Wiki Posts
Search

Airtronics M12 radio is a ripoff

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Airtronics M12 radio is a ripoff

I bought an Airtronics M12 radio less than 3 months ago. Has been working fine, very well in fact. This last Saturday. Missed the mains because the radio crapped out. Both cars are dead in the water. I had a mate come over and bind his m12 to both my cars and the work. Tried to bind mine nothing. For a radio that cost over $600 this is unacceptable. To make matters worse, the servo I bought with it, freezes during its first use. Another Airtronics product failed.

I started checking and fine that this is a common occurrence with this radio. This what pisses me off. Airtronics must have known of this issue.

I will call them in the morning, be told that i will have to send it in. Wait several weeks without a radio, no racing.

I'm beyond pissed. I've got a $600 paperweight.

As far as I'm concerned, iVe been ripped off. It's a faulty product.

Last edited by meddman; 03-24-2013 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 03-24-2013, 09:21 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I guess every radio has some failures, I had no shortage of issues with my 4pl but as soon as I mentioned it on the forums I got attacked by a pack of Futaba fanboys!

Hope you can get your issues resolved, in the mean time maybe try and find a cheap MT4 tx just to keep running? (I know I kept my old MT4 when I upgraded) you know murphy's law, if you have a spare, it'll never break!
Old 03-25-2013, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

+1 I always travel to races with a backup radio. You never know what might happen.

Pass you soon...
Old 03-25-2013, 09:32 AM
Tech Regular

I finally get thru on phone and someone from hobby centers or hobby town answers the phone. I begin to tell him what is happening, he interrupts and says the airtronics guy isn't there today. I ask there's no one but him to help or answer questions? He states yes that there is only one guy.

Unbelievable !

Please beware if you buy airtronics. They operate like they are working out of there garage.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by meddman
I finally get thru on phone and someone from hobby centers or hobby town answers the phone. I begin to tell him what is happening, he interrupts and says the airtronics guy isn't there today. I ask there's no one but him to help or answer questions? He states yes that there is only one guy.

Unbelievable !

Please beware if you buy airtronics. They operate like they are working out of there garage.
Odd, maybe try getting in touch with airtronics instead of hobby town. It sounds like you are calling your LHS. Not that they shouldn't be able to help but all they will be able to do is call airtronics.
If by hobby town you meant airtronics then disregard the rest of this.

I might try calling or emailing airtronics directly and see what that gets you. A lot of hobby shops are run like they are out of a garage but I doubt airtronics is that way. http://www.airtronics.net/index.php/contacts/
There phone number is at the bottom of the page. That is if you are in the US.

I should also add that I'm not some airtronics fanboy. But it sounds like you just called your LHS.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

meddman your not the 1st.. I have heard many of these go dead like that.. but you won't see them stay up long.. Thats why I dumped my other radios and went with Radiopost.. had a issue and in 24 hours had a new radio at my door..good luck Know how ur feeling..
Old 03-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Tech Regular

I did call airtronics. The 714 number the manual states as well as website. This takes you to customer service thru this hobby chain of stores. Ask for airtronics, he's not there today. Worst customer service I've ever had. It really looks like they are working out of a garage. I'm embarrassed I ever bought this price of crap.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:16 PM
Tech Regular

Yes airtronics is run that way. Look on the website. Call the number. Not the tech support but the customer service number.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Any issues on the MT4? Looking for a new radio and was thinking about 4PL and MT4. Read the 4PL thread and read some issues on glitches etc, so leaning to airtronics but then i read this thread.... have no idea what to get.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Tech Regular

I wouldn't get the airtronics based on what I experienced. But that's me. My m12 was awesome til it crapped out. All I can say is that airtronics customer service is the worse I've ever seen.

THe real slap in the face is that they expect for warranty work for you to submit a credit card number and pay for return of the unit
Old 03-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Dude I feel bad for ya nothing sucks more than to pay your hard earned money on something and it crap out on ya. However to me it depends on how they take care of you in the long run. I know you couldn't get ahold of anyone at first and you were to say the least. Since you have talked to someone how was the experience and what's the turn around time looking like? Also just remember anything electronic can fail at anytime nothing is 100%. I've been doing some research and found that both airtronics and futaba cs sucks so either way it seems to be a lose lose on that.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:18 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah man your right. If kraig or someone had called me back and said something like.....we understand you need your radio for a big race Saturday. We get you radio on Wednesday, how about I ship you a new one the minute yours gets here. That way you get it by Friday.

But they don't . They not return calls, and I guarentee what I will hear is. We will take look at it, that will take at least 3 days. Then bill my credit card to ship it back. Even tho its covered under warranty. Or even worse ll get a reconditioned radio.

This could could have been avoided by respecting me as a customer and taking care of me.

When I had radio post I had a rx die on me. The owner overnighted the latest and greatest rx back to me before I even sent mine back to him. I wasn't even under warranty .
Old 03-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

I just called again and kraig finally answered the phone. I asked if there was anyway he could return ship a new radio out on Wednesday after receiving mine. He agreed. I am happy to hear that. However, I shouldn't have to chase him down. He should have called me back. We will see what happens. If it comes back this week I will recall my comments.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default transmitter

I think the issue with most racer's and experienced RC'ers have, is that to many newb's make mistakes on there own part and wan't satisfaction from the manufacturer and the manufacturer does not know the RC'ers experience so they have to go through the process of whether it was owner error or faulty product. I have been through this frustration personally so I can relate
Old 03-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I've been trying to get a replacement antenna and case for my Airtronics 92744 receiver for the last 3 months with no luck. The only answer I get is try back next week.

Pass you soon...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.