Wiki Posts
Search

how to clean the steering bearing sanwa M8

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 07:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default how to clean the steering bearing sanwa M8

I put this off for a long time not wanting to break anything. It's an old radio sure but people still use them. I like it a lot. This is fiddly but not particularly difficult.

I also did the 2.4g mod while doing this but there's a good video on that (The M8 is a bit easier than the M11. I removed material from the antenna itself and only dremmeled the inside a little in order to make it fit. Mark where the antenna sits in the 2 metal tangs in the radio and remove enough material so the tangs aren't being pushed out of shape by the antenna plastic and also take most of the taper out of the antenna).

Remove the wheel. You have to push apart one the plastic tangs holding the "Sanwa" cap on to get to the screw. It's fiddly.

http://www.powers-international.com/...-faq/e-q01.htm

Remove the screws from the back (behind the module and one other one on the back, i forget which so maybe undo them all) and remove the allen screws from the front and the 2 phillips screws behind the wheel.

The panel holding the wheel assembly pulls out a little. Don't yank on it just look inside carefully.

You'll see 4 phillips screws holding the wheel assembly in place. Undo these and gently pull out the assembly noting the lovely, neat way the wires are routed.

Now you'll see the bearing and all the accumulated crud making it grindy and nasty. Hold the bearing and push on the square wheel mount to press it out.

I soaked the bearing in contact cleaner and then used bearing oil.

You can clean the rest nicely with contact cleaner and an ear bud.
Get someone to hold up the bit of plastic that holds the wheel in place so you can clean under it. Then get a dollop of grease in there for a super-smooth action.

Put bearing back and re-assemble. Mine feels like a different radio. There was so much gunk in there it was sticky and really unpleasant. The M8 is a high-quality radio. A bit obsolete but pro