Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Want to upgrade to a better battery charger. >

Want to upgrade to a better battery charger.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Want to upgrade to a better battery charger.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 06:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnnyr/c
What's the deal with the computer power supplies?
They are a great alternative to buying "r/c specific" supplies. The output stable power.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
I agree it's wise to get more than 50W of charge power. I suggest considering advanced capability also.

Better chargers have greater balancing power, can measure the Internal Resistance to help keep tabs on battery condition-performance, control state of charge for quicker charges if running mod which also helps lipo life, control final voltage, higher discharge power for the occasional times it's needed, etc.

Better chargers with more sophistcated features include Powerlabs, Net & Duo Hyperions, ThunderPower, and iCharger models.
I seen power labs on big squid, liked that you were able to see how much actual charge was left in the battery and had the over discharge recovery.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnnysplits
They are a great alternative to buying "r/c specific" supplies. The output stable power.
I seen alot of guys selling these on rctech. I guess it works well since it based on the same principal
Old 04-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Tech Addict

Maxamps sells them for like $100. You can buy the exact same thing on ebay for $50 or even less.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnnyr/c
Yea bayside is great, wish there were more tracks closer. What's the deal with the computer power supplies?
You get a lot more power for less money. Those are used power supplies. I have one too. Its cleaner & steady power. Better than regular power supplies. Keep in mind these are made for computers. They must be solid and accurate plus are made to run 24x7. They will last a long time.
Other thing I like they are smaller in size.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Tech Champion

That's exactly what I have. If the voltage and watts double, why wouldn't the amperage?
In a series connection all of the current must pass through each unit. And since each can only pass 47 amps that's all the series combination can pass.

Two power sources in series adds voltage, amperage is the same.

Two power sources in parallel adds amperage, voltage is the same.

Special precautions and/or appropriate supplies are required either way.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:17 AM
Tech Addict

In a series connection all of the current must pass through each unit. And since each can only pass 47 amps that's all the series combination can pass.

Two power sources in series adds voltage, amperage is the same.

Two power sources in parallel adds amperage, voltage is the same.

Special precautions and/or appropriate supplies are required either way.
So it would be best to have the series connection over the parallel correct?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:49 AM
Tech Regular

I use the Icharger 206B. does 20 amps up to 6s. Got mine when the LHS was open, they were a Progressive RC dealer. The charger is small, doesnt get hot, and charges quickly. Has all the bells and whistles too. IR, Motor Drive (if still running brushed motors) storage mode, balance charge, non-balance charge, lipo, lilo, nimh, nicd, does it all...
It is DC powered only. I still use my Radio Shack 25 amp power supply on 2 of these.. no issues. I charge my batteries, at high rates, because I dont have time to sit at my table. Im also running the track, so I have them on balance charge, in a lipo bag. One charges at 16 amps, the other at 7 amps. Usually they get done in 15min or less.

Progressive RC
Old 04-02-2013, 04:28 AM
Tech Champion

So it would be best to have the series connection over the parallel correct?
If the charger can accept the 24 volt input (which your PL can) series is correct. Where possible higher voltage is more efficient, less heat and power loss at lower current.

Can't say I care for the way many achieve the 24 volts with series server supplies though, leaving one case ungrounded. Some take the care to modify the supply for floating DC outputs, that is a better and safer solution I believe.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have the Junsi iCharger 306b which charges up to 30A single port up to 6S. It has been my best purchase in RC! At 24V input it's a 1000W charger and at 12V input it's a 500W charger. I use the TrakPower 25A 12V because of its size and don't need more than 300W. I charge my 2S 6600mAh Turnigy NanoTechs at 30A which finish in less than 10 minutes even mostly discharged which comes in handy during outdoor with 4wd Short Course. I highly recommend it.

http://www.progressiverc.com/icharge...Fcme4Aod60YA4A
Old 04-02-2013, 07:15 AM
Tech Regular

If the charger can accept the 24 volt input (which your PL can) series is correct. Where possible higher voltage is more efficient, less heat and power loss at lower current.

Can't say I care for the way many achieve the 24 volts with series server supplies though, leaving one case ungrounded. Some take the care to modify the supply for floating DC outputs, that is a better and safer solution I believe.
I agree. I have seen alot of these things on the internet, and unless it says, they have been wired correctly, I wouldnt even touch them. I have see a few stating how the ground issue was tackled, and they explain in some detail how they were worked. On ebay, I read all of the negative and positive feedback, and will ask the seller how they were wired. If he doesnt know, I would be leary. The last thing you want, is your charger going up in smoke!!
Old 04-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Tech Adept

I will second either the iCharger 206b or 306b. The 206b with only a 350-370w power supply will charge a 4s battery at 20a. It's not entirely necessary to go to the 306b unless you want to try and hit your battery's charge rating if they're high. You won't need more than a 550w PS for the 306b and a 370w PS for the 206b if you don't go over 4s.

I'm a fan of progressive rc. I bought one of their powerlab 8 case combos and it's been great so far. Overall i'd recommend http://www.progressiverc.com/the-sid...50w-combo.html.

It's important to note you might not get a charger's full capability if you don't match the required input voltage. For example the iCharger 206b's 500w rating only comes in at > 18v input. Again.. with 4s batteries you'll only need a little over 350w.

Progressive RC's power supplies have adjustable voltage which you won't find on many (if any) converted server PSUs.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:14 AM
Tech Addict

The supplies I bought from ebay stated that they are wired specifically for series operation and the cases can be mounted side by side, touching each other. So, that was the first thing I did when plugging them in. So I permanently attached them and did a wrap that looks like carbon fiber and some decals. http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/a...psc204eb38.jpg