Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree11Likes

Tekin RS Gen 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Odin, I dont know what to say. You think toting a laptop around is normal. I was doing this for a while, but in all honesty. if you could replace the laptop with a $20 box that did everything you needed, would you? I have read thousands of pages on all kinda of esc's. I have owned most of the popular ones. There are 4 issues I have seen pop up enough with the tekins that give me pause.

1- Simplify of use
2- The BEC's fry. (I know, you never fried one, but lots of people have)
3- The power wires space the buttons on the top and cause the esc to go into reboot. ( I know tie up your wires and not an issue)
4- weak switch (I think it fails open so does not cause a DNF)

I would have required a long press to put the esc into program mode. Todays switches seem pretty bad. I am a fan of the button press that LRP, Viper and The HW v3's use. Again, you want a button press and hold. Even traxxas does this. Seems like everyone eas having bec issues. LRP was one of the worst and seemed to have fixed it. Castle still does not care I guess. Funny since they make the best external bec. Tekins are not actually that bad. Probably not a huge issue over all. But still one I see pop up often enough. I already talked to simplicity.

The flow came out and I was honestly very disappointed. The fixed a few things, but still left out simplicity of use. They are part of the reason, that I really hope Tekin bring us to the next level. The Chinese are starting to really take over in racing. most racers are on a tight budget and being able to get cool gadget for a good price is very alluring. Hobbywing is currently the best of that crowed. I just dont understand why the old school companies dont get it. LRP doesn't, Novak is completely hopeless, orion is just a hobbywing was with a new label. I guess I see it as a race between the Chinese and the rest of the world and the world is losing. makes me sad faced. Heck the US owes China so much money, that I should probably learn Chinese so I can function in the United States Of China. lol
Old 03-19-2013, 09:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Guys, let's keep it on topic, RS Gen 2.

Once a Tekin esc is running 223 software there are no "blinking" lights chase down. The led tree is a "more or less" depending on how many led's are lit, no counting of flashes etc.

A large goal for the 2nd generation esc's was a "pull it out of the box, set a few settings(lvc), radio calibrate...and go have fun."
But oyu limit the number of steps and remove the granularity. Most of the current esc's can be tuned from 1 to 45 degrees of timing in 1 deg increments. I think the tekin has 7 legs for the steps, maybe 9 I forget. So if I want to set my punch at 80%, change the throttle curve to non linear, change my rpm cutoff on boost to 12.5 rpm. how many lights is that. Like I said, you need a cheat sheet to look at. Users really should not need a cheat sheet. The technology exists, lets use it.

BTW, I am a software developer and tester. So when I look at these esc's I cant help but look at the technology, the easy of use, the portability and what my competitors are doing.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

^^^^^^ I never had any of those problems maybe u need too learn how to solder & mount your switch better. The only thing I would like is a seperate wire on the esc too tune and not have too unplug the wire from the receiver every time
Old 03-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by arnie84
^^^^^^ I never had any of those problems maybe u need too learn how to solder & mount your switch better
Who said I have problems? I almost never have issues that I didnt deserve. I avoid savox and spekrum to help keep it that way. I will probably never blow a bec. Not a castle, not a LRP. I have had 1 switch go bad in 20+ years and that was a novak gt7. That does not mean it cant be made better. Just because I dont have issues, I should think everything is fine?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Odin544
If by fan boy you mean I use one and actually know how they work and don't post misinformation about them then yes I suppose I am.

If you don't like the way they have chosen to have the ESC adjusted, fine. Thats your opinion. There are a lot more people who have the opposite opinion of you though. I will agree its not a perfect system for everyone. But no esc manufacturer makes a perfect system for everyone. Its impossible to please everyone all the time. About the only thing I would like to see change is to have the hotwire software for Mac. I hate loading it up using VMware. But it is what it is. I wouldn't trade it for a SP esc.
+1, guess I am a fan boy too.. Thats why I have my el cheapo $200 net book, I "lug" the heavy ass 2 pound netbook to the track but hardly ever use it since I hardly ever adjust any of my settings, IMHO the RS is a set one and your set ESC...

Sounds to me like the competition is just trolling for attention since they bought crap esc's and are pissed...

I must be a weirdo too since I have had only one switch go bad (Catsle) and have never "fried" a bec...
Old 03-19-2013, 09:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by thecman26
+1, guess I am a fan boy too.. Thats why I have my el cheapo $200 net book, I "lug" the heavy ass 2 pound netbook to the track but hardly ever use it since I hardly ever adjust any of my settings, IMHO the RS is a set one and your set ESC...

Sounds to me like the competition is just trolling for attention since they bought crap esc's and are pissed...

I must be a weirdo too since I have had only one switch go bad (Catsle) and have never "blown" a bec...
And what bad esc am I all sad about? I have owned a lot of esc's and only one died. I have also owned the RS, but it was not very smooth or tunable and lacked a good UI. I have yet to find anyone with a good argument as to how the tekins are so advanced. They are a decent esc, but not advanced. Perhaps the gen2 will be more advanced, I have seen a couple posts about how they are much smoother now. I could not be happier with my current esc's, I just ordered 2 more. And I can get Tekins for half the price of my current esc's, and yet I dont run them, interesting huh. I must be a very bad troll.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

The bickering stops now, I do not want to close this thread before it even started (esc not even out yet)............ Every esc can or has issues/flaws which is why newer versions/software come out. Now arguing which is better (this company or that) is not the point of this thread, its about the new tekin rs gen2...........
Old 03-19-2013, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I don't own a laptop. That's why it's a pain, for me, to lug around. I can't wait to have finer tuning abilities available, trackside.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
And what bad esc am I all sad about? I have owned a lot of esc's and only one died. I have also owned the RS, but it was not very smooth or tunable and lacked a good UI. I have yet to find anyone with a good argument as to how the tekins are so advanced. They are a decent esc, but not advanced. Perhaps the gen2 will be more advanced, I have seen a couple posts about how they are much smoother now. I could not be happier with my current esc's, I just ordered 2 more. And I can get Tekins for half the price of my current esc's, and yet I dont run them, interesting huh. I must be a very bad troll.
IDK, whatever it was it gave you a reason to try to trash tekin in a tekin thread, or was that not your goal today?

Not a "good ui"? seriously? I am a total noob and figured out the hotwire in about 20 minutes. As far as advanced, they have been the best I have ever used, I have had castle, lrp, novak, HW, BH to name a few... Granted the BH is a close second to Tekin IMHO. So yeah, IMHO they are quite advanced, do you remember the Novaks where you had to watch blinking lights and a button to program? That wasn't too long ago.

Yes, you are, this is a Tekin thread, find something productive to do so we can discuss the new ESC. Which is why this thread is here in the first place. Not for Viper guy to try to "convert" us... Sorry, not today!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by CHIZZLE
I don't own a laptop. That's why it's a pain, for me, to lug around. I can't wait to have finer tuning abilities available, trackside.
I have a tiny netbook, they are pretty cheap too (~$200), no lugging here since it weighs about 2 pounds.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by ilanstylz
The bickering stops now, I do not want to close this thread before it even started (esc not even out yet)............ Every esc can or has issues/flaws which is why newer versions/software come out. Now arguing which is better (this company or that) is not the point of this thread, its about the new tekin rs gen2...........
Thanks!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Tech Prophet

Anyway, I was discussing the next gen tekin. I am "hoping" some of the "issues" are resolved in the next version. I hope it is not just a "white" RS like "white" RX8. The ability to connect to android and IOS would be pretty nice. Tablets are really coming down in price and bringing a lot of power in a portable package. Phone are almost the size of tablets and makes using apps and reading setup sheets much easier.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

People that complain about the Hotwire have never actually learned to use it. Sadly, most people think that the Hotwire is necessary to make changes to the ESC.

I use the Hotwire once, and that's just to set the initial throttle, and initial brake, and my 2 custom profiles. After that, EVERY adjustment is made on the ESC in 30 seconds. People are amazed when I dial in drag brake, or extra power, while I'm waiting to go up on the stand.

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
Anyway, I was discussing the next gen tekin. I am "hoping" some of the "issues" are resolved in the next version. I hope it is not just a "white" RS like "white" RX8. The ability to connect to android and IOS would be pretty nice. Tablets are really coming down in price and bringing a lot of power in a portable package. Phone are almost the size of tablets and makes using apps and reading setup sheets much easier.
What are your issues with the Tekins? The only issue I see is that the stock programming is very "punchy." I think more people would benefit from having more mild punch settings out of the box.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Enough of all this bickering! Now when's the damn esc going to be realeased?
Old 03-20-2013, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Never soon enough! There's only 1 team driver in my neck of the woods, and I don't believe he was running anything new last time we met.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.