Wiki Posts
Search

Good Rechargable AA's for Radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 12:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Good Rechargable AA's for Radio

I have several assorted radios, some I use often some every once in a while. Can you guys recommend a good rechargable AA battery and charger?

I went to walmart and looked to see what they have but it was a joke.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I love my sanyo eneloop xx 2500 mah's, work great and last a long time. I charge with a powerex wizard one charger/analyzer, its nice because you can charge 4 at once but they are all being charged independently.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Not knowing what sort of volume you want i cant really recoment specifics but i do know that tenergy does make AA rechargeable batteries and chargers...in fact they make about every battery type and chemistry... they make rc specific hard case batt to.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:40 AM
Tech Adept

I looking for about 12 rechargeable AA's with at least 2000mah. I was looking at sanyo eneloops
Old 07-14-2013, 12:59 AM
Tech Champion

I've used the eneloops and they work great too.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:13 AM
Tech Champion

I wasent even thinking. If these are going into txs then why not get some transmitter battery packs instead?
Old 07-14-2013, 01:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Get these, they are the best.
If you have the time, just Google them, then you will agree.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:33 AM
Tech Champion

i found it funny to look at the 4cents per charge this way~

the batteries cost 4 cents to charge and can be charged 1500 times thats 60 dollars in charging before the battery wont hold a charge any more and 4 batteries to a case means 240 dollars in charging costs. so now your 10 dollar box of batteries now costs a whopping 250 dollars.(that is what you will eventually spend on the 4 batteries) Doesnt sound cheap right now but it is compared to buying disposables by A LOT

Just found that sort of funny
Old 07-14-2013, 01:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you do the math, you charge these batteries just once a week,
look how many years it takes to get to 1500 charges.
Well over a decade.
10 minutes ago, I just ordered a 4 pack from Amazon.com.
==================================================
Item Subtotal: $12.48
Shipping & Handling: $0.00

Total Before Tax: $12.48

Order Total: $12.48

To learn more about ordering, go to Ordering from Amazon.com.
If you want more information or need more assistance, go to Help.

Thank you for shopping with us.
Amazon.com
Old 07-14-2013, 02:39 AM
Tech Champion

Definitely go for a Low Self Discharge – Ready To Use rechargeable nimh battery like the Eneloops. Tenergy also has a LSD-RTU version that probably aren't a match for the Eneloops but have worked great in transmitters for me (not the regular nimh rechargeables).

3 Cards: Tenergy Centura NiMH AA 2000mAh Low Self Discharge Rechargeable Batteries

The magic of the LSD-RTU batteries is they hold charge almost as well as lipo and other lithium types with few of the possible if occasional drawbacks of lithium. I suspect most regular nimh transmitter batteries and packs run down more from self discharge than they do from actual use. I charge mine a few times per year if that, even then they have never actually ran down. Particularly great for occasionally used transmitters and other stuff.

Are there any transmitter packs made from Low Self Discharge ni-mh like the Eneloops?

Is the 4 cents a charge referring to the electricity cost? Seems kind of high, suspect it’s closer to 0.04¢.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:35 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I use energizer in my flysky
Old 07-14-2013, 05:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I used to use Nimh batteries in my radios. Switched to lipos, sooooo much better. Hardly ever need charging, and quite a bit lighter. I'd recommend lipos if they'll fit. I realize some radios don't have a removable AA tray, so they aren't an option.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Eneloops are as good as it gets for NiMh AA. You can try the higher capacity (2500 vs 2000) version for less charging.

http://www.amazon.com/eneloop-Capaci...ref=pd_sim_e_1

Old 07-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Tech Adept

One of my radios is a airtronic mx-v, manual says to use a 2s lipo if I want to go lipo. Whats a good cheap lipo for radio?
Old 07-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Agreed, WallyMart is not the place to look for NiMh or chargers. Been there,
done that.

I've been using the 12-slot smart charger (slow) and AA 2900 mAh batts from:

http://www.accuevolution.com/index.html

AccuEvolution 12 Slot AA/AAA LCD Battery Charger - read a review somewhere and it claimed this is one of the smart chargers to consider. Now that I've used it some, I cannot deny it does appear to do everything well - includes a negative delta-v cut off function (temperature change over time), twelve independent charging slots, error indicator, discharge function with refresh program, etc.

AA 2900 mAh NiMH (4-Pack) - the results on the AAs is good and bad. The dud rate was a little high IMO but they still only cost $3.10 each after culling.
The ones that are good are awesome. The staying power in my Fuji digital bridge camera is incredible - took the camera on a road trip and shot 70 plus frames and they were still going when I got back. No question, they can out run any alkalines by a wide margin in my digital camera. If they work out as well in some R/C applications, I'm gonna be convinced.

A five cell holder measures max voltage of 6.8 volts every time they are charged. Initial testing with an analog servo and a 2.4 Ghz Rx indicates no instability problems observed so far.

Placed a second order with Accu Evolution. Things did not go as expected. The
merchant waited nine days to notify me that the 2900 mAh batts I ordered are out
of stock and *never* updated the Web store to reflect the fact that these batts
are currently not available. The page for these batts continues to offer them for
sale.

Accu Evolution has now been placed on my *hit list. YMMV - enter at your own risk.
Turn me over with a fork - I'm done.

Last edited by NDx41; 07-30-2013 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Notice Of Merchant With Poor Service

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.