Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo puffed....who's fault?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Just another observation, the owner (a fairly new HS) asked if the balance plug was used and the customer said no....I even asked the guy if he could go get his charger and we could check it out for him as he adamantly said it was on lipo setting. He seemed to brush that idea off.
I'm 99% sure it was on nihm as I cant see ANY charger putting 4.7V into each cell on a proper lipo setting.

On some of my previous low cell lipo's, I could only bring up the voltage using a nihm setting as my charger in lipo mode would only beep continuously saying there is a voltage error. Almost tells me that nihm charging is quite a bit more "lax"than lipo.

With my PL6, there is a couple confirmations I have to press to even start charging (lipo, cell count) and even with a cheaper charger, I'm pretty sure using the balance plug helps ensure proper charging is done. (Chamelion?)
Old 12-05-2013, 02:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda
Even a super cheap charger, that does lipo should not have any problems with overcharging
One time, I had a $90 that overcharged every time and the balance accuracy was less than desirable. Not super cheap by any means, but what a let down it was for that kind of money.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ThePanda
Even a super cheap charger, that does lipo should not have any problems with overcharging. He probably set it for 3s, and didnt balance charge it. Or he set it to charge nimh with a high cell count past 8 cells. His fault.
Should sure, but that doesn't mean it always will be so. There were issues of poor voltage calibration with a some models of the early chargers. There used to be a fairly active thread and other discussion here about calibrating some of the cheap newer brands. Even an older brand MRC had models that were known to have poor voltage accuracy and weren't to be trusted on lipos.

That's why some of us stick with and recommend only proven high quality brands. Saving money is cool, but buying junk that blows up or shortens the life of lipos, not so much.

Haven't heard much about it with current models recently, but since many buy used equipment it can still be an issue, and worth a reminder I think.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Tech Champion

P.S. Although I do agree it's likely an incorrect setting in this case, as the over voltage is pretty extreme.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chamelion
That's not too bad.. my son plugged in a 2s and set it to storage charge at 3s. The cells went up like balloons and I got it outside with only moments to spare before it blew up.
Wow, so it let go when you got it outside? Dang, good thinking, glad everything was safe, sort of. I have 4 pairs of 3S and 2S, I'm a big matched pairs fan. I triple check the settings of the charger before starting, double check the battery. And to further safequard from accidently mixing a 2S battery into a 3S charge, I set all of them away, except for the pair I'm working with.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Yosh70
Just another observation, the owner (a fairly new HS) asked if the balance plug was used and the customer said no....I even asked the guy if he could go get his charger and we could check it out for him as he adamantly said it was on lipo setting. He seemed to brush that idea off.
I'm 99% sure it was on nihm as I cant see ANY charger putting 4.7V into each cell on a proper lipo setting.

On some of my previous low cell lipo's, I could only bring up the voltage using a nihm setting as my charger in lipo mode would only beep continuously saying there is a voltage error. Almost tells me that nihm charging is quite a bit more "lax"than lipo.

With my PL6, there is a couple confirmations I have to press to even start charging (lipo, cell count) and even with a cheaper charger, I'm pretty sure using the balance plug helps ensure proper charging is done. (Chamelion?)
A lipo charger won't charge a lipo if it's on lipo setting, unless the balance plug is in as far as I know. It HAD to be on Nihm.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spookie
A lipo charger won't charge a lipo if it's on lipo setting, unless the balance plug is in as far as I know. It HAD to be on Nihm.
I don't want to take the time to confirm but I'm pretty sure that isn't true. The ProTek/HiTech/Turnigy style chargers will "Fast Charge" a Lipo and it doesn't balance in this cycle. Pretty sure you don't have to have it plugged into a balance board.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grasschopper
I don't want to take the time to confirm but I'm pretty sure that isn't true. The ProTek/HiTech/Turnigy style chargers will "Fast Charge" a Lipo and it doesn't balance in this cycle. Pretty sure you don't have to have it plugged into a balance board.
Exactly. The balance plug does not have to be plugged in to charge a LiPo. Only for balanced cell charging.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Grasschopper
My Passports won't, even on charge vs balance. The port has to be plugged in on them, it kicks out some error code when you don't. I had a Ternegy, but never tried it on it, hated that charger, ended up in the trash lol.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Chargers that utilize external balancers won't require connection to a balancer prior to charging the battery... My GP Triton (which does have an internal balancer) doesn't require it to be connected to start a charge cycle.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Even at that, don't most chargers have a max setting of 3.7 volts per cell?? So if you "charge" a 2S at 2S, then the charger would only charge to a total of 7.4volts right? Or would it continue to charge to the set maximum Mah set in the charger?

Thinking this through, I guess on some chargers, charging a 2S at a "charge" setting of, say 3S, it would grossly overcharge? There has to be a feedback in the charger to stop it if both the charger and battery are on 2S "charge".
Old 12-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Tech Regular

Even at that, don't most chargers have a max setting of 3.7 volts per cell?? So if you "charge" a 2S at 2S, then the charger would only charge to a total of 7.4volts right? Or would it continue to charge to the set maximum Mah set in the charger?
Its actually 4.2v per cell. When you charge a 2S pack it will output 8.4v.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RoketRdr
Its actually 4.2v per cell. When you charge a 2S pack it will output 8.4v.
My passports have a setting of 3.7volts in the menu. But they charge too 4.20volts per cell. I wonder why that is? Really not sure.

I think I just realised what's up. You select the cell voltage so the charger knows what "normal" is for the cells. If I remember right, it only has two selections, 3.6 and 3.7 volts. BUT the charger knows to charge to 4.2v. Haha, I guess I need more coffee lol. Cold getting to me lol.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Tech Regular

My passports have a setting of 3.7volts in the menu. But they charge too 4.20volts per cell. I wonder why that is? Really not sure.

I think I just realised what's up. You select the cell voltage so the charger knows what "normal" is for the cells. If I remember right, it only has two selections, 3.6 and 3.7 volts. BUT the charger knows to charge to 4.2v. Haha, I guess I need more coffee lol. Cold getting to me lol.
You got it brotha.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Thinking this through, I guess on some chargers, charging a 2S at a "charge" setting of, say 3S, it would grossly overcharge? There has to be a feedback in the charger to stop it if both the charger and battery are on 2S "charge".
Lipo chargers are programmed to measure a battery's voltage, and determine if the user selected the appropriate cell count when setting the charge parameters. I have yet to find a Lipo charger (using a Lipo charging algorithm) that would allow you to charge a 2 cell battery using a 3 cell charge profile. Even a fully charged 2 cell battery doesn't have enough voltage to start a 3 cell charge cycle, unless it was overcharged in the first place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.