Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dirtchamp Design t:meR

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Tech Regular

Default Dirtchamp Design t:meR

Against my better judgement, I picked up one of these from AMain over the weekend. Received it today to find the USB thumb drive containing the software dead.

Their website is less than robust and from the looks of it, I'll be lucky to receive a reply to my inquiry.

But, before spite-retuning this thing to AMain, I'd still like to try it out.

Does anybody have one that would be willing to .zip up the software for me and pop it on a public dropbox or somewhere I can scoop it from?
Old 08-15-2013, 06:28 AM
Tech Regular

Squeaky wheel gets oil, film at 11!

DCD was actually very responsive and sent me a link over night to download the files. I'll return the good will in the form of a short review after I get a chance to play with it.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default DCD at Club races

I have also bought the system and the hardware works great. The transponders get recognised even though the approach angle is not optimal, the setting up was easy and I'm glad I bought a system that can easily be transported and setup again.

According to me the software only records the laps and times required to complete the laps.(duh, yes that's what lap timer software do...) but, how can the system be used to determine the driver rankings if you have multiple qualifying rounds of lets say: "A, B, C and D" drivers but they are all racing against one another in the qualifiers to determine the A-mains, B-mains, C-mains etc... Does the software/system do this?

Let's say you have 5 qualifying rounds for the day, but you only use the 3 best to determine the A-mains, B-mains and C-mains. Does the software do this also?

If not, how do you keep track of all the drivers, their qualifying results and compare them in order to determine the top drivers for the mains?
Old 10-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Updated software

Is there any updated software we can use that does this?
Old 10-15-2013, 02:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Angry Errors

We have tried to install the system on a laptop with windows 8 and it doesn't work. The Bluetooth device does pair with the laptop but Windows doesn't allow connections to the TimeR device since it is not compatible with the Windows 8 OS.

I've sent a few emails to DCD but haven't had any replies from them regarding the issues our club have with the system. The first email was sent on the 3rd of October and today is the 15th.......

There are no newer updates available on their website and just wish they could send me a response since I used our RC Club funds to buy a system that doesn't work!!!!

Last edited by ZA_Fourie; 10-15-2013 at 04:25 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Did you buy a system that doesn't work or are you trying to use it with an incompatible operating system? From what I read it sounded like it worked previously but then you tried to install it on a Win 8 PC and it won't work with that...that's not an issue with the timing system that's an issue reading specifications and buying a PC that runs an OS that is incompatible. Win 8 sucks from all accounts I've heard...not DCDs issue.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

I installed the software on my very old laptop with Windows XP and it works. When we wanted to install it on the Club Laptop with Windows 8 it doesn't work. It also works on a friends laptop with Windows 7 installed.

We wanted to test whether you can connect two laptops at once with only one TimeR device, which doesn't work.

The only notification they have regarding OS requirements is in their manual which you only get after buying the software. If there is a notification on their website stating otherwise then anyone must correct me.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Ok so I just went to their web site and they don't give enough info so I can see your beef there. I would also assume from what they post that it would work with Windows 8. Personally I'm intrigued that it works with OS X...I just wish it was more accepted or compatible with MyLaps but I get it that it is IR based and not RF based.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks! For a moment I thought my accusation that the software is neither up to date nor adequate was unfair towards DCD.

I wish their system could have worked with other proper timing software, because this will take a lot of programming responsibility away from them and make it more user friendly since we can choose what software to use.

All the data is stored in ".lap" files, but you can view them in MS notepad or MS Excel . This make it easier to write an add-on that can read the data and make something more usefull with it, it will still take alot of code and time that is an unnecessary waste.

Last edited by ZA_Fourie; 10-15-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ZA_Fourie
Thanks! For a moment I thought my accusation that the software is neither up to date nor adequate was unfair towards DCD.

I wish their system could have worked with other proper timing software, because this will take a lot of programming responsibility away from them and make it more user friendly since we can choose what software to use.

All the data is stored in ".lap" files, but you can view them in MS notepad or MS Excel . This make it easier to write an add-on that can read the data and make something more usefull with it, it will still take alot of code and time that is an unnecessary waste.
Does their software not output something useful for racing?
Old 10-15-2013, 07:24 AM
Tech Regular

Windows 8 is not compatible with a large amount of various software's. The huge changes in its architecture has become the issue. MS is suppose to release Windows 8.1 later this month due to the public not happy with Win8. I haven't seen it yet, but I will assume changes are made so it looks like previous windows versions.
I would suggest that you get a copy of Windows7 and install it. Ive seen it for 80 USD with a coupon at Newegg.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yes it does. You get the results of:

1) Qualifying race mode where the times of the individual racers are being measured when they cross the starting line for the first time and everyones qualifying ends when his own clock runs out.
2) Finals race mode where all the driver start to race the moment the clock starts until the time runs out.

That's it.

If I want to use it for several qualifiers and race towards mains then I must do the calculations myself..
Old 10-15-2013, 07:30 AM
Tech Regular

There may be another way to make it work, but it doesn't work all the time.

Under programs look for the TimeR software exe file. Right click on it, and go to properties. Then there should be a tab that says "compatibility" Click on it, and you can change how windows runs the program. You can make it Win7 or possible WinXP. Click on which one you want (it will be a drop down menu), and click ok. Then restart the computer and see if it works.

If you are not familiar on how to do this, find someone who is.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JimmyG
There may be another way to make it work, but it doesn't work all the time.

Under programs look for the TimeR software exe file. Right click on it, and go to properties. Then there should be a tab that says "compatibility" Click on it, and you can change how windows runs the program. You can make it Win7 or possible WinXP. Click on which one you want (it will be a drop down menu), and click ok. Then restart the computer and see if it works.

If you are not familiar on how to do this, find someone who is.
The sofware runs in windows 8, but the bluetooth connection doesn't work. It recieves the signal and recognises the device but then for some unkown reason it become unavailable. We turned the firewall off, turned the antivirus software off and tried several times, but it still didn't work.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ZA_Fourie
Yes it does. You get the results of:

1) Qualifying race mode where the times of the individual racers are being measured when they cross the starting line for the first time and everyones qualifying ends when his own clock runs out.
2) Finals race mode where all the driver start to race the moment the clock starts until the time runs out.

That's it.

If I want to use it for several qualifiers and race towards mains then I must do the calculations myself..
I would try and ask other companies that make race software, to see if they can adapt to the system. There are several companies and a few may be willing to do this. Sounds like the system wasn't very well thought out, or it is setup just for rounds, not qualifying and mains..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.