Search

Fed up with brown outs

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 10:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Fed up with brown outs

Hoping for some "fix-ya" advice.
I bought a used Ko Propo EX-10 Helios which came with a Spektrum SR3001 Pro receiver and SM1001 Pro transmitter module. It browns out at the worst times! On the straight away, out of turns, prior to a jump, during a jump when flight attitude needs adjustment.... pretty much all the effen time!
Sometimes, the problem does not show itself at all, for short periods of time.
I'm using a Savox 1267 servo, and I have a Castle BEC properly installed to prevent glitching. I'm also using Castle MMP with 3800kv motor. I use the Castle Link to program the esc.
Is this particular Spektrum equipment unreliable? Is there a fix for it? The antenna has been relocated (by the previous owner) from the side of the Tx module to the top of the controller.
I'll be willing to refit the controller with Ko Propo equipment, but that'll cost $200.
What other Rx/Tx modules are compatible that may not cost as much as Ko Propo?
Any comments and feedback are greatly appreciated!
Old 02-18-2014, 10:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Get a better radio or get rid of the Savox. Problem solved. Savox are one of the most power hungry servos you can get. That and their QC sucks, so sometimes you get one that works great and doesn't draw a huge amount of power and other times you get a crappy one. Its a roll of the dice, and the price reflects that. Also my understanding is the older 2.4 modules compound the problem.

Something to also check to help reduce the amount of power the servo needs is your endpoints. If the servo hits the limit the wheels can go but the servo wants to go further it increases the power drawn. This doesn't seem to be the issue though since its doing it on straightaways as well. A higher C rated battery may help if you are running a lower C rated battery. What it comes down to is something is drawing more power than the rx can supply. Whether it is because of a general lack of power supplied or too much power being drawn. Better Tx and Rx can handle more power supplied to them. Better servos draw less power. Its not always just one thing. Sometimes its a package deal that's the problem.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:00 PM
Tech Addict

There is a known problem running Spektrum receivers and Savox servos. There shouldn't be a problem since you have the external bec. Most of the time a glitch buster or bec will fix the problem. You could just get a different servo instead of the Ko Propo stuff. Might fix your problem. My LHS stop carrying Savox servos cause they are such a problem.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Old Spektrum = junk... sorry to break the news.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the replies! What combos do any of you recommend?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:19 AM
Tech Addict

airtronics mx-v for under $80 on ebay is a great radio w/o the brownouts.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

If your using the CC BEC(10amps) and still having issues. You have other problems...

Are you sure it's hooked up right?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zixxerluv
Hoping for some "fix-ya" advice.
I bought a used Ko Propo EX-10 Helios which came with a Spektrum SR3001 Pro receiver and SM1001 Pro transmitter module. It browns out at the worst times! On the straight away, out of turns, prior to a jump, during a jump when flight attitude needs adjustment.... pretty much all the effen time!
Sometimes, the problem does not show itself at all, for short periods of time.
I'm using a Savox 1267 servo, and I have a Castle BEC properly installed to prevent glitching. I'm also using Castle MMP with 3800kv motor. I use the Castle Link to program the esc.
Is this particular Spektrum equipment unreliable? Is there a fix for it? The antenna has been relocated (by the previous owner) from the side of the Tx module to the top of the controller.
I'll be willing to refit the controller with Ko Propo equipment, but that'll cost $200.
What other Rx/Tx modules are compatible that may not cost as much as Ko Propo?
Any comments and feedback are greatly appreciated!
I have a fair amount of experience with the MMP (albeit the 1-cell version) with 3800 4-pole Trinity motors. My data logs show that they can draw enough amperage to max out the MMP. With that being said, it's possible that a contributing factor to your brown-outs is that the battery voltage is sagging enough to cause the receiver issues. This seems likely as in your description you state that the brown-outs happen at all times, which means that the servo isn't necessarily the issue. What do you have the BEC voltage set to?

Originally Posted by Odin544
Get a better radio or get rid of the Savox. Problem solved. Savox are one of the most power hungry servos you can get. That and their QC sucks, so sometimes you get one that works great and doesn't draw a huge amount of power and other times you get a crappy one. Its a roll of the dice, and the price reflects that. Also my understanding is the older 2.4 modules compound the problem.
Do you have any data to support this? All of mine shows that they don't draw much. Another forum member showed, using an oscilloscope, that they do draw aggressively at the start. For reference I have attached logs for a 1258 and 2271.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Micah123
airtronics mx-v for under $80 on ebay is a great radio w/o the brownouts.
Thank you, checking that out. That is cheap alternative for sure!

Originally Posted by whitrzac
If your using the CC BEC(10amps) and still having issues. You have other problems...

Are you sure it's hooked up right?
BEC is spliced/soldered into the ESC battery connections, and is plugged into the BATT terminal in the receiver (even tried it in the AUX terminal, same crap), ESC is plugged in with its' red power wire unplugged. Can't imagine it's any less simple. But I do agree, I have a problem elsewhere. I suppose, in the meantime, I'll peel off the heat shrink and have a look at my BEC-to-ESC battery connection. It might be possible I have a cold solder there. I'm better at soldering now than I was then, so that could be it.
BTW, I am running SMC 6500 70C batteries. Shouldn't be a problem with power delivery. And, I'm feeding the Savox all the power it can handle.
I'll look at anything you guys suggest.
That is why I'm getting so upset about it. I've heard and read enough remarks about older Spektrum equipment and Savox. Heck, A-Main even includes a footnote about Savox servos in their description: *NOTE: Certain combinations of receiver and ESC have been found to cause "Brown Out" issues when combined with Savox servos. An external BEC, or BEC stabilizing receiver capacitor may be needed for efficient, glitch free operation in low voltage electric applications.
I bought my servo from a hobby shop on impluse because my stocker fried. I wouldn't have bought one if I had read that or been told about it.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ufoDziner
I have a fair amount of experience with the MMP (albeit the 1-cell version) with 3800 4-pole Trinity motors. My data logs show that they can draw enough amperage to max out the MMP. With that being said, it's possible that a contributing factor to your brown-outs is that the battery voltage is sagging enough to cause the receiver issues. This seems likely as in your description you state that the brown-outs happen at all times, which means that the servo isn't necessarily the issue. What do you have the BEC voltage set to?
BEC is set to 7.0V. It is a Savox 1267SG, Speed(@7.4V sec/60): .09
Torque(@7.4V oz-in): 277.7
Do I need to custom set that voltage? Should I give it less?
Thank you for your input!
Old 02-19-2014, 09:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Funny thing is, I recall that I didn't have this problem when I installed the servo in my Slash 4x4, which has the stock VXL-3S esc.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Can the servo run at 6volts? Try setting the bec to 6v and see what happens.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

BEC is set to 7.0V. It is a Savox 1267SG, Speed(@7.4V sec/60): .09
Torque(@7.4V oz-in): 277.7
Do I need to custom set that voltage? Should I give it less?
Thank you for your input!
Funny thing is, I recall that I didn't have this problem when I installed the servo in my Slash 4x4, which has the stock VXL-3S esc.
Originally Posted by 2pfspiff
Can the servo run at 6volts? Try setting the bec to 6v and see what happens.
On Using 3 cells the voltage never gets low enough to cause an issue. I suggest setting the BEC to 6v as well. There will be less fluctuation.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

I seem to recall that using less volts to feed the servo can help the mmp esc. I think I will try less volts, per the recommendations.
Could the mmp 's lower amp limit be the problem with using power hungry servos? Thanks again, for responses.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

I seem to recall that using less volts to feed the servo can help the mmp esc. I think I will try less volts, per the recommendations.
Could the mmp 's lower amp limit be the problem with using power hungry servos? Thanks again, for responses.
You're not using the MMP's BEC, so the MMP BEC issue doesn't matter. Also, per your description, it's the motor that is what is consuming the power in this case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.