Radio + Servo recomendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radio + Servo recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Radio + Servo recomendations, help wanted - Brown Out issues...

Hi RC Nuts

I'm one of those racing Spektrum gear (DX3S version, 2xSR3300T and 1xSR300) and Savöx servos (SC1251MG)... In search of figuring out why I during a race suddenly loose control for like 1/4 sec, I have found that many others using the same setup has the same issues Seems like it's worst with the SR3300T's but the SR300 suffers a little also, but a little is too much.

Anyway, I'm in store for a new solution - but:

1) Should I "just" ditch my servos and go for some Hitec, Sanwa or Futaba stuff?
2) Should I ditch it all and go for a clean futaba or sanwa setup
3) Should I keep the Servo's and go for another radio system?

I have experienced the same issues with _all_ af my different ESC's, the list is here:

Ezrun 25A
Ezrun 60A
HW Extreme Stock
Ko ProPo VFS-1 / Hara Twister 2.2 / Tamiya Volac MS
LRP SXX TC Spec
And I could probably add som more...

Best regards
Henrik

Last edited by henrikw; 03-21-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention my RX's... :)
Old 03-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Tech Adept

Well known issue with savox/spektrum.
Add a capacitor to a free channel on the receiver.
Savox servos are power hungry, so also check if your steering is 100% free

Something like this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...voltage%20prot
Old 03-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

I had a similar problem, get a spektrum voltage protector it plugs straight into an open port on your receiver, also tune your transmitter a lot of people don't bother to do this but it makes a big difference-
Travel,Expo, you got to make sure your end points aren't off cause it could make the servo draw to many volts and cause the receiver to glitch
Old 03-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

Ditch the Savox and there's a 99% chance your problems will go away.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:10 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Problem isn't the servos, it's Spektrum, everyone here is saying ditch the Savox

I say ditch the Spektrum and I'd also recommend avoiding Futaba (based on personal experience)
Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nexxus
Problem isn't the servos, it's Spektrum, everyone here is saying ditch the Savox

I say ditch the Spektrum and I'd also recommend avoiding Futaba (based on personal experience)
You don't have to ditch the savox or the spektrum, both the servo and the radio set up are involved, like I said a spek. voltage protector and TUNE! your transmitter and you'll be fine
Old 03-21-2013, 08:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

A Voltage cap is a bandaid solution, it's going to mask it but not solve it.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nexxus
A Voltage cap is a bandaid solution, it's going to mask it but not solve it.
I know it helps by giving the needed voltage when it's dropping, but like I said tuning the transmitter will FIX the problem
Old 03-22-2013, 05:42 AM
Tech Adept

Savox are good quality/price, delivering good speed and torque, but aren't very efficient, they are power hungry it's a fact.

Skepktrum and almost every 2.4ghz receiver are working internally at ~3.3volts, and are prone to brownouts/reset if BEC doesnt hold his voltage, nexxus is right, a capacitor will work as a buffer, unloading the "weak" BEC and working more flawlessly

Variable value causing brownout is the quality/efficiency of the receiver internal regulator, Savox/Spektrum aren't the problem, the real solution is using an adequate BEC to feed them
Old 03-22-2013, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

haha Do people read the post or do they just read what they want to read, I'm running a Spektrum transmitter/receiver combo and can use my savox1258tg or my spektrum s6040 w/out any glitching, was it glitching before? yes, is it glitching now? no, why? because I got my transmitter TUNED!!!
Yes the cap. is a buffer but the tuning of the transmitter is a FIX
Old 03-22-2013, 08:16 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up You 1 and only fix..

Originally Posted by henrikw
Hi RC Nuts

I'm one of those racing Spektrum gear (DX3S version, 2xSR3300T and 1xSR300) and Savöx servos (SC1251MG)... In search of figuring out why I during a race suddenly loose control for like 1/4 sec, I have found that many others using the same setup has the same issues Seems like it's worst with the SR3300T's but the SR300 suffers a little also, but a little is too much.

Anyway, I'm in store for a new solution - but:

1) Should I "just" ditch my servos and go for some Hitec, Sanwa or Futaba stuff?
2) Should I ditch it all and go for a clean futaba or sanwa setup
3) Should I keep the Servo's and go for another radio system?

I have experienced the same issues with _all_ af my different ESC's, the list is here:

Ezrun 25A
Ezrun 60A
HW Extreme Stock
Ko ProPo VFS-1 / Hara Twister 2.2 / Tamiya Volac MS
LRP SXX TC Spec
And I could probably add som more...

Best regards
Henrik
This isssue is caused by your ESC bec going below 4 volts that will happen with the esc's you have listed..

Go but a castle bec 12 amp will be fine .. hook it up to ur computer and set the voltage for 6 volts....remove center wire from rx plug from esc... all your issues will BE GONE... The servos you have listed draw way to much current (power) from ur said ESC causing all this.. I NEVER RUN A ESC's bec anymore no matter what the specs are.. I always run a UBEC.. and never have issues like u have listed..BY BY Brownouts with a Ubec..this will be the best $25 u'll spend
Attached Thumbnails Radio + Servo recomendations-ubec.jpg  
Old 03-22-2013, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

I'd rather try the 6$ w/ transmitter tuning first, even though a ubec will as well get rid of your problems why have overkill if you don't need it
Old 03-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Tech Adept

Hey keep cool

Adjusting endpoints is common sense!
Old 03-22-2013, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

I'm cool I'm just trying to help the guy out before he ditches a good setup haha, and it is common sense but some people buy upgraded transmitters and just bind and go some don't bother to read the manual and some don't know exactly how travel/endpoints work at first just like I didn't know but I learned now I'm trying to pass it on cause my system is running great now
Old 03-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi guys

Thanks for all the great feedback

I can honestly say that I don't think that my endpoint settings has anything to do with it in my situation. I normally only race M06 and F103 chassis, and I have the steering rate turned down to around 60% - but I'll give the endpoint tuning a go and see if it somehow gives me something.
But, in my perspective, that would only work until the servo meets some serious action and feels the traction.
I have a "huge" glitch cap on the way, will try that too.

Regarding the ubec, I feel confident that this would probably solve any power related issues but I feel that it's way overkill.

But in the back of my mind, I think I'm going for a full sanwa setup when I feel the money is there.

I'll be sure the let you know if the tuning and trimming of endpoints and glitch cap gives me anything.

All in all I realize that the Spektrum+Savöx cocktail is a bad combo, but that the gear probably would work fine with other servos and radios.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.