Wiki Posts
Search

Reedy "Black Box" esc

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 03:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Sean Cochran
We played with it some during testing.
Seemed most useful when we were running rear motor buggies.
Now with mid motor it hasn't seemed as necessary.
It will allow you some cool adjustments but the tricky part is selecting the right cross over RPM.
Thanks Sean! Here is another for you. I am running a Reedy Sonic 13.5 with the Blackbox in a centro t4.2 and I would like to hear your thoughts on motor timing. I am running program 1 on the speedo. My question is where would you start with timing? I am currently running 20. I am geared at 26/81. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am about 6" from clearing the triple and would like to get just that little extra oooomff to clear it.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:54 PM
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Spikesef
Thanks Sean! Here is another for you. I am running a Reedy Sonic 13.5 with the Blackbox in a centro t4.2 and I would like to hear your thoughts on motor timing. I am running program 1 on the speedo. My question is where would you start with timing? I am currently running 20. I am geared at 26/81. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am about 6" from clearing the triple and would like to get just that little extra oooomff to clear it.
You can for sure add some motor timing, try 30.
I also think you are under-geared unless your track is very short straight.
Do timing first see how it responds to that then maybe gear up 1-2 teeth.
Keep an eye on motor temps, stay below 160F. Temps shouldn't be an issue though unless the track temp is very high.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:55 AM
Tech Initiate

You can for sure add some motor timing, try 30.
I also think you are under-geared unless your track is very short straight.
Do timing first see how it responds to that then maybe gear up 1-2 teeth.
Keep an eye on motor temps, stay below 160F. Temps shouldn't be an issue though unless the track temp is very high.
Thanks Sean. I will give it a try and will let you know how it goes. Motor temps have been in the 105 range. I just ordered another Blackbox and a sonic 13.5 for the B5m. I am liking this combo more and more each run.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Has anyone tries running this esc in the stock 17.5 class?
Old 03-12-2015, 06:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

This maybe the wrong thread to post only because it's an off road area but I could not resist. I run 1S, 17.5 blinky, 4000mAh 1/10th carpet oval. Installed the Black Box esc. and improved my personal best lap time, improved my best 20 lap avg. (which is close to 1/3rd of the laps we run in 4 min event) and carried the speed the rest of run. Very happy with this esc. Thanks Reedy
Old 03-13-2015, 01:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Sean please check you PM. Thanks
Old 05-19-2015, 06:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I got a black box and ran it in mod over the weekend and it over temped and shut down. I installed the new software and installed my settings and plugged in the ESC and it would not turn on. I can get the ESC to turn on through the programming box hooked to my pc but will not turn on when plugged into a lipo

Any help would be nice it was a awsome ESC. Thanks Chris
Old 05-19-2015, 06:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Check your lipo shut off settings. Happened to someone at my local track, however theirs was turning off just cutting off power.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Oh I never thought of that I will and let you know thanks
Old 05-31-2015, 04:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Punch setting

I was wondering why every setup sheet on the Internet shows a 100% punch setup. The manual recommends this setup also. I want a nearly linear throttle feel. Thus, is it better to run the esc with 0%punch or do I get something wrong. What are your experiences?
Old 05-31-2015, 07:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Losing power?

Hello everyone, need a little help I just set up a B5M with a reedy blackbox and 17.5 sonic. I calibrated and set up to program #1. After 2min of driving the car it drops down to only 1/2 the speed. I turn off my radio and turn back on then the car will be back to normal for about 2more mins.

Even when the car is running at top speed seems a little slow. Gearing 34/69

Please post if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2015, 07:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'll be honest and would like to run a reedy blackbox, but seen to many fail in person and read about to many issues…..

It seems all/most esc's have switch issues and with the switch being internal, is that better or worse? Are the failures due to the switch but you can't diagnose because its internal?

They may have great customer service but i don't want to have to return a unit and wait for a new one to arrive, that would be almost 2 weeks time or more. When they send a new unit is it repaired or refurb or a new one?

Has the reliability gotten better, have there been improvements?
Old 06-04-2015, 08:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You have to save the settings after making your changes.
Use the left button, sorry can't recall how its labeled, to get back to the screen that says "change settings" scroll down to "save profile" and select ok.

Thanks for your post on how to save changes. I couldn't seem to figure it out but a Google search took me to your post.

I have not been on the track yet with the black box but wanted to report that everything is working fine. I don't really understand what changing frequency on throttle and brake does but I will do some testing at the track.

Last edited by Fastforward; 06-04-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:50 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fastforward
Thanks for your post on how to save changes. I couldn't seem to figure it out but a Google search took me to your post.

I have not been on the track yet with the black box but wanted to report that everything is working fine. I don't really understand what changing frequency on throttle and brake does but I will do some testing at the track.
high pwm smoother, lower PWM more grabby/punchy. I think higher pwn is slightly more rpm and motor heat also.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:00 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hotwheeler1
Hello everyone, need a little help I just set up a B5M with a reedy blackbox and 17.5 sonic. I calibrated and set up to program #1. After 2min of driving the car it drops down to only 1/2 the speed. I turn off my radio and turn back on then the car will be back to normal for about 2more mins.

Even when the car is running at top speed seems a little slow. Gearing 34/69

Please post if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks
Mine did this. It's on its way back to AE as we speak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.