Wiki Posts
Search

Sensor Hall Testing and Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)
Default Sensor Hall Testing and Replacement

Does anyone have any experience testing and/or replacing the sensor halls in their motors?

I had a nasty crash on the track yesterday which paralyzed my car, if you gave it a gentle push the motor would start back up, but once at a complete stop, the car was immobile again. After playing with the mechanical settings/ replacing the sensor cable with a brand new one.. the motor eventually stopped working. Then I replaced it with another known working motor and that motor started cogging severely too. So then I figured maybe it was a bad ESC. Then I replaced the ESC with a known good ESC and the cogging was persistent, now with a known good ESC and good motor that were not part of the original crash. I then placed s 3rd known good motor on the second ESC and the cogging was still there.

I am now at a loss... I seem to have introduced some sort of "Cog Cancer" and I am afraid to connect any more electronics in fear of spreading more cog cancer.

I have since ordered a sensor hall tester from RCMart and plan to verify all the sensors are bad on my now 3 non functional motors and 2 non functional ESC's.

In retrospect, if I had a sensor tester, I could've easily verified if I had a bad sensor cable or motor right off the bat before ruining my ESC and cascading my issue to other electronics
Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

It would be benificial for you and those who might be able to help you if you provide us with the brand - model/version - wind/Kv of what motor and esc you are using.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I am not interested in starting a brand war as I've heard this sort of problem exists regardless of brand of motor used. I am more interested in learning which brands do in fact offer sensor hall replacement parts, I think that would be more beneficial information along with any pics or video demonstrating how to replace a sensor hall should one get banged up on the track.