity D3.5 still banned after 3/30/14?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

just called an outlaw motor after the 1st .
Old 03-26-2014, 03:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SH
Why should something be banned just cause it suppose to have "better" performance than other brands? Ban this & ban that, but if it's available for everyone to the general market what's the issue?
You don't want to go down that path. Remember the black diamond speed control? They clearly had an advantage against other speed controls and they knew it. They charged 350-400. I can see this happening with motors if it's not regulated.

Last edited by malkiy; 03-26-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Ask yourself this. If your driving is equal to the other guy but he beats you because he has the hot motor of the month are you willing to buy a new motor every month ? Without rules there would be a motor war and you might have to! It has been this way in RC since day one. I'll take rules and motors I can run fairly for a decent period of time. People worrying about having the fastest motors are fools imo.
Originally Posted by SH
Why should something be banned just cause it suppose to have "better" performance than other brands? Ban this & ban that, but if it's available for everyone to the general market what's the issue?
Old 03-26-2014, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkiiina
Does anyone really care what ROAR thinks at local club races? At our track, as long as it's stamped 17.5 its pretty much legal. There is some self governance in that mod rotors are out as are the novak "outlaw" motors and almost everyone runs a D3.5, KS, or a TP and the racing is very close week in and out.

I look forward to seeing what happens but if its not a ROAR race does it really matter?
Many tracks, while not ROAR tracks, abide by ROAR rules. Like mine.

Originally Posted by JimmyG
Timing or no timing, it doesn't matter. The stock class is about driving. Let them make the motors, and those who enjoy driving, will drive!!
Sorry JimmG, you're thinking of spec classes. Stock has always been about trying to get that last 1/10th of a second over your competition. That's why we see souped up and tweaked versions of 17.5 motors selling for $150.00, when their run-of-the-mill everyday counterparts cost half that. If you don’t tell racers exactly what equipment they must run, those with the means will run whatever gives them (or what they think gives them) an advantage.

Originally Posted by SH
My opinion is it shouldn't be.
If the item in question is within tolerances dictated by the racing organization, then it shouldn't be restricted on the sole basis that it in some way works better than all its peers.
The reason you see many tracks ban the D3.5 17.5 stems from the original ban laid down by ROAR. Many club tracks adhered to that ruling when it came down. When the ban was lifted most of those tracks left the ban in place. Why? I can only surmise that most membership at these club tracks running D3.5-based motors had to pull their wallets out to buy a different motor, so when the ban was lifted everyone was already running something other than a D3.5-based motor so it was not a big deal to leave the ban in place.
Furthermore, can you imagine if these tracks lifted the ban when ROAR lifted the ban and one or two guys show back up with D3.5's? EVERY other racer not running the D3.5 would be throwing a fit because they were required to give up their D3.5 and buy a different motor only months prior. It’s just easier to leave the ban in place.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Its good untill the D4 is released.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:36 AM
SH
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asc6000
Ask yourself this. If your driving is equal to the other guy but he beats you because he has the hot motor of the month are you willing to buy a new motor every month ? Without rules there would be a motor war and you might have to! It has been this way in RC since day one. I'll take rules and motors I can run fairly for a decent period of time. People worrying about having the fastest motors are fools imo.
Wow, I was referring to the posters club banning a motor that has been roar legal. I have seen people with other brands of motor's winning against the likes of the D3.5 so it's not like it's an unbeatable motor.

As for people buying the 'motor of the month' well some in rc do that regardless.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by biz77
The reason you see many tracks ban the D3.5 17.5 stems from the original ban laid down by ROAR. Many club tracks adhered to that ruling when it came down. When the ban was lifted most of those tracks left the ban in place. Why? I can only surmise that most membership at these club tracks running D3.5-based motors had to pull their wallets out to buy a different motor, so when the ban was lifted everyone was already running something other than a D3.5-based motor so it was not a big deal to leave the ban in place.
Furthermore, can you imagine if these tracks lifted the ban when ROAR lifted the ban and one or two guys show back up with D3.5's? EVERY other racer not running the D3.5 would be throwing a fit because they were required to give up their D3.5 and buy a different motor only months prior. It’s just easier to leave the ban in place.
This is the main reason to leave the ban in place locally.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'll put a SchuurSpeed 17.5 up against a D3.5 any day of the week.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SH
As for people buying the 'motor of the month' well some in rc do that regardless.
They can only do that if there is a newer "better" motor each month. Otherwise they are just buying a new version of last month's (or year's) motor.

Nothing wrong with buying a fresh one of the same motor every month if you've got the money to burn, but that's not the same as feeling you have to buy a new motor because it is different and faster.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

"Under the terms of the agreement, the TR/N/ TY D3. 5/ 1 7.5 Trinity motor will be reinstated on the ROAR approved list on July 1, 2013 and will remain on that list though the first quarter of 2014, upon the release of the new TR/N/ TY D4/1 7.5, when it will be removed. Trincorp has guaranteed this will occur before March 30, 2014."

As to what kind of guarantee Trinity has made - legal or otherwise binding, is anyone's guess.

IMHO ..

The D3.5 is the fastest 17.5 on the ROAR approved list at this time. When I say fastest I take into consideration - top speed, torque and fade. I'm not sure about off-road, but in on-road where we have more traction and can put the power down, it's pretty evident. Look at the big races this past year, if it was legal - 99.9% of the people ran a D3.5 17.5 - that was the case at Nats, Snowbirds, etc. If it was legal, I ran one without question - because I know the competition would. When you spend money to go to these big races on airfare, hotel, entry fees - you don't leave anything to chance, especially the right motor. It is what it is - sad to say, but it made my motor choice easy.

Now ..

The D3.5 is not some magic bullet. If you are 3-5 tenths off the pace per lap, then look no further than your wrench. Your car setup or your driving could be improved. If your crashing and loosing 2-3 seconds per crash, a D3.5 won't help that. However, if you are 1-2 tenths off the pace, then a D3.5 could help minimize that gap - of course with the right gearing and timing combo.

And ...

Trinity has released a motor since the D3.5 - it's called the Killshot and one might be able to stretch that to mean, there already is a replacement to the D3.5.

Hoping to hear more soon.

Last edited by ByteStream; 03-28-2014 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Corrected Info
Old 03-28-2014, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Actually it looks like ROAR has.

http://www.roarracing.com/downloads/..._Rule_Book.pdf
Bottom of page 46 and top of page 47. All 20AWG references have been struck leaving only 0.813mm
Old 03-28-2014, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Odin544
Actually it looks like ROAR has.

http://www.roarracing.com/downloads/..._Rule_Book.pdf
Bottom of page 46 and top of page 47. All 20AWG references have been struck leaving only 0.813mm
Good find .. corrected my post.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EricW
I'll put a SchuurSpeed 17.5 up against a D3.5 any day of the week.
I guess you would since Mr. Schurr was the one who banned the D3.