Wiki Posts
Search

M4 or 4PLS or M12 or 4PKRS

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 07:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Default M4 or 4PLS or M12 or 4PKRS

Sorry to drag up probably whats already been discussed,

Im looking for a new radio, my current set is the Code RC but its been problematic with jitter and not that great, losing connection because the Savox servo draws too much, I had to fit a cap in the end.

Anyway, im in the UK and RC Mushroom have offers on the said Units, taking into mind customs etc its still a lot cheaper than the UK, if I want to gamble with Warranty.

I currently race on a sunday with a couple of cars Shumacher K1 and KR and associated 44.1 and B4, also a Yokomo which im selling.

I looked at the lower end of the range the M4 and 4PLS and im drawn to the futaba, you also get 2 receivers in the deal....

But how much different is the 4PKSR or the M12 are they Noticeable or just lots of fancy menus 60% will never use.

Also with response times what benefit do you get over the competition is it purely punching and quick throttle nipping in and out no lag, ??

Ive so far plumped towards a M12 but im think about the Futaba now, arrgh

Views please
Old 09-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Tech Rookie

I just went through the same situation. I ended up with the futaba 4pksr. I liked the way it felt when driving the car. My hobby shop here carries them so if I need another reciever I just go in and buy one. I don't have to wait on shipping and all of that. There are way more features than I will ever use.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Hiya, thanks I really wanted the futaba, but after learning my local doesn't stock the servos, I had to think again.

I also saw that most of the model shops here in the uk seem to have an abundance of sanwa but not futaba.

I then did the dreaded fault search, and only found 3

1 is where a guy has an m12 and can only get 20 m range out of it.
Other is where people sometimes have bind problems.

Futaba main issue was overheating receivers for the 4 pk

The relevant receiver in the uk for futaba is 100 uk sterling, the sanwa is 90 but I can get cheaper ones if I need to.

I eventually ordered the M12 based on availability, see how it goes, bot very good radios and both been around for years and years.... See what happens when it comes.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hey everyone...i too am thinking about upgrading my radio...right now i have a futaba 3pm-x...i have about 5 receivers...and the one thing that irritates me most about this thing is that i have to label all cars and remember which model is which...i can't just turn it on and go...i have to select the right memory and go all around the world to reach back to the model select every time i turn on the darn thing...and if i have more than one car on...they both run simultaneously...totally annoying...

are there any radios/receivers out there that will automatically remember the model, its settings, etc. without me having to label the receiver and selecting the correct one on the radio?...

sorry...i'm still a newbie and know very little about these different radios...i'm doing my research but a little education from you folks would be great...a few suggestions from u guys and why would be great...thanks...
Old 10-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IvVaum
Hey everyone...i too am thinking about upgrading my radio...right now i have a futaba 3pm-x...i have about 5 receivers...and the one thing that irritates me most about this thing is that i have to label all cars and remember which model is which...i can't just turn it on and go...i have to select the right memory and go all around the world to reach back to the model select every time i turn on the darn thing...and if i have more than one car on...they both run simultaneously...totally annoying...

are there any radios/receivers out there that will automatically remember the model, its settings, etc. without me having to label the receiver and selecting the correct one on the radio?...

sorry...i'm still a newbie and know very little about these different radios...i'm doing my research but a little education from you folks would be great...a few suggestions from u guys and why would be great...thanks...

On my 4pl you create profiles, it doesn't matter which receiver is used, then you can select a profile you created to run a car. For example. On one of my sedans the servo is reversed. The other it is not. So on one profile I select servo reversing, on the other I don't. Then when I use one or the other cars I can select between the two profiles to run the cars on. I have other things set too like end points, expo, throttle curve ect.

I could run either car on the same profile though.

You don't name receivers. You create models. Then you have to select which model to run. I don't think any radio remembers what receiver it is set up with and automatically selects a model for you.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Tech Champion

Also. This automatically choosing a profile would be impractical. I often create several profiles for one car, with slightly different settings for different driving conditions. I would want to be able to select which one I use.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have the 4PLS and 4PKSR. I really like the 4PLS but after I got a taste of the 4PKSR, it's hard to go back - got used to the drop down wheel and overall weight and feel of the radio. Also, I prefer the "landscape" display more than the "portait" orientation. The foam on the 4PKSR wheel is soft on the outside and a little firmer on the inside which I like. The 4PKSR also comes with rechargeable battery and charger which is nice.

The FASST receivers are pricey though. The FHSS are like 1/3 the price so +1 for 4PLS.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by canbarelyhover
I have the 4PLS and 4PKSR. I really like the 4PLS but after I got a taste of the 4PKSR, it's hard to go back - got used to the drop down wheel and overall weight and feel of the radio. Also, I prefer the "landscape" display more than the "portait" orientation. The foam on the 4PKSR wheel is soft on the outside and a little firmer on the inside which I like. The 4PKSR also comes with rechargeable battery and charger which is nice.

The FASST receivers are pricey though. The FHSS are like 1/3 the price so +1 for 4PLS.
Thats why im sticking with my 4pl. It just costs so much to buy extra fasst receivers.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:55 AM
Tech Adept

i agree with u guys on the fasst receivers...it annoys me that it's so much more expensive than all the other receivers...i'm probably gonna acquire more cars...and really don't want to invest any more into these fasst receivers...it doesn't behove me to spend that much for an item in which it's going to give me little to no gain in performance...

the price to gain performance is impractical with these fasst receivers...

and as for the 3pm-x model memory annoyance...i understand about the model naming and receiver profile thing...i just find it annoying that i have to label which model coincide with which car...and then every time i turn on the xmitter...i have to scroll all the way through the menus to get back to the model select parameter...it's not the most user friendly of menus...and i would not recommend this radio to any one...especially novice people like me...the learning curve was steep...

now i don't know anything about these radios/receiver combo...but what i would like to see is...each receiver is unique...and the xmitter would bind and recognize that receiver and call up all it's stored parameters and then u can select which profile for that receiver that u want to call up...now that would be an innovative radio/receiver combo in which i would pay good money for....

it annoys me that if i have 5 receivers and they're all turned on...the xmitter would simultaneously control all of them on a single profile...to me...that is just stupid engineering...in this day and age...each receiver has the capability to xmit a unique ID in which the xmitter can distinguish and recall from it's binding memory...how hard is that to design?...am i the only one who is annoyed by this?...does it not bother u guys?...don't these manufacturers think up of all these different scenarios?...don't they have more than one car?...

again...i don't know...i'm still a novice and know very little...but coming from an engineering background...i don't think it's that difficult to define these parameters and design around it...
Old 10-06-2013, 08:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Doesn't really bother me. Then again, I only have 1 car at the moment and don't see myself having anymore than 2 - 3 maybe?

On the 4PLS, there is an ID# that pops up on the screen once once an rx is bound. this is for the T-FHSS R304SB. Not sure about the FHSS/S-FHSS though.

Last edited by canbarelyhover; 10-06-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ompatible.html

These receivers are compatible with my 4PK and are only $30. I have about 5 of them and all have no issues.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dan
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ompatible.html

These receivers are compatible with my 4PK and are only $30. I have about 5 of them and all have no issues.

i was gonna ask...what do u guys think about those generic fasst compatible receivers...how well do they work...how reliable are they...and are they worth it?...thanks for your input.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by IvVaum
i was gonna ask...what do u guys think about those generic fasst compatible receivers...how well do they work...how reliable are they...and are they worth it?...thanks for your input.
Well if I had the money, genuine futaba would be the way to go. Otherwise I don't see any problem with using them.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

mt4 is great and has all needed functions
Old 10-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jeremy0203
mt4 is great and has all needed functions
i was looking into those mt4 and the m11x...how well do those work?...and are they similar in function to the futuba?...i just want to say....my futaba is not user friendly at all...i hate....absolutely HATE having to scroll through ALLL the menus just to get to a function...and THEN...i have to keep the the menu close by at all times just cos i could never remember all the functions and their meaning...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.