Battery not balancing??? Hyperion voltage too high message >

Battery not balancing??? Hyperion voltage too high message

Battery not balancing??? Hyperion voltage too high message

Old 10-08-2013, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default Battery not balancing??? Hyperion voltage too high message

Hi all,

Just received a bunch of new formulax batteries direct from team trinity (REV2022-5). Out of all of the batteries, I received a shorty lipo that is slightly poofed. Checked the pack out of the box and it was a 7.7v, but cells slightly out of balance. This pack uses 5mm bullet connectors.

I have a Hyperion E0606i charger, was worried since it was a little poofed, so I hooked it up to the charger for a balance charge.

When the pack reach 8.4volts (about full charge), the charger sounds alarm - "Balance output voltage too high." Disconnect the pack, reconnect it and start the charge again and after a few seconds the alarm goes off again. Never had this happen on my Hyperion chargers with any battery.

After the full charge and alarm, the cells read-
Cell1 - 4.16v
Cell2 - 4.20v

Do I have a bad battery?

Last edited by JourneyMan; 10-08-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JourneyMan
Hi all,

Just received a bunch of new formulax batteries direct from team trinity (REV2022-5). Out of all of the batteries, I received a shorty lipo that is slightly poofed. Checked the pack out of the box and it was a 7.7v, but cells slightly out of balance. This pack uses 5mm bullet connectors.

I have a Hyperion E0606i charger, was worried since it was a little poofed, so I hooked it up to the charger for a balance charge.

When the pack reach 8.4volts (about full charge), the charger sounds alarm - "Balance output voltage too high." Disconnect the pack, reconnect it and start the charge again and after a few seconds the alarm goes off again. Never had this happen on my Hyperion chargers with any battery.

After the full charge and alarm, the cells read-
Cell1 - 4.16v
Cell2 - 4.20v

Do I have a bad battery?
you bought a new pack that was puffed... RMA it. My packs are .003 v apart after charge, so .04 is kinda crappy.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
you bought a new pack that was puffed... RMA it. My packs are .003 v apart after charge, so .04 is kinda crappy.
+1 if it is new expect it to be right. RMA
Old 10-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Tech Adept

They have an article on their website regarding puffed packs. To me that sounds like a charger issue though. I don't see why a charger wouldn't be able to further balance the pack. Try cycling it a few times.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Yea the article says they thoroughly check all lipos before sending them to make sure they're not puffed etc, I decided to try a "high end lipo" for the first time to see if there's a big difference, I run 2 trinity revtech 6900 100c 2s lipos and these are somewhere in the 150$ range, both will not finish charge anymore, they both used to balance properly etc, not anymore though and they get pretty hot while running and swell up, I had a SPC 6500 50c lipo that ran just as good as the trinity at under 50$
Old 10-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Many, many threads about the revtechs and puffing. RMA right away. Or at least attempt to.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

I will take the advice and RMA this asap, since this battery has never been run.

It is significantly rocking on the table, out of five batteries this is the only one.

No sense in cycling it through and have Ernie tell me it was used. One note - the Trinity website says they all get taken out of the packaging at Trincorp and puff tested. There should be a green sticker - do not have one, but I could clearly tell it had been opened.

The first thing I do when I pull new batteries out of the box is used a lipo voltage checker to check the voltage of each cell and get a baseline.

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

I will take the advice and RMA this asap, since this battery has never been run.

It is significantly rocking on the table, out of five batteries this is the only one.

No sense in cycling it through and have Ernie tell me it was used. One note - the Trinity website says they all get taken out of the packaging at Trincorp and puff tested. There should be a green sticker - do not have one, but I could clearly tell it had been opened.

The first thing I do when I pull new batteries out of the box is used a lipo voltage checker to check the voltage of each cell and get a baseline.

Thanks for all the advice!
I'm sure Trinity will take care of you! Just e-mail them!
Old 10-24-2013, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Wanted to give you all an update for future ref.

So two things happened here -

1) Trinity determined my battery to be extremely poofed and approved an RMA.

2) The Hyperion charger is what is causing the batteries not to balance charge and produce the high voltage warning.

I have two E0OS606i chargers - one with a blue backlit screen and one with the green backlit screen. The one with the green screen is a newer model ordered from maxamps.

The older version of the two chargers is the one giving me problems. I have heard that you can upgrade the firmware, but do not know how to do this. I do not have any PC adapters to connect it to a computer. From experience - would you guys think I need to replace the charger or is this a known problem where I should look to upgrade the firmware?
Old 10-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Tech Champion

Do I understand correctly, the only battery that won't charge is one that is "extremely poofed"? If so consider yourself lucky that you have a charger that won't charge a battery that could cause problems.

I don't know if a 0606 can be user updated. Info can be found here 5.91 Firmware for EOS line chargers
Old 10-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Tech Prophet

Wanted to give you all an update for future ref.

So two things happened here -

1) Trinity determined my battery to be extremely poofed and approved an RMA.

2) The Hyperion charger is what is causing the batteries not to balance charge and produce the high voltage warning.

I have two E0OS606i chargers - one with a blue backlit screen and one with the green backlit screen. The one with the green screen is a newer model ordered from maxamps.

The older version of the two chargers is the one giving me problems. I have heard that you can upgrade the firmware, but do not know how to do this. I do not have any PC adapters to connect it to a computer. From experience - would you guys think I need to replace the charger or is this a known problem where I should look to upgrade the firmware?
I am pretty sure there is a firmware upgrade to address that issue. My hyperion plugs right into my pc via usb, but its the 0720inet. You might need an adapter
Old 10-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Tech Prophet

when you power the chargers up, you should see the version on boot up.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

when you power the chargers up, you should see the version on boot up.
It doesn't tell me the version on startup, just the charger model - Hyperion ES606i-AD. Also no menus or anything that might tell me the version.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Tech Prophet

It doesn't tell me the version on startup, just the charger model - Hyperion ES606i-AD. Also no menus or anything that might tell me the version.
I looked and looked and looked. Conclusion. I dont think you can upgrade it. I recall that at one time some of the Hyperion chargers displayed that error and it was a "Bug". they later released a newer model that fixed the bug and also had 60% storage as an option. I think the color of the screen also changed.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

I looked and looked and looked. Conclusion. I dont think you can upgrade it. I recall that at one time some of the Hyperion chargers displayed that error and it was a "Bug". they later released a newer model that fixed the bug and also had 60% storage as an option. I think the color of the screen also changed.
That would sound right. I purchased a newer model from Maxamps and yes the screen did change. I may look for a new backup charger. Thanks for your effort in looking in to this!