Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best 2.4Ghz Transmitter with Speed function

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Best 2.4Ghz Transmitter with Speed function

Hi guys I've tried looking for previous posts on this but had no luck finding it.
Im looking to get a new transmitter for my HPI sprint 2 sport which I have a Traxxas Velineon vxl 3s system installed on. * not sure if that makes a difference in which transmitter might be compatible nut just that you guys know

Like i said in the title im looking for a transmitter which as good useful features, good back light, displays my car speed... btw I have seen the TQ which is iphone/ipod touch compatible but i dont own one so thats out of the equation for me. price is not an issue

Could you guys tell me the 5 best ones available or you would highly recommend please, I would really appreciate that and thanks in advance
Old 07-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Telemetry radios generally monitor temperature, not speed. The Traxxas TQi with the Ipod attached and the proper sensor installed is the only one I know of that will do it but even then, it is only programmed to do so on some Traxxas cars.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Oh wow that sucks
Old 07-03-2013, 04:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The Airtronics MT4 comes with an RPM sensor that will allow you to display speed with some gyrations. There are also aftermarket sensors that are more easily integrated. I have this radio and like it very much.

I believe that Spektrum (which IME is crap but plenty of other people like) also has a new mid-line radio with telemetry, but I wouldn't buy it on a bet my Spektrum gear sucks so bad. Glitchy shite that belongs at the bottom of a lake.

Last edited by porterdog; 07-03-2013 at 04:58 AM. Reason: speling
Old 07-03-2013, 05:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Futaba 4PL or 4PLS both have telemetry but I think it is limited as well to temp, not so much RPM. 40 model memory, more settings and adjustments than you will probably use all for around 240-260$
Old 07-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Default radio

A speed gun works better for speed. I have radiopost, because it is for me the most hooked in feel to what the car is doing. Now that Grid RC has a drop down wheel for the MT4 I might try that again, but wasn't comfortable to me after having a drop down wheel on all my 3pk's
Old 07-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Futaba 4PLS has telemetry(4PL doesn't)and covers temp, rpm, rx voltage, external voltage, plus atmospheric pressure and GPS for flight systems. I just bought one and love it so far.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/accessories/futm0850.html

Last edited by ImageX; 07-04-2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Thnx guys ill take a look at the Futaba... @btrukr i got a speed gun but was hoping there was a transmitter that had a built in speed detector
Old 07-09-2013, 09:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Lots of radios are equipped with speed (and other) telemetry these days. The Aitronics MT-4 and M12, the Futaba 4PLS, and the Spektrum DX4S, DX3R, and DX3S, and Traxxas TQi all have it. If you want to go old-school, the Nomadio has been doing telemetry since 2004 (I still have a Nomadio Sensor and a couple of Nomadio Reacts).

I recommend the MT-4 or 4PLS for reliable all around radios or the M12 if you are a hardcore racer (I currently use the M12 and MT-4).
Old 07-10-2013, 05:14 AM
Tech Initiate

@guidoracer i know the traxxas tqi has the ability to track your top speed except it is iphone compatible only which i dont have, but im reading the others and they dont seem to have it.. i Looked t the 4pls and MT-4 there is throttle speed, acellerastion speed, sterring speed and rpm... But not top speed
Old 07-10-2013, 05:16 AM
Tech Initiate

@guidoracer i know the traxxas tqi has the ability to track your top speed except it is iphone compatible only which i dont have, but im reading the others and they dont seem to have it.. i Looked t the 4pls and MT-4 there is throttle speed, acellerastion speed, sterring speed and rpm... But not top speed

Originally Posted by GuidoRacer
Lots of radios are equipped with speed (and other) telemetry these days. The Aitronics MT-4 and M12, the Futaba 4PLS, and the Spektrum DX4S, DX3R, and DX3S, and Traxxas TQi all have it. If you want to go old-school, the Nomadio has been doing telemetry since 2004 (I still have a Nomadio Sensor and a couple of Nomadio Reacts).

I recommend the MT-4 or 4PLS for reliable all around radios or the M12 if you are a hardcore racer (I currently use the M12 and MT-4).
Old 07-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by accountsmaster
i Looked t the 4pls and MT-4 there is throttle speed, acellerastion speed, sterring speed and rpm... But not top speed
Some of those are settings, not telemetry. Throttle speed allows one to slow down the throttle signal rate of change, so that if you floor it as fast as you can the car will actually react a little more slowly. You can do this with the steering as well.

With respect to top speed, you need to tell the radio how far the car travels per each revolution of whatever thing you're monitoring the RPM of (could be motor, could be spur, could be shaft, whatever...). Then the radio does the conversion to speed. Download the manual and look at pages 69-70.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

A speed gun will still be more accurate than any of the RPM-based ones because the RPM based ones don't account for tires ballooning at full speed which can change the final drive ratio (even if the ballooning is very slight) which effects how that speed is calculated.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah, the only way you're going to get a radio that displays accurate top speed is with GPS. I'm pretty sure you'll only get that with flight systems with this sensor. The sensor costs $180 and the radio is $3000.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBYNR
Old 07-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Tech Initiate

oh ok i got it, so my hopes of finding a radio with that feature which is accurate is pretty much zero.... im just surprise no one has not made one with that feature will all the high technological access these days. thnx for the input guys, very much appreciated