Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Binding Futaba 4LPS? Instructions Don't Match Transmitter Menus... >

Binding Futaba 4LPS? Instructions Don't Match Transmitter Menus...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Binding Futaba 4LPS? Instructions Don't Match Transmitter Menus...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 09:45 PM
Tech Adept

Default Binding Futaba 4LPS? Instructions Don't Match Transmitter Menus...

I recently purchased a Futaba 4LPS to replace all my cheap 2.4ghz controllers. I am now starting to regret it. The menus for binding are not intuitive at all, which would not be that big of a deal, as it is really a one time thing. The problem i am having is that there appears to have been a transmitter firmware update or something on my transmitter since the instructions were published, as my menus do not match what the manual says (Even in the pics).

I have my receiver originally included with the 4LPS in my SCX10, and purchased two "R204GF-E" Antenna-less receivers for my SC10B, and RC8.2E. After what I can only call button mashing in the RX menus, I finally got the RC8.2E Bound, and unfortunately, have no idea what I finally did to make it work so I can reproduce it with my SC10B. If someone could talk me down of the ledge and explain how to do this before I smash about $2K in RC equipment, it would be greatly appreciated. I have been in the hobby 30 years, and have never been as frustrated as I am right now.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Futaba's are really simple. Turn radio on. Turn car on. Push button on receiver until green light comes on. Done.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Slide power switch to the left
Click "rx mode"
Select proper type of receiver
Scroll down and press and hold "link:exec" until timer starts
Once timer starts press button on receiver
Done
Old 02-14-2014, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VenturaDC
Slide power switch to the left
Click "rx mode"
Select proper type of receiver
Scroll down and press and hold "link:exec" until timer starts
Once timer starts press button on receiver
Done
That is only for the telemetry receivers (T-FHSS).

Pg 32 of the manual

Receivers other than T-FHSS

1 Bring the transmitter and the receiver close to each other, within 20 inches (half meter).
2 Turn on the transmitter.
3 Turn on the receiver.
4 Push the tactile switch of the receiver.
When the link is complete, the LED in the receiver changes
to solid green.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:41 PM
Tech Adept

Bummer, none of this works. I have either a bad controller or receivers I'm guessing. So frustrating. I should have just stuck with Spektrum like I use for my airplanes, all of that stuff works flawlessly. This has be a wildly huge disappointment. Plus the joystick on this controller is either a complete garbage quality part, or mine got shipped broken. It really sucks when you finally pull the trigger on buying what you think are high quality electronics, and end up in this situation.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication
Bummer, none of this works. I have either a bad controller or receivers I'm guessing. So frustrating. I should have just stuck with Spektrum like I use for my airplanes, all of that stuff works flawlessly. This has be a wildly huge disappointment. Plus the joystick on this controller is either a complete garbage quality part, or mine got shipped broken. It really sucks when you finally pull the trigger on buying what you think are high quality electronics, and end up in this situation.
It must be defective. I just got one and the little joystick works great, and the binding does too. I would try to get a replacement.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Do you have a light on the receiver at all ? I got a brand new out of box 204 that would not even power up, second worked perfect using the instructions provided above for fhss receiver.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I had a heck of a time getting my R204GF-E to bind with my 4PL but it finially worked. Put my daughters SCT out on the track and it promptly "flew" off the track and into the coke machine. Pulled it out and never got it to work again. It's in my carport... somewhere with the rest of the crap that needs to be thrown away.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Odin544
That is only for the telemetry receivers (T-FHSS).

Pg 32 of the manual

Receivers other than T-FHSS

1 Bring the transmitter and the receiver close to each other, within 20 inches (half meter).
2 Turn on the transmitter.
3 Turn on the receiver.
4 Push the tactile switch of the receiver.
When the link is complete, the LED in the receiver changes
to solid green.
So, I'm having similar problems; I can't even get an LED at all on the rX with the car powered up.

Info:
ESC: Tekin RS Pro
Battery: 2-cell, 7.4v LiPo (charged to 8.4V)
Motor: R1 Wurks 13.5 Brushless
Servo: GoTek GS-D9257 digital servo
Radio: Futaba 4PLS
Receiver: R204GF-E

I have tried setting the 4PLS to both "S-FHSS (NORM)" and "S-FHSS (HIGH)". I have tried plugging the ESC rX plug in to all four ports on the receiver. The radio works with my original receiver (R304-SB) in my other pan car - on a 1-cell with booster.

After I had changed modes a couple of different times, I switch the radio on and off to "save" it. I've even tried setting it in "FHSS" mode.

When I turn on the car at the ESC power switch, I get *nothing* - no LED *at all* on the receiver. I'll hold down the "bind" button on the receiver (with the radio turned on), and get *nothing* at all. The car will power on (although no calibration) with the battery plugged in to the ESC, but UNplugged from the receiver.

These electronics all work with my Spektrum DX3C radio and receiver.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMack12
So, I'm having similar problems; I can't even get an LED at all on the rX with the car powered up.

Info:
ESC: Tekin RS Pro
Battery: 2-cell, 7.4v LiPo (charged to 8.4V)
Motor: R1 Wurks 13.5 Brushless
Servo: GoTek GS-D9257 digital servo
Radio: Futaba 4PLS
Receiver: R204GF-E

I have tried setting the 4PLS to both "S-FHSS (NORM)" and "S-FHSS (HIGH)". I have tried plugging the ESC rX plug in to all four ports on the receiver. The radio works with my original receiver (R304-SB) in my other pan car - on a 1-cell with booster.

After I had changed modes a couple of different times, I switch the radio on and off to "save" it. I've even tried setting it in "FHSS" mode.

When I turn on the car at the ESC power switch, I get *nothing* - no LED *at all* on the receiver. I'll hold down the "bind" button on the receiver (with the radio turned on), and get *nothing* at all. The car will power on (although no calibration) with the battery plugged in to the ESC, but UNplugged from the receiver.

These electronics all work with my Spektrum DX3C radio and receiver.
This might sound silly, but do you have the esc connector flipped and plugged in backwards?
Old 06-22-2016, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That's a good question, because even without the transmitter turned on, if the receiver has power, then it will at least have a red light going, & when the transmitter is on(but not bound), the rx should blink green, & binding is just a matter of making sure the tx is in the right mode(S-FHSS for the 204GF-E, I believe) & push & hold the button on the rx for a second or two, & then it should be solid green. If you have no light on in the rx at all, then it's likely not getting any power....
Old 06-24-2016, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I've seen a lot of issues binding the 4pls, 95% of the time the transmitter is in the wrong rx mode. Make sure it's in s-fhss mode if you're using a s-fhss receiver, otherwise you'll just pull your hair out.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I have same problem 204gf-e i tried reverse ESC connection but still no light receiver. First i got 4 doulbe AA battery ang plug in B- port on reciever till got light then plug ESC reciever and hit the button BINGO. I know 204GF-E reciever its strange bind other than Futaba reciever.