Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
6 Low Profile Servos, Please Discuss. >

6 Low Profile Servos, Please Discuss.

6 Low Profile Servos, Please Discuss.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I may have missed it but what radio are you using ?
Brownout issues are due to a combination of radio/esc/servo.
Servo performance as well is highly influenced by the radio choice.
Solar ? no way. A good servo is an investment.

Last edited by asc6000; 06-15-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asc6000
I may have missed it but what radio are you using ?
Brownout issues are due to a combination of radio/esc/servo.
Servo performance as well is highly influenced by the radio choice.
Solar ? no way. A good servo is an investment.
I never had a glith/brownout issue till just yesterday

So I hooked up a TQi reciever to my HW 80A ESC and my EXI servo, I felt like I was on Drag Race line my car was sputtering when I was just sitting idle and the servo was like screw you im not turning anyway you want me to and if I do it will be for a second.
I hooked my GT3B back up and no issues. It was really odd.

I have the Solar D770 on the way, I will be getting something better in the near future, for now I want to see how it performs in my TA06 for drifting, I have a Hitec in there now so I can compare the two and give some feedback.
Ultimately im looking to invest in a quality(Solar excluded, possibly) low-profile servo. The six I mentioned caught my eye and I was interested in hearing what everyone has to say about those and any others. I do enjoy hearing everyones feedback
Old 06-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Tech Addict

Correct me if im wrong but here is most every servo company I could find and who is there parent company(in bold) and which brands they make. I put them in order of how I feel people in this thread are judging them...

1. Ko Propo

2. Futaba
Hobbico

3. Savox
Spektrum
Align
Team Orion

4. Airtronics
Sanwa

5. Radiopost

6. Hitec
Hobbico

7. EXI
Solar

I dont get though if Savox makes all these other company parts and the prices are all rather similar, why then are the Team Orion servos more expensive?
Old 06-16-2013, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Because it says Orion on the side.....

What are you trying to get out of this thread? You should choose a servo that fits your need (1/10-1/8, on-road or off-road, more strength or speed). If you talk to racers they want speed/torque/durability and past that it becomes feel related.

I disagree with your ranking but without some more information it's hard to give you better direction.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mkiiina
Because it says Orion on the side.....

What are you trying to get out of this thread? You should choose a servo that fits your need (1/10-1/8, on-road or off-road, more strength or speed). If you talk to racers they want speed/torque/durability and past that it becomes feel related.

I disagree with your ranking but without some more information it's hard to give you better direction.
I want three things.
First and formost I want to find a low profile servo to suit my drift needs, so it has to be fast.
Secondly I want a servo that will double as a racers choice as I would like to start racing club/spec.
Third I want to build a coprehensive database for anyone that has questions about similar servos hence my previous post. All other servo threads are 2 pages and dead. I'd like input from everyone regarding low profile servos.

JayL did it right, he listed his perspective, others have done the same and that is appreciated.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

Drifting servo requirements are extremely low. Any cheapo servo will probably be adequate. A 4wd SC truck and 1/8th scale wheelers require a MUCH better servo so the application is dictating the requirements more than a comparison of brands. Also the skill of the driver has a huge affect on which is better, believe it or not a servo can be too fast for some drivers.
Additionally a servo should match the radio systems abilities so for now that solar is fine.
http://www.servodatabase.com/
Old 06-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Tech Addict

Drifting servo requirements are extremely low. Any cheapo servo will probably be adequate. A 4wd SC truck and 1/8th scale wheelers require a MUCH better servo so the application is dictating the requirements more than a comparison of brands. Also the skill of the driver has a huge affect on which is better, believe it or not a servo can be too fast for some drivers.
Additionally a servo should match the radio systems abilities so for now that solar is fine.
http://www.servodatabase.com/
I will be using the servo for. 1/10 onroad drift/grip driving only.
I don't want a specs database I want a impression database, thoughts, feelings, etc.
So if you have used any low profile servo please list those thoughts and impressions.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

sorry to rob this thread..
anybody tried sanwa's new low profile ERS-971 servo?
i think it's the same as airtronics 94647..
TIA!
Old 06-17-2013, 12:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Daghan
sorry to rob this thread..
anybody tried sanwa's new low profile ERS-971 servo?
i think it's the same as airtronics 94647..
TIA!
FYI, I did note a couple posts up that Airtronics makes Sanwa so you are probably right

Not robbing at all! Ask away, I want this to be the premier Low-Profile Servo thread, hope you get a reply.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Arsenal2012
I will be using the servo for. 1/10 onroad drift/grip driving only.
I don't want a specs database I want a impression database, thoughts, feelings, etc.
So if you have used any low profile servo please list those thoughts and impressions.
Unfortunately impressions are a matter of opinion so like many reviews of various things it may be difficult to form any consensus of any kind.
I do appreciate your goal and applaud your efforts.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Tech Addict

Unfortunately impressions are a matter of opinion so like many reviews of various things it may be difficult to form any consensus of any kind.
I do appreciate your goal and applaud your efforts.
So what are your impressions on any/all of the low-profile servos that you have used? Id like to know
Old 06-17-2013, 05:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Are you running a FRP or Carbon chassis? Alot of the time this wont happen on FRP chassis but do the the conductivity of the carbon it causes glitching...

On another note, I ordered the Solar D770 today and depending on feedback from everyone im going to pick up something else mentioned in this post. Hopefully the D770 wont be broke by that time and I can compare the two.

JayL mentioned the KO RSx-one10, the specs seem comparable to the ones that I listed but the price does not, he says quality/reliablity and feel make this his number one! Anyone else running this with thought or thoughts on the others mentioned here?
My S411 is a CF chassis the Summit is plastic. I also run Savox in a DEX410 which is an alloy chassis, none of them have issues. I don't think the chassis type is going to cause issues, the glitch happens as the servo draws too much power for the ESC's BEC circuit, which causes a temporary voltage drop that Spektrum rx's seem to be more sensitive to than other radios. The cap acts as a storage area so that in the event of a voltage drop, the rx can draw power from there (only good for maybe a fraction of a second but often that's all it needs) Really it's a bandaid solution rather than fixing it entirely.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Tech Addict

How does everyone else feel about the ko prop rsx one10?
Think I might get it based off of one opinion....

Also I heard mention of Sanwa ERS-971, made by futaba. Anyone ever used one?
Old 06-20-2013, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

How does everyone else feel about the ko prop rsx one10?
Think I might get it based off of one opinion....

Also I heard mention of Sanwa ERS-971, made by futaba. Anyone ever used one?
I've used KO, Futaba, Savox, Spektrum and AE servos

KO RSX one10 - Best servo I've owned hands down. I have two now. I run them in my offroad vehicles (XB4, SC10) as well but bought them for my TC.

Futaba's (bls551, bls451, s9551) all of them are great and not as expensive as the KO. No complaints at all with them. These are what I have for spares.

AE (DS1313, DS1015) These servos work great. My biggest complaint is you can't replace the wires on them. So if wires get damaged you are SOL on fixing them yourself. So that was why I stopped using them.

Savox/Spektrum(1251, 6040) Had brownout issues with these. They sell these for cheap because they use cheaper components inside. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you don't. It's a crap shoot. They are noisy, they are power hungry. I think their QC is the biggest issue.

Like someone already said. A good servo is an investment. You will use it for a long time to come if you take care of it.

Sanwa is Airtronics.

My .02

Edit: After reading JayL's assessment I fully agree with him.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:43 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Careful about Align servos. Yes, people have pointed out Savox/Align are the same but I saw the equivalent servos opened up. The Align pretty much had all aluminum gears while the Savox had at least one or two brass gears. The Align servo application is made for flight so they do not see as much abuse as cars do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.