Wiki Posts
Search

Charger/balancer ampers

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 05:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Charger/balancer ampers

Hi guys. So my story is that: I have lipo battery IP 6000mAh and have a Triton charger and Equinox balancer. So connected all this combo, battery is charging all was good. In Triton you need only to select how many capacity is battery and voltage. Soo i did it and battery is charging. I see that ampers is very low by charging and balancing. Ampers on charing is only about 1,5A. Is that normal on charging and balancing or not? Sorry for my bad english
Old 05-04-2013, 06:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Which model do you have? Going by one I just looked up, it looks like the max charge rate is 5A, so that's what it should be charging at until near the end of the cycle.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:25 AM
Tech Rookie

The power supply has to be able to handle the charge rate. Also, with lipos, the current supplied to the battery tapers off as the battery nears full charge. You will only see maximum amperage available from the charger at the beginning of the charge cycle.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 137 (98%+)

I kinda have same issue i charge at 5.0 amps and it will quickly go down to a amp or less for like 30 mins charging about 4000 mah is taking around 80 mins is that right
Old 05-04-2013, 08:15 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ashxxx
I kinda have same issue i charge at 5.0 amps and it will quickly go down to a amp or less for like 30 mins charging about 4000 mah is taking around 80 mins is that right
It’s OK but perhaps somewhat on the high side for time. A few common things can increase the charge time, especially the last portion where amps are dropping off.

A pack that is developing significant imbalance between the cells. Thus requiring a fair bit of balance time at relatively low amps. Not much can be done beyond a new pack, except may not be as bad if run time is reduced some. Generally imbalances are worse the farther the pack is discharged.

The lipo condition and age. Lipos with high internal resistance charge slower as they force the charger to the lower amp mode quicker. How do you store the lipo betweens uses, at what charge state-voltage?

Long charge and balance wires, poor condition or worn connectors, etc, can or will tend to increase charge time. Short wires are better for charging, but may be less convenient of course.

The charger model can make a noticeable difference. Most lipo chargers appear to operate similarly, but there are differences in the controlling firmware and balancing capability.

P.S. If the charge is down to a low amp charge rate, and you want to get going, it doesn't hurt anything to stop the charge and go. No need to wait a long time for very little capacity being added, unless it's for stock racing where you want everything you can get. I almost always short charge myself, more overall fun time. There is some data that suggests it's easier on the lipo even.