Lipo Charger

Old 04-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Lipo Charger

What is a good lipo charger that is popular? I want to get some input on a good charger that is reliable, popular, and not to expensive. I currently have a traxxas ez peak plus charger that I like but I feel it takes FOREVER to charge a battery.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by austinspeer810
What is a good lipo charger that is popular? I want to get some input on a good charger that is reliable, popular, and not to expensive. I currently have a traxxas ez peak plus charger that I like but I feel it takes FOREVER to charge a battery.
Changing brands of chargers is not, or it shouldn't, decrease the time it takes to charge a battery. Modern batteries, especially LiPO packs, should be charged at 1C (or 1amp per 1000mAh of battery pack rating) - so be prepared to wait.
If you don't like waiting between runs, buy multiple packs.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by pablo040
Changing brands of chargers is not, or it shouldn't, decrease the time it takes to charge a battery. Modern batteries, especially LiPO packs, should be charged at 1C (or 1amp per 1000mAh of battery pack rating) - so be prepared to wait.
If you don't like waiting between runs, buy multiple packs.
Modern Lipo packs using nanowire tech (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanowire_battery) can indeed be charged safely at higher rates. Refer to the manufacturer documentation for their safe charge rate. I don't use the most common charger so I can't comment there.

What battery are you using?
Old 04-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

First things first...how much are you looking to spend? That will determine the quality and speed of your charging needs. A high quality charger with the proper power supply will get you accurate and safe 3c charging capabilities.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

A good quality charger that can go higher than 1c rate will be 100 bucks and over. Most of them are DC only, so you will need a power supply.
I suggest looking at Progressive RC They have many different chargers and power supplies to choose from. They have combo deals with cases, and calculators so you can figure out what type of power supply you need to charge at higher rates and with multiple cells.