Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Compatible electronics? >

Compatible electronics?

Compatible electronics?

Old 07-09-2013, 10:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Compatible electronics?

How do you know if you electronics are compatible? Like if I had x ESC, x motor, x receiver, and x radio all of different brands how would I know if their compatible?
Old 07-09-2013, 11:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Most of the equipment out there are compatible. That's the fun of it. I run different motors like reedy and trinity through my LRP speedo which connected to an airtronics servo controlled by a Kopropo radio. And it all works fine. My other car uses the same motors with a Viper speed control connected to a radiopost servo using the same Kopropo radio and its works great. I just stick with the sensored stuff cause it uses industry standards which will guarantee that things will work. Depending on what radio you use(some of the newer high end radios have such a short latency, they can kill non digital servos), you might wanna stay digital. But besides that, do your research and pick what ever you like. Have fun.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:21 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Most everything is compatible except for transmitter/receivers. Use the receivers for the radio you have. There are some that are compatible with others but I have not seen a list of such.

For instance, my electric cars use Airtronics Tx/Rx with Futaba and JR servos, Tekin escs and Reedy or Thunderpower motors.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Another area of concern is matching your batteries to your charger. Not difficult, but you do need to think about it.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by porterdog
Another area of concern is matching your batteries to your charger. Not difficult, but you do need to think about it.
As long as you charge a lipo battery with a lipo charger you will be fine. Read the directions on the battery to get the rate charge rate. I personally charge at 6 amps but I know some people set the rate to what the battery mah is. A 4,500 2s at 4.5 amps charging or a 5,000 pack at 5 amps. Either way follow the charger directions and you won't have a problem.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all that so I can mix it up pretty good and stay digital
Old 07-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Tech Champion

Sensored vs. sensorless motors and ESCs. Perhaps a good idea to stick with matching types. Yes some sensored ESCs can run sensorless motors, but some can't. And most sensorless ESCs will run sensored motors, but sometimes not all that well. If considering crossing types suggest doing some research before spending.

Some combinations of servos, ESC, and radios can present a challenge, not a deal breaker but something I think worth mentioning. Some high powered servos, notably some Savox and other Tricore based ones, occasionally other high powered models, have very high amp requirements and don't work so well in certain combinations, can lead to radio brownouts. Some ESCs are known to have weaker BEC circuits than some, Castle being one, I suspect Tekin RS series are slightly weaker than most, possibly others, can have trouble maintaining voltage under the high servo load. Budget Spektrum receivers are more susceptible than most to brown out issues in these combinations, but it also occasionally causes issues with other brands. A fairly inexpensive Glitch Buster or Stutter Stopper capacitor on the receiver frequently solves the issue, sometimes an external BEC is needed.

Originally Posted by porterdog
Absolutely. Yes, most lipo chargers can charge most RC lipo batteries, but if you have a larger 1/8 electric or a monster truck that uses a 4S to 6S (or larger) lipo, the charge times can be very long with a generic 40 to 50 watt charger. (For some of us a 50 watt charger is too slow on even a 2S )