Wiki Posts
Search

Gens ace balance lead broke

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 09:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Gens ace balance lead broke

Hey guys I have a gens ace hard case lipo and the lead is broke off down deep inside, how can I get it out? Thanks
Old 02-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tuba6869
Hey guys I have a gens ace hard case lipo and the lead is broke off down deep inside, how can I get it out? Thanks
Had this happen on a Venom. I had to split the cases and solder a new wire. Obviously it will void any warranty ( mine was 2 years old) so if you are not concerned with that, then do the same. It is not the safest practice BTW but can work if you can not send it in for repair.

I suggest doing this on a table outside so you can jettison it if something goes wrong.

Use a hobby knife and run it along the seem a couple times gently. You don't want to puncture a cell or cut another wire. Then split the cases. Re-solder a wire and apply heat shrink for protection. Put the cases back together and wrap it with colorful duct/electrical tape. Keep an eye on it for the first charge to make sure everything is electricly sound.

Please be careful. If you are not comfortable doing this, see if someone can help you. If no one can, choke it up as a loss and get a new one.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Do you mean the small bullet plug for the balancing port on the pack? The wire broke and left the plug deep in the port?
Would stink to have to crack the case to fish that out if that's the case. Did you try a pin or something to try and pull it out?
Old 02-18-2014, 05:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jerm13
Had this happen on a Venom. I had to split the cases and solder a new wire. Obviously it will void any warranty ( mine was 2 years old) so if you are not concerned with that, then do the same. It is not the safest practice BTW but can work if you can not send it in for repair
I thought Venom had a $5 trade in if you had anything go wrong with the pack, why would you void that? Is two years outside of that exchange option?
Old 02-18-2014, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lbenton
I thought Venom had a $5 trade in if you had anything go wrong with the pack, why would you void that? Is two years outside of that exchange option?
There was a couple things that happened. No stickers on the pack, didn't have proof of purchase. They just wanted a whole lot of things I didn't have/ could provide so I was kind of out of luck and didn't want to hassle with anything. It was a back-up/ practice pack anyway. Plus, Im a curious sob. That was end of 2012. I still have it and use it so I must have done something right.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:34 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

what kind of solder did you use? I tried to fix a turnigy battery because the lead out of the pack broke in half. I have plenty of metal strip lead coming out of the battery but nothing seems to stick to it. they obviously soldered it but my 60/40 lead solder will not.

I've prepped it by scraping, sanding, fluxing. everything you're supposed to do. I figured they're using a special solder for alum. http://kappalloy.com/aloy-solder.php

it's $15 plus $12.20 for shipping for a little tube of it. heck for a few more $ I can replace the battery.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mtpocketsracing
what kind of solder did you use? I tried to fix a turnigy battery because the lead out of the pack broke in half. I have plenty of metal strip lead coming out of the battery but nothing seems to stick to it. they obviously soldered it but my 60/40 lead solder will not.

I've prepped it by scraping, sanding, fluxing. everything you're supposed to do. I figured they're using a special solder for alum. http://kappalloy.com/aloy-solder.php

it's $15 plus $12.20 for shipping for a little tube of it. heck for a few more $ I can replace the battery.
I just used my regular solder. scuffed up the tab with a sanding disc on the dremel and got the iron set at like 850* ( what ever is max), tinned it and then connected and reflowed the solder.

Durring the manufacturing process, they use robotic spot welders so the brazzing/soldering is done at really high temps ( +1000*). But because it is almost instantainious, there is hardly a chance for anything to get hurt from the heat.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:24 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Mine has a blob of solder like most stuff. it's connected to a circuit board. I don't think Spot welders leave these blobs. I could be wrong. The lead out of one cell tore in half somehow. So I'd be soldering the lead together. That would be a good job for spot weld.