R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 09-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Tekin Gen 2 going up in smoke

I have as of today seen two new Tekin Gen 2 go up in smoke the first was on the track after being ran for a few minutes the truck was sitting for about 5 minutes then came the smoke. The second was on a friends work bench he just finished binding it to his radio all of a sudden the esc smoked. He called Tekin they said the Gen 2 has some issues. Anyone else having this problem.
cirtcele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Burlap

Not yet, thankfully. I do 8 minute races with my RS Gen 2, however I do have the motor fan close to it. What type of motor/s were being run in the trucks?
Burlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
Tech Master

I'm running the rx8 gen2 and so far so good, ran the RS with no problems, going to run the gen2 spec when available as well, all I know is that anything electrical can go up in smoke, it's just who's going to be the unlucky ones to get the duds or make a mistake themselves and cause it to die
Old 09-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirtcele View Post
I have as of today seen two new Tekin Gen 2 go up in smoke the first was on the track after being ran for a few minutes the truck was sitting for about 5 minutes then came the smoke. The second was on a friends work bench he just finished binding it to his radio all of a sudden the esc smoked. He called Tekin they said the Gen 2 has some issues. Anyone else having this problem.
Esc's just don't go bad sitting there on the bench. Chances are something wasn't hooked up properly here.

Please have them contact support@teamtekin.com.

I'd also like to know who you spoke to at Tekin: Rpike@teamtekin.com

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,KoPropUSA,JConcepts,Avid RC,MIP,SikLidz,ImagineItGraphx, FactoryRC, B-fast
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
Esc's just don't go bad sitting there on the bench. Chances are something wasn't hooked up properly here.

Please have them contact support@teamtekin.com.

I'd also like to know who you spoke to at Tekin: Rpike@teamtekin.com
I love my rx8 gen 2. Got another one coming in tomorrow.

Also that's some sweet customer service right here.
brandon32689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Quote:
He called Tekin they said the Gen 2 has some issues.
HIGHLY doubt anyone at Tekin would say that. The Gen2 has been incredible in all 3 of my cars. No fanboy for any brand.....just like running the best.
timannnn6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
I've been running 2 of these for the last couple of months one in 1/12 with a TQ cells booster and the other in a boosted 13.5 touring car, they have been absolutely faultless.

POWERED BY SPEEDZONE USA
Skitee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)
Default Gen 2

I saw one of the 8th scale versions go up in flames at the track and it was the first race on it. It landed after a small jump and quit. I went to move it and the smoke started coming out then flames. I thought the lipo had went but pulled the body and it was the ESC melted . I was turn mashalling and when the owner came to get it he said it was new.
latemodel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

I don't know if he got the name of the person he talked to but i will try to find out. What could you wire incorrectly that would allow the truck to run fine for several laps then start smoking a few minutes later. It was just sitting on the track not being driven. Neither one of the trucks were mine and i did not inspect the wiring after the smoke. I was just making sure that there is not a trend going on with these gen 2 s before i buy one. I guess i'm assuming everyone knows its the RX8 model.
cirtcele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (57%+)

I have run them and had no issues whatsoever

on a side note i had a old hobao shortcourse with a 4.5 ballistic and a mamba pro esc all brand new. when it was all wired up i connected the lipo and ran a few laps and poof, smoke and flames from the esc. we sent the esc back to castle and when they sent a replacement, once again soldered it up and poof, went up again

turned out to be a faulty motor causing this

you never know, and Tekin is a top notch company with awesome customer support. if there is a problem with their product they take care of you. i had a bec quit in a gen 1 RX8 and they took care of it, and turnaround was super fast

its stuff like that that makes custoemrs loyal, and to see them on the forums asking about issues speaks volumes
Old 10-25-2013, 05:21 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
I don't know if he got the name of the person he talked to but i will try to find out. What could you wire incorrectly that would allow the truck to run fine for several laps then start smoking a few minutes later. It was just sitting on the track not being driven. Neither one of the trucks were mine and i did not inspect the wiring after the smoke. I was just making sure that there is not a trend going on with these gen 2 s before i buy one. I guess i'm assuming everyone knows its the RX8 model.
I can't speak for Tekin, but i can speak to the fact that i swear at least 1/2 or more people i see with them have NO business with a soldering iron!

Most of the failures i have seen on any of the RX8's have been very poor solder jobs that caused excessive heat and then it melts.. things touch that shouldn't, and poof... magic smoke.

I am skeptical about any electronics failure online unless they post a pic showing the solder jobs....

so many "my friends (insert any ESC here) went up in smoke! they MUST be defective!" posts these days.

IMO show pics, or it didn't happen.
DsWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:31 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DsWright View Post
I can't speak for Tekin, but i can speak to the fact that i swear at least 1/2 or more people i see with them have NO business with a soldering iron!

Most of the failures i have seen on any of the RX8's have been very poor solder jobs that caused excessive heat and then it melts.. things touch that shouldn't, and poof... magic smoke.

I am skeptical about any electronics failure online unless they post a pic showing the solder jobs....

so many "my friends (insert any ESC here) went up in smoke! they MUST be defective!" posts these days.

IMO show pics, or it didn't happen.

You hit the nail on the head!!
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Well I had a brand new one go up in smoke on me at the VA state race in practice. I also witnessed a friend of mines go bad as well. His was brand new as well as mine. Tekin sent me a brand new one in about a week. They do have great service. You call them and get an answered phone with someone who speaks English.
losi E 3.0 Roller for sale fresh rebuild $325 Firm
Awesome RC Hobbies
Racer8ight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Tekin has excellent customer service, and I'll bet that they warranty more than they should due to shoddy soldering. I know most of the people I race with can't solder for crap.
AERob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Every thing I've ever burnt up was a result of solder failing or a piece of wire short circuiting between terminals or plugging things in wrong. All user induced (me!!!) and due to not catching it on a typical maintence check.
Tekins for me have never failed.
Antimullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links