Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can't get this glitch figured out!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 05:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Can't get this glitch figured out!

I am very good at building and maintaining my racing kits also do rebuilds and setups for a lot of local racers in my area! But I am stumped with this glitch or whatever it is! I have a DESC410 4wd SCT with RX8 gen1, Tekin 550 4.5, Protek servo, and Spectrum sr3000 rec it's a awesome driver and wins races all the time but can't seem to be able to pull WOT from a dead stop with the wheel turned without the wheels going straight for a second also it cuts out at the same time. I have rewired everything, moved the receiver so it wasn't up against the RX8, tried a higher C lipo, and bought a Novak glitch buster! I still have the issue and I am going to finally upgrade in the spring to Futaba module and receivers cause I use a 3pks with a Spectrum mod and receivers but I have 3 other kits that have almost the same receiver (sr3001 PRO) and they work perfect. Also once the trucks rolling it works perfect but at the start I have to be very careful not to turn and pull WOT or bam I get it up the arse from the other trucks! Since I'm upgrading in a couple months I really would like to figure this out without buying another Spectrum receiver unless that's my only option. I just tried it with a brand new Novak Glitch Buster but didn't fix it! Any ideas or suggestions PLEASE! Thanks!
Old 01-24-2014, 02:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Older Spektrum receivers are renowned for this type of brown out glitch. I have had experience of this and changed over to Sanwa/Airtronics and the problem went away after investing in new lipos, BEC caps etc etc. My advise is ditch the Spektrum and upgrade to a Sanwa/Airtonics, KO or Futaba and I think you'll find the problem goes away. It did for me.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dan_vector
Older Spektrum receivers are renowned for this type of brown out glitch. I have had experience of this and changed over to Sanwa/Airtronics and the problem went away after investing in new lipos, BEC caps etc etc. My advise is ditch the Spektrum and upgrade to a Sanwa/Airtonics, KO or Futaba and I think you'll find the problem goes away. It did for me.
Yeah I figured it was the rec causing the issue but like I said upgrading in the coming months. Only other thing I thought may be the issue is the internal BEC in my RX8. I guess I'll have to be careful not to change lanes at the start of the events until I get the Futaba Fasst Module and 3 receivers for my 3PKS. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-24-2014, 06:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Why not install a castle bec ? Seems to work for me with crawlers.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I have over 20 Spektrum receivers many are the oldest type. Never had an issue with any of them.

Is the servo digital? If so, many digitals pull a lot of current when vehicle first moves. This could cause a lag. Also, two local guys had issues like this recently. I gave them spare sensor cables and when they replaced the old ones, the issues went away for both of them.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

My first case was a slash with a novak hv system with a 4.5. Bec fixed it. I still run a dx3.0 dsm1 setup. Sometimes I'll build a crawler with too much servo and it'll happen but usually because the esc's internal bec is too weak.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Switch to a dsm2 receiver and watch your glitches disappear. Regular dsm receivers are notorious for glitches.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:01 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a sR300 receiver in a gas buggy that the steering twitches with throttle applied.
spektrum from everything I can find about them on forums is they're pretty notorious for this kind of thing.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You can get the Castle BEC for less than $20 off ebay. I run a DEX410V3 and use a Max Amp Pro(Losi) with a Savox servo and Spektrum radio. This is the triple whammy brown out waiting to happen. I wired up a Castle BEC, and will find out tomorrow how that works for me. The castle bec is very easy to setup with the Castle link V3.56.17 system. I set the voltage to 6.0, but you can also use the high voltage servos with this setup as it goes all the way to 9.0 volts! I also use the cheap orange rx's, but they are dsm2 quality.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Also chk your connections for black pits or dirt. Are the connections hotter than the wire after running? If yes replace it.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by savannahmick
Yeah I figured it was the rec causing the issue but like I said upgrading in the coming months. Only other thing I thought may be the issue is the internal BEC in my RX8. I guess I'll have to be careful not to change lanes at the start of the events until I get the Futaba Fasst Module and 3 receivers for my 3PKS. Thanks for the info!
Tekin ESC's have plenty of BEC power. I've never needed to use external BEC's. My bet is once you upgrade your radio to non Spektrum the issues will disappear. If your planning to upgrade anyway don't waste your time and money trying to fix it using external BECs etc. I have seen these Spektrum issues time and time again at my club I'm sorry to say. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by turbo2cam
Switch to a dsm2 receiver and watch your glitches disappear. Regular dsm receivers are notorious for glitches.
Older Spektrum receivers can be flaky, however iv'e found the issue usually lies in the dirt that gets collected under the board inside the case. Keep them clean, they'll work just fine.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hoyt1976
Older Spektrum receivers can be flaky, however iv'e found the issue usually lies in the dirt that gets collected under the board inside the case. Keep them clean, they'll work just fine.
There is a difference in operating voltage between dsm and dsm2. Dsm receivers require more voltage to stay on. So pair a power hungry receiver with a power hungry servo and you get glitches. Dsm2 receivers don't need as much voltage to operate so the servo doesn't suck the life out of the receiver.

Switch to dsm2 receivers and your issue (assuming the rest of your system is functioning correctly) will be gone. I fought this for a loooong time and it truly boils Down to the receiver!! I only run sr3100's now and have zero glitches on my 6 cars. I run 5 savox 1258tg's and 1 savox 1256, all spektrum sr3100's, and multiple esc's (2 Tekin's, HW, HK, SP, turnigy)

The sr3100's I use are The cheapo $9 knockoffs.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

FWIW, and it is not likely worth much. I had the sensor cable back off the plug on my 810 and it was just super twitchy to drive while like that, even the steering did not seem smooth when I tried to drive it.

I have also had a bad sensor board on a 550 Ballistic cause a MMP to reboot itself after every 1-2 minutes of driving without doing anything else to give itself away (no cogging or anything), it looked like a bad esc/bec issue at first.

Just things to chew on?
Old 01-25-2014, 10:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by savannahmick
I am very good at building and maintaining my racing kits also do rebuilds and setups for a lot of local racers in my area! But I am stumped with this glitch or whatever it is! I have a DESC410 4wd SCT with RX8 gen1, Tekin 550 4.5, Protek servo, and Spectrum sr3000 rec it's a awesome driver and wins races all the time but can't seem to be able to pull WOT from a dead stop with the wheel turned without the wheels going straight for a second also it cuts out at the same time. I have rewired everything, moved the receiver so it wasn't up against the RX8, tried a higher C lipo, and bought a Novak glitch buster! I still have the issue and I am going to finally upgrade in the spring to Futaba module and receivers cause I use a 3pks with a Spectrum mod and receivers but I have 3 other kits that have almost the same receiver (sr3001 PRO) and they work perfect. Also once the trucks rolling it works perfect but at the start I have to be very careful not to turn and pull WOT or bam I get it up the arse from the other trucks! Since I'm upgrading in a couple months I really would like to figure this out without buying another Spectrum receiver unless that's my only option. I just tried it with a brand new Novak Glitch Buster but didn't fix it! Any ideas or suggestions PLEASE! Thanks!
Try an external BEC for the receiver and use rf chokes on your servo cables. Just be sure to unhook the red wire on your ESC that goes to the receiver. Switch mode PSU's don't get along with other switching supplies. (Messes with the feedback loop).

Or buy a non specktrum receiver/radio

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.