Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A couple brushless motor/esc questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Default A couple brushless motor/esc questions

Sorry if this is in the wrong category, I am new to this forum.
Anyway I currently have a Slash 4x4 VXL which I just bought to get back into the hobby after a ~5 year leave, and an older RC10B4 with the original Mamba Sidewinder and 5700kV motor.
I am hoping to get a MMP SCT 2400kV for the Slash soon and then I will have a VXL system just lying around. I've been reading that a lot of people have just been buying the MMP ESC and running the VXL 3500kV stock motor in the Slash. Personally I can understand this because I don't like the VXL ESC very much, and I want to run 4S heheh. Anyway my current system in the B4 I use a 3S 25C and it has plenty of power and acceleration but could benefit from the higher top speed of the VXL. The thing is is that the Mamba runs unbelievably smoother and quieter than the VXL, not to mention being programmable (I love punch control for 2WDs). Unless I am mistaken and the smoothness is a result of the motor not ESC, in which case feel free to correct me in comments. So I really like the Mamba ESCs but I am worried that gearing up the 5700kV motor any more will make it overheat. So my question is; can I hook up the VXL 3500 motor to the 4+ year old Sidewinder ESC? And what will the differences be (torque/speed/temp)?
Old 11-20-2013, 04:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Smoothest power will come from sensored setups, which the VXL and mamba systems are not (except the max pro ESC, which can, but none of the mamba motors are).

I assume your 5700 is the older CM36 type which if I recall is a 2 pole motor. The VXL is also a 2 pole but is at 3500KV. You should get more top end out of the 5700 mamba than you do the VXL.

As for the slash and the 2400KV mamba motor, I am not a huge fan myself of that motor, had one, ran it a couple of times and moved on to other things. Other people do however love it. It seems to be best on a 3S kind of setup. If you are looking for a lot of punch and smooth without spending a total fortune you might look into the hobbywing stuff or the offerings from Tenshock, especially the sensored models they have. In the long run it will be a much better deal to race or bash with.

At the very least, before you jump on a new ESC/Motor for your slash do some more looking around.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The vxl motor should be fine paired up with the sidewinder, and would also be a solution to the vxl esc issue where it engages lvc early with 3s packs. I would advise not to run the 5700kv mamba in the 4x4 slash, as I've personally seen a 4600kv mamba burn up from too much load. Higher kv motors just aren't suited for a 4x4 short course, even the 3500 vxl gets a little too warm for my liking on 3s and conservative driving/gearing. A 4600kv on 2s may be fine for both bashing and racing but there are better options, and the 3500kv would cause less issues. My slash 4x4 is strictly a basher now and it is amazing with the 1/8 MMM 2650kv. I think it is still geared 50t/24t, I can run 2s-4s with the system staying smooth and no heat issues. 2s gives speeds about the same as all stock on 2s, maybe a bit slower but with more torque, while 3s is great fun. 4s is just plain nuts, had it radar'ed at 74mph but had to make that run without a body due to aerodynamic issues past ~55mph.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah my plan was to get the Mamba Max Pro SCT w/ 2400kV for the Slash as I read you really need low kV on 4wd short course trucks and I have really only heard good things about that setup. I currently have the Slash clocked at just over 50mph with VXL on 3S and 19/54 gearing. It is pretty good but it could use a little more torque and the early LVC is really bugging me, not to mention no programmability. My plan is to get the MMP SCT and a 50C 4S LiPo running 22/54 gearing, which from what I've read should hit mid/low 60s which is plenty.
Then once that is all set up I will start testing the B4 w/ Sidewinder ESC with the VXL motor vs the Castle 5700kV since you guys say it should work ok. The only thing I am really worried about is the Sidewinder ESC temps, I don't have a temp sensor or anything but that thing gets pretty damn hot to the touch (much hotter than my VXLs) running 3S lipo and a bigger pinion.