R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 03-18-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Spektrum DX3R Pro or DX4S

I have narrowed my choice down to these 2 radios and I am kind of torn between the 2

The 3R Pro is used but in great condition and the 4S is new in the box

I will be running 1/10th onroad (2 Cars)

Any opinions are welcome
Mike
pantherblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Hmmm you'd be better of with a sanwa or KO or futaba radio to be honest. People do have issues with Spektrum stuff like glitching and latency issues. However if you insist in getting the Spektrum go with the later technology on the DX4S and also with it being NIB you know what you are getting.
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
Tech Master

Pretty easy choice.....the DX4S. Besides being BNIB, it has backlit LCD screen, integrated antenna and altho you may not these features at this time, 4 channels and programming for AVC equipped RC's.

Dont listen to the haters about Spektrum, I have had a DX2, a DX3R and now a DX4R Pro and no problems whatsoever. Sure you're gonna find posts about issues with them, they're bound to be out there as so many have been sold compared to the rest.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Airtronics is difficult for me to get and I want a MT-4 which I have been trying to get for weeks on here but no luck but at the same time I want to support the local stores around my area and they don't carry Airtronics

I need a radio soon as I want to get out and start driving

I can get he DX3R pro for about $175, I have personally seen the radio and it looks pretty much brand new

The DX4S is new and locally sells for $249 which is the same price as A Main
pantherblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The biggest advantage for Spektrum is the availability of cheap generic rx's that work great, and can be had for around $15. They are backwards compatible, meaning you can use previous edition rx's. I have the DX4R Pro and use the Blue rx's, with no problems.
platgof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

love my 4s paid $170 new with 2 rec
bozack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

I just bought the dx4s. The main thing I dont like about it is the trigger trigger tension. Its extremely light. Never had a radio like that. It takes some getting used to. Its not adjustable. Iwould return it for that fact alone but would have to pay shipping and restock fee. If the money wasnt an issue you would be better off with the dx4r. It has tension adjustment.
robzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rnelias Send a message via Skype™ to rnelias
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by platgof View Post
The biggest advantage for Spektrum is the availability of cheap generic rx's that work great, and can be had for around $15. They are backwards compatible, meaning you can use previous edition rx's. I have the DX4R Pro and use the Blue rx's, with no problems.
+1

when buying a tx, people usually forget that they'll also need rx's and, depending on the number of cars they have, the rx's can be much more expensive than the transmitter itself.

I also like Spektrum as you can choose from generic and cheap rx for less important cars and the ultra-expensive telemetry versions for serious racing car.
rnelias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
Tech Elite

I would totally get the DX3R Pro over the DX4S.

And for the record, I have NEVER had one issue with any Spektrum radio since 2006, not to say that its perfect, cause nothing is. Ive seen issues with every product from every manufacture, personally. Im not reporting what I heard other people say or what I've read, my opinion comes from hands on experience.

I dont use any cheap generic crap - and people wonder why that have issues....
Old 06-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Airtronics and futaba usually have a better fit and finish and feel a little more solid that comparable spektrum transmitters. I have not seen the newer dx4s though

Both my 4pl and mt4 were great though.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:21 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to Rattfink
Default MT4 switch

I Have had no glitching ever with my MY MT4 however the selection buttons can be over sensitive. I have had issues staging at a race at Silver Dollar when the spektrum dx3r just stopped working. Never happened again or since.(no response from car)
Rattfink is offline   Reply With Quote