Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Converting Futaba Magnum 3PB PCM1024 to 2.4Ghz

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 05:53 PM
Tech Regular

Default Converting Futaba Magnum 3PB PCM1024 to 2.4Ghz

This is mostly to show it works with this particular radio, as it is not expressly noted in the compatibility list.

This was my first serious radio and I used it for 1/12th pan car. It still feels good in my hands today, it is heavy compared to new radios like my 4PL but I like that as it gives me a (maybe false) sense of solidity and durability. Unfortunately, trying to track down spare receivers and crystals is getting hard. Most people today have no clue what FM, PCM or PPM mean.

Luckily it is a module radio and there are several easy options for converting such radios to 2.4Ghz. This particular conversion kit is the FrSky FF-1 2.4Ghz Combo Pack for Futaba and as the link suggests, I got it from HobbyKing. Again, my 3PB isn't listed as being compatible but realistically any PPM capable Futaba module radio should work. I took a chance and now I can confirm it does work.

One well-used Futaba 3PB and the FrSky kit.

Box contents, nothing too complicated...

Installation is basically removing the FM tx module and putting in the FrSky module.

Not sure if this is typical but on mine I found it was easier to slide the end with the connector in first and rotate the rest of the module in before seating it completely.

Screw the antenna in...

Only two things to make sure of before binding.

1. Radio needs to be set to PPM mode.

2. The module I have will work with telemetry receivers but the V8FR-II that came with the kit is not telemetry capable. The dip switch settings on the module need to be configured for this.

And that's it. I'm not going to go through the binding process as it is basically like most others where you power the components on while pressing the bind button. Takes a second or two and good to go.

What is really cool is that receivers are under $20 and all the extra channels (that aren't being controlled) can be used as power outputs for lights, drift gyro, transponder or whatever else.

Although I have bench tested the unit, I have yet to put it in a car. I will install it into something and report back with results.

Sean
Old 02-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

i have mine also just take a look on it ...and it works fine converting this into a spektrum 2.4g base module and rx... using a pro rx a dsm2 rx works fine and range has no prob. at all
Attached Thumbnails Converting Futaba Magnum 3PB PCM1024 to 2.4Ghz-image18731.jpg   Converting Futaba Magnum 3PB PCM1024 to 2.4Ghz-image18737.jpg   Converting Futaba Magnum 3PB PCM1024 to 2.4Ghz-image18740.jpg   Converting Futaba Magnum 3PB PCM1024 to 2.4Ghz-image18736.jpg  
Old 09-07-2015, 12:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks
Will try this on mine!
Old 09-12-2015, 05:25 AM
Tech Regular

wow what a experiment. great to see old legendary stuff still working
Old 03-24-2018, 05:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Default How did it work out?

I'm following the simple instru actions and leds are telling me it's binding but got no communication, ppm set on radio, tx blinking to bind, rx solid red, (connected to radio) no comm to servos
Old 03-31-2018, 05:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Default All sorted

Binding fixed, works great
Old 04-02-2018, 04:52 AM
Tech Master

next would be to make them 50 percent lighter...

my 3pk is to heavy for these old hands.... yes.. it has the spectrum module in it..

I sold both of my 1024's about 10 years ago.. both worked.. and 8 sets of crystals.. 3 receivers.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by chuck_thehammer
next would be to make them 50 percent lighter...

my 3pk is to heavy for these old hands.... yes.. it has the spectrum module in it..

I sold both of my 1024's about 10 years ago.. both worked.. and 8 sets of crystals.. 3 receivers.
I can't bring myself to get rid of old stuff, especially if it still works. I am the stereotypical RC hoarder.

Sean