Wiki Posts
Search

Newb with ESC or gearing problems needs help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Newb with ESC or gearing problems needs help please

So I bought my first shortcourse truck a losi 22sct. I put an Orion R10 pro in it 160amp version with an Orion 6.5 motor. Now I thought this thing was gonna be fast as hell wrong, I have the stock spur in it which is 84 tooth and a 16 tooth Pinion it was like a stock truck it was also cutting out on me for like a second and then would go again. It wasn't too hot or cutting out cuz my battery was too low. Then went to a nineteen tooth Pinion, better but still too slow to make the big jump everyone else was making. Talked to a guy who said go to a 22 tooth and temp it, so after like 8 min its like 138 degrees much faster and can make the big jump but with a 6.5 in it I feel like I should have to be trimming the throttle down? On a medium size technical indoor track. It's no longer cutting out since I went to the 22 tooth pinion, do u guys think it could have been cutting out cuz it was under geared? and do u think I could still bump the Pinion up to like a 23 24 or 25 tooth pinion? As long as I don't go over 150 160 degrees? I think with this motor this thing should be uncontrollable and have to turn the dual rate down to make it manageable like most guys do when running these type of motors in stuff. Or is something wrong with my ESC? And yes I replaced the sensor wire. I'm getting no blinking lights or signs that somethings wrong with the ESC. Any suggestions would really be appreciated thanks guys.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wreckya
So I bought my first shortcourse truck a losi 22sct. I put an Orion R10 pro in it 160amp version with an Orion 6.5 motor. Now I thought this thing was gonna be fast as hell wrong, I have the stock spur in it which is 84 tooth and a 16 tooth Pinion it was like a stock truck it was also cutting out on me for like a second and then would go again. It wasn't too hot or cutting out cuz my battery was too low. Then went to a nineteen tooth Pinion, better but still too slow to make the big jump everyone else was making. Talked to a guy who said go to a 22 tooth and temp it, so after like 8 min its like 138 degrees much faster and can make the big jump but with a 6.5 in it I feel like I should have to be trimming the throttle down? On a medium size technical indoor track. It's no longer cutting out since I went to the 22 tooth pinion, do u guys think it could have been cutting out cuz it was under geared? and do u think I could still bump the Pinion up to like a 23 24 or 25 tooth pinion? As long as I don't go over 150 160 degrees? I think with this motor this thing should be uncontrollable and have to turn the dual rate down to make it manageable like most guys do when running these type of motors in stuff. Or is something wrong with my ESC? And yes I replaced the sensor wire. I'm getting no blinking lights or signs that somethings wrong with the ESC. Any suggestions would really be appreciated thanks guys.
Do you have the Orion program box and if so, what are your actual settings on it?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
Do you have the Orion program box and if so, what are your actual settings on it?
I agree with mark. get the programmer and check settings. I don't know about mod motors, but orion stock motors like to be hot. I've been running my 17.5 and 10.5 orions with 165-175 F range for about two years now with no loss of power.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The program box settings are all stock.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wreckya
The program box settings are all stock.
hmmm.. I would think recalibrating you tx with all settings maxed out and then recalibrate the esc. your epa on the tx might be low. something to consider. if that doesn't work, try a different motor with the same turn. if that doesn't fix it, then you might have an esc problem. I've bought one before with a malfunction and horizon hobbies took care of it. good luck
Old 10-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you're at the default settings, that runs a bit of Turbo but on a delay of nearly half a second. Makes the truck feel laggish before it just takes off.

I would first recalibrate the ESC to the radio as mentioned above making sure all of your radio settings are at 100% before starting.

I would then copy these settings for a SC baseline: http://www.teamorion.com/images/news...etup_Jared.pdf - paying special attention to 10-15 or just set 10&13 to zero for a totally "natural" feel.

I would next make sure your diff and slipper are tight enough. Hesitation when geared correctly that goes away when you're overgeared (and as a result, have reduced the torque) is often a hidden mechanical issue rather than an electronic one.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I would double check everything like said above. IF that wakes things up make sure you look at your gearing again. 84/22 seems really tall for a SCT with a 6.5
Old 10-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Mark said 100% for your radio settings, which I know what he's saying but Spektrum for example actually uses 150% for their max EPA points, and if you calibrate some esc's with the radio at 100% and not 150% they will not actually reach full power, only about 2/3 actually.

In the end, just make sure your EPA's are maxed out, regardless of the % that might be.