Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Modify the Integy Reactor 30 Discharger for 2s LiPo

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 09:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by whitrzac
But it should give you a close idea on how bad your batteries really are...

I haven't done any 'logging' yet, but at 60 amps deans plugs get hot and start to melt
Use fans on everything, including connector.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by tpczx6
ok I have put in a 1.21k resistor and put on new wire leads as I found that the leads that they come with get a bit warm and that's where I was getting the differences in volts. I have it set to cut off at 6.3 volts and when it done the pack sets at 6.56 and the wires are a lot cooler.

With the 1.21 resistor the pot can now work between 5.7 volts and 7.2 volts.
going to make the 2nd one with the 1.5 for storage volts range

looks what coming out soon
I haven't seen anything else on your linked pic. Currently looking for a lipo discharger to use with my iCharger 308Duo. Who makes the 'Dumper'? Thanks
Old 02-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Bulldogsz24
I haven't seen anything else on your linked pic. Currently looking for a lipo discharger to use with my iCharger 308Duo. Who makes the 'Dumper'? Thanks
Racer's Measurement Systems has them.

The Dumper
Old 02-05-2014, 02:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
Thanks for posting the link I only seen the picture that was on a fase book page someplace
Old 02-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

wow 199.99 for the dumper I will stay with my Integy reacotor and use my powerlab to monotior the packs
Old 02-05-2014, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tpczx6
wow 199.99 for the dumper I will stay with my Integy reacotor and use my powerlab to monotior the packs
I agree! I'm waiting for someone to do a review of it though.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:49 AM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

One thing I wanted to mention is that if you use the reactor on most current LiPo packs, I highly recommend removing the alligator clips and replacing them with bullet connections... I ended up melting the corners of some of my packs with the 'gator clips because of the massive heating they experience under that 30A draw. But going to some good bullets, the connections are nice and cool.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE=howardcano;12579131]If you need a cheap, quick way to discharge your 2s LiPo batteries for storage, you should check out the Integy INDI Reactor 30. It was originally designed for NiCad and NiMH batteries, but a simple modification makes it perfect for 2s LiPo batteries. I paid $14 for mine (shipped) on the evil auction site!

Here's how to make the modification:

Remove all the screws on the outside, then separate the the case halves. There are four different sizes of screws, so pay attention to where they go.

Remove the 1K, 1% resistor from the PC board as shown in the photo (it was where the empty holes are). Replace it with a 1.5K 1% resistor. (I used a 1.58K, because I had it available.) Alternatively, you can put a 499 ohm 1% resistor in series with the 1K that's already there. It might not look as neat, but no one will see it except you!

I removed the potentiometer and put it on back side of PC board (soldering it into the same holes) to make the voltage cutoff adjustment easier. You could also leave the pot where it is and drill a small hole in the front panel to make the adjustment easier (the hole should be in located in the bottom of the "0", just above the "E" in "Discharger", on the front panel silkscreen).

It's a good idea to replace the alligator clips with a connector to match your batteries (I used Deans), so you won't mistakenly connect the discharger backwards.

After you are done, adjust the cutoff using a pack already discharged to your desired storage voltage. Connect the pack and press the "START" button. If the lights don't come on, adjust the 1K pot until they do. Release the "START" button, then SLOWLY adjust the potentiometer until the relay clicks off.

Double-check the fan connections. The fan on my unit didn't work because the wires had been installed incorrectly!

I flipped the fan over so it would pull the hot air from the discharge resistor out of the case, lowering the case temperature a little, and reducing the drift of the cutoff voltage. This is at the expense of having the fan run in the hot air. Flip the fan by removing the four mounting screws and flipping the fan over. DON'T TRY TO REVERSE THE FAN DIRECTION BY SWAPPING THE RED AND BLACK LEADS!

Make sure all of the internal wires don't touch the fan blades or hub, or the power resistor, when you reassemble the unit.

Thanks to Joe Kelly for telling me about this use for the Reactor 30!

Have you ever tried modifying the reactor 10? (10amp) I have two of them and I put the 1.5K 1% resistor in one of them and it won't cut off until 7.40 volts or 3.70 per cell. I would like it to cut off about 7.60 volts. I have the pot adjusted as far as it will go and it doesn't cut off until 7.40 volts. Do you think I will need a larger then a 1.5K resistor to get this to cut off sooner? Thanks. Any help would be appreciated
Old 03-08-2014, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speeddaddy
Have you ever tried modifying the reactor 10? (10amp) I have two of them and I put the 1.5K 1% resistor in one of them and it won't cut off until 7.40 volts or 3.70 per cell. I would like it to cut off about 7.60 volts. I have the pot adjusted as far as it will go and it doesn't cut off until 7.40 volts. Do you think I will need a larger then a 1.5K resistor to get this to cut off sooner? Thanks. Any help would be appreciated
I have no experience with the 10A version. Hopefully another RCTech user can provide some information.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by howardcano
I have no experience with the 10A version. Hopefully another RCTech user can provide some information.

Thanks Howard, I'am going to try a 1.8k resistor and see what happens. Will report back with results. Thanks
Old 03-16-2014, 08:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by speeddaddy
Thanks Howard, I'am going to try a 1.8k resistor and see what happens. Will report back with results. Thanks

**** UPDATE****
After some experimenting with the 10 amp version I found that the resistor ( 1.8K ohm 1/2 watt 5% Carbon Film Resistor) works real good with the pot sitting at about 12 noon. Love how these work so I made 3 dischargers since there only 7.50 bucks on Integy web site and gave them to friends I race with
Old 03-31-2014, 08:17 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I see the 1.5k 1% resistor is used for the reactor 30 for 2s. What is the resistor for the reactor 20? I am unsure if I want to use 30amps
Old 03-31-2014, 10:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Same. Same circuit it appears. I've modded both a 20a and a 30a for 2s.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Can I use a 1.5k 5% resistor instead of the 1% resistor that is recommended.
( RadioShack pn 271-1120 )
Old 04-22-2014, 11:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smknpipgras
Can I use a 1.5k 5% resistor instead of the 1% resistor that is recommended.
( RadioShack pn 271-1120 )
You will probably be okay with 5%. The most likely effect will be some drift of the cutoff voltage with temperature.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.