Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
How big of a deal is telemetry for you, looking at DX4s but... >

How big of a deal is telemetry for you, looking at DX4s but...

How big of a deal is telemetry for you, looking at DX4s but...

Old 01-30-2014, 09:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default How big of a deal is telemetry for you, looking at DX4s but...

Wondering if I need all that, see they are also releasing the DX4c and figure I can get a DX3c for cheaper now that they will be discontinuing them.

I want to hit the track more often, but is telemetry really helpful or worth it ?

And what about a backlit screen, does that matter? right now I have a DX3E so I view it as an upgrade regardless of what I do

Thanks
Old 01-30-2014, 10:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I have telemetry on my Airtronics MT4 but I never took the time to actually set it up and use it.

You could look for some used radios in your price range that would give a very decent upgrade. Look into the Airtronics MX-V. It's a VERY nice radio for the price that will do everything you need it to. Seriously, I looked up the settings you can change and everything I use on my MT4 is available on the MX-V. They can be bought on eBay for about $75 with a receiver. A steal, in my opinion.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:03 AM
Tech Regular

Telemetry IMO is a waste of time. The only thing it is good for is a tuning tool. If you know how to tune your stuff, you don't need it. A lot of racers I know, don't use it. Parents use it on their kids cars, so they can train the kids on when to stop..
I have the new Spektrum DX4R Pro, and don't see using it anytime soon.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyG
Telemetry IMO is a waste of time. The only thing it is good for is a tuning tool. If you know how to tune your stuff, you don't need it. A lot of racers I know, don't use it. Parents use it on their kids cars, so they can train the kids on when to stop..
I have the new Spektrum DX4R Pro, and don't see using it anytime soon.
+1

I could maybe see it being used on nitro, and thats a big maybe. You could use it to monitor motor temps or receiver pack voltage. It really just adds complications and failure points. Plus spectrum only rates its stuff to 200 feet, I think. This maybe on older stuff, I have a DX3C and it says 200 feet on it.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

I like the fact that you can monitor the temperature of the brushless motor, nitro engine or gas engine without having to bring her in and stick an infrared gun on it. I'm messing with 1/5th scale stuff so that helps me out quite a bit.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I use my telemetry all the time and like it very much. It's a very good tuning tool in the general sense, but also allows you too see how small changes (such as current track conditions) can affect temps. I've geared up and down based on what I was seeing when the track changed.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:57 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

It is very good for nitro or sct 4x4. For mod buggy its kinda useless, those motors run cool anyway. In 17.5 where you might be pushing temps, it can be usefull. I have a MT4, but honestly, I like like using and external sensor with a RM 2wd buggy. If I go MM, I will probably use the prob. Less airflow on the mid motor and easier to use the prob.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey thanks all, yeah so the cheaper side of me is leaning towards the DX4C as I think it might be all I need, but the DX4S isn't that much more now and comes with two receivers...I might try and check them out this week if possible.