http://phys.org/news/2013-06-all-sol...thium-ion.html
Old 06-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nice thanks for the link.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Half the voltage at eight times the density, so four times the gravimetric storage density.

Holy crap. All-solid, too. These things are going to wear MUCH nicer than LiOn/LiPo/LiFePO4.

Oh! And no Elemental Lithium, no flammable electrolytes, so NO FIRE! Also, there's already a lot of traction on Lithium-Sulfur Self-healing tech as well (that's where it started.)

Wonder when we'll see these in RC use? I'm all for a higher cell count if it means improved safety and four times the runtime.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Tech Champion

Interesting they claim energy density, but I don’t believe I saw any claims of power density, a significantly different aspect of battery performance. Which would be required for most if not many RC power applications.

Never say never I guess, but note the words potential, hope to see their research move quickly, etc. For any one interested one of the other sites has a lengthy thread with a huge list of similar ground breaking research announcements, generally with plenty of positive predictions. A lot of it is publicity for continued funding, which is part of the deal of course, useable results or not.

But hey, the potential is great if someone does make a true breakthrough that’s for sure. And there certainly is a lot of research funding going on.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
Interesting they claim energy density, but I don’t believe I saw any claims of power density, a significantly different aspect of battery performance. Which would be required for most if not many RC power applications.

Never say never I guess, but note the words potential, hope to see their research move quickly, etc. For any one interested one of the other sites has a lengthy thread with a huge list of similar ground breaking research announcements, generally with plenty of positive predictions. A lot of it is publicity for continued funding, which is part of the deal of course, useable results or not.

But hey, the potential is great if someone does make a true breakthrough that’s for sure. And there certainly is a lot of research funding going on.
Obviously you don't get it. If it's on the internet, it must be true. ;-)
Old 06-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ufoDziner
Obviously you don't get it. If it's on the internet, it must be true. ;-)
Old 06-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Tech Champion

uhh, Bonjour
Old 06-07-2013, 07:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H

Power density would be the next big key point, I'd like to see the numbers they come up with once they make batteries beyond lab samples.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I wonder if this is the "any future battery technology" that Revolectrix was talking about. I hope so because i'll be pissed if I have to buy another charger. But i'm sure it will be years before this hits the r/c world anyway, if it works.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:46 AM
Tech Champion

Better hope a much lower voltage cell doesn't take hold then. That might be the biggest risk to many otherwise highly flexible and firmware updateable chargers as lipos have a fairly high cell voltage. If the cell voltages drop significantly 6 to 8 cells or so may not be enough for electric 1/8 beasts, monster truckers, and the like. But perhaps parallel charging could save the day though, depending on the charge characteristics of course (not all cells can be parallel charged).