Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Hobbywing BL System help. >

Hobbywing BL System help.

Hobbywing BL System help.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Red face Hobbywing BL System help.

Ok, so I got a hobbywing 10t/35a-SL combo for my car. I have the program card for it. I've made sure all connections are correct, and tight. I do the setup by the manual, make sure settings are set, and reconnect to the car, turn everything on, and I run forward and its sporadic, jumpy, and no reverse( I have it programmed to forward and reverse setting). I've tried other settings and nothing. Also at one point when I did get reverse, I would turn on the car and it would be running reverse as soon as I switched it on. Transmitter is not set to st. or th. reverse.
What could I be doing wrong?
Old 03-24-2013, 01:26 PM
Tech Regular

make sure your throttle trim is centered, then try the transmitter calibration again
Old 03-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks. Played with calibration, only this time took each step slowly took make sure I didnt skip something. Not sure why it didnt work earlier.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Heard a lot of good stuff about hobbywing so I decided to get the hw sct pro for my teking pro4 4600kv since all the rx8s were back ordered, definitely not a good decision, I'm not saying the esc is trash but it's pretty trash paired w/ a tekin motor I'm going to order the rx8 since it'll be in stock and either sell my hw or buy a motor to match up w/ it
Old 03-27-2013, 08:10 AM
Tech Rookie

So I have it running, but now on ocassion the throttle is jumpy and the car just sits and skips around, won't move. Anyone come across an issue like this?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Is your receiver browning out?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Not sure, what exactly is browning out?
Old 03-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Brownout happens when the receiver doesn't get enough power it needs to stay on, so it sort of turns off momentarily and the car becomes unresponsive. It tends to happen if the servo is drawing more power than the ESC can supply. See if the LED on your receiver goes out briefly from time to time, although this can be hard to do if you need to drive the car around to reproduce the problem.

In one of my other cars, I noticed lost connection also happened simply because my transmitter batteries were low.

Lastly, see if the cables plugging into the receiver, or your motor connections have wiggled loose!

If you can confirm it to be brownout, then the easiest thing to do is to just add an external BEC which should only cost a few dollars. From your description it still sounds most like a calibration + throttle trim issue, but there isn't really any reason why the ESC should spontaneously lose calibration if you haven't been changing your radio equipment around.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Ok, I dont seem to see it browning. I'm wondering if its a battery issue? Im running a small 7.2v 1100mah battery for setup. I tried a 8.4v. 3000mah and it seemed to be too much? The 7.2v is for a mini, would that be an issue giving it sputtering action?
Old 03-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

The Hobbywing 35A-SL should be able to handle 2S LiPo fine, and I have run the same ESC on 7.2V NiMH as well.

What you may want to check is if low-voltage protection has been enabled. A fully-charged NiMH could go up to 9.0V, at which point the ESC might think you have connected an over-discharged 3S LiPo.

Give that a try and see if your problem goes away.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Need a little more info. What radio are you running? Using lipo or NIMH? The default cutoff is off by default. Your radio may need to be reversed on the throttle side. I know on my Futaba 4pks i have to reverse throttle for it to pair correctly with my Tekin RX8. That may be the case here. Would explain why it runs in reverse when you turn it on. It's just not paired correctly.

Also, you may want to post in the thread below. Looks pretty active for hobbywing products.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-off-road.html

Last edited by timannnn6; 03-30-2013 at 09:41 PM.