Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Can a steering servo be too fast? >

Can a steering servo be too fast?

Can a steering servo be too fast?

Old 03-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Can a steering servo be too fast?

I've been looking to get another new servo and was thinking about getting a KO Propo mostly because I've heard people say "they are the best". Looking at the specs, they don't seem to be the best. The RSX Power 436 oz-in / .11 sec seems powerful, but rather slow. The RSX response 242 oz-in / .06 sec is quick, but by today's standards isn't very powerful. Maybe it's longevity? If the RSX power had the transit time of the response and longevity that would be nice and closer to being worth $200

Compare that to Radio Post 459 oz-in / .07 for Signature Series, 419oz-in / .09 for Red, 305 oz-in / .07 for green. Jared Tebo commented in his blog that he Runs RSX Power for steering and throttle. He said he inadvertently ran a longer servo horn (which would make the wheels turn faster), but that messed up his front end feeling. I'm inferring that he didn't like the extra speed. But why?
Old 03-07-2014, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

For what vehicle bro? My opinion is, no, you can't have too much speed. You can dial speed out with most radios if you need to. I like very fast servos and I never dial speed out. My steering hand is all of the control I need. On the other hand, for an inexperienced driver who doesn't have that kind of control over himself, speed will only hurt him. The slowest servos I run are .08 sec. and they get faster from there.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

It's for a Kyosho. TKI3. The faster the better is what I thought as well until I read the post by Tebo.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

Oh, checked out the specs on the Radiopost Signature Series. Wow! My buddy has a few of the greens and they're amazing, but that thing is SICK ! ! ! If I ran e-scale I'd be all over that.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by My ST-RR EVO
It's for a Kyosho. TKI3. The faster the better is what I thought as well until I read the post by Tebo.
KO servos are high end, but I think they're overpriced. I'd take any of the Radiopost servos over just about anything. Any of them would suit your needs well, but why not just get the Signature Series and never second guess yourself? I wouldn't let something Tebo said affect your opinion.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by My ST-RR EVO
He said he inadvertently ran a longer servo horn (which would make the wheels turn faster), but that messed up his front end feeling. I'm inferring that he didn't like the extra speed. But why?
Maybe he meant that the arc of the arm is different, and therefore changed the rate (like expo).
Old 03-07-2014, 07:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

the ko servos are very high quality. you pay for that quality. fit and finish and materials, and precision. these things all add cost.

and a servo can certainly be too fast. the faster the servo the more "twitchy" feeling a car can be. for some drivers the twitch can lead to slower times as a lot more concentration goes into driving the line you want.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:28 AM
Tech Regular

The servos we have now compared to 15 years ago are night and day. Almost every setup I have now, the servo is turned down (servo speed in the radio). I used to use Hitech, then moved on to Spektrum, but now I use OMG.
The issue is, each vehicle has a specific application. I run Spec Slash class at the local track, and they allow you to upgrade the servo, but not the saver. The slash doesnt have a servo saver insert for hitech. So I use the Spektrum A6020. Its not overpowered, and is smooth + its 40 bucks. A stock Traxxas servo is 40 bucks..

Another thing to change all of this... add a bec, and you will see a huge difference in performance in any servo.

Its a trial and error thing. You need to play with the settings on the radio to get the servo and truck to handle your driving skills. If you cannot do that in the radio, then you need to pick the right servo.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A faster servo requires a different driving (or handling of the controls) style. With a slow servo, you can get away with a "digital" style of driving (only 0 or 1 - full or nothing, so to speak) easier, since the slower servo will smooth out these hectic or jerky inputs, while a quick servo will react... well quicker to them, so you've got to make sure those inputs are smoother in the first place.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:05 AM
Tech Master

Thanks guys
Old 03-12-2014, 11:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I like .10 to .08
Old 06-01-2014, 05:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up servo speed, vs torque

On a muggy, truggy ,mbx7te, would the 450 oz-in of signature series radio post servo be enough torque , I like the speed of .07 and if its too twitchy I could expo it out or slow it down with dx4s transmitter , its too bad that " protek 170t servo " is 630 oz-in but .11 for speed, until I read this post I thought that was fast, im thinking the radio post servo will have to do.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I'm in the market for new servos as well. It came down to the rsx line and the futaba s9353hv. Looks like its gonna be futaba for me.

305 oz of torque and .06 speed. I don't run truggy anymore so that's all I would need
Old 06-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RDEERJOE
On a muggy, truggy ,mbx7te, would the 450 oz-in of signature series radio post servo be enough torque , I like the speed of .07 and if its too twitchy I could expo it out or slow it down with dx4s transmitter , its too bad that " protek 170t servo " is 630 oz-in but .11 for speed, until I read this post I thought that was fast, im thinking the radio post servo will have to do.
I have that Radio Post servo and it is great. I was also worried that it might be twitchy but it is not. It is so smooth and responsive. I don't turn it down at all. I'm thinking of putting one in my other car.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Too much speed can cause ill handling in some instances. Car reacts too fast. Back-end can snap around. Lot of us on oval carpet pan car turn steering speed down to aid in handling. I use KO servos and like them very much. Well built and you're getting good quality.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.