Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Tx for 4wheel steer setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Air Tx for 4wheel steer setup

Hey guys. I have a question. I'm looking for a cheap(er) transmitter that will allow me to mix the front wheel steering channel with the rear wheel channel. Id also like to be able to switch the function off, which doing so will return the rear wheel to the center position and steer only the front wheel. Lastly, id like to be able to control the rear wheel steer channel independently (for rock crawling and such)

so far i have found that the best way to do this, is with a Airplane style radio. using the right stick to control the throttle and normal front wheel steering (or both front and rear if switched to a mixed setting) and the left stick to control the rear, when in independent mode. I was wondering if you guys have any good suggestions for one to buy. the local hobby shop informed me that steering with the stick style controller is not as good as a whhel, but as this is only a project, im not concerned with that. i was looking cheap, as this is for a school engineering class, and we are on a limited budget. Ill post pictures and stuff as we get this thing converted over, and any help is appreciate. Thanks alot!
Old 01-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Im looking at the turnigy 9x. its cheap and i think it will do what i want. any suggestions?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

This is possible with a Futaba 4PL or 4PKS surface radios. Just assign rear steer to the knob and assign a mix to a switch to turn rear steer on/off.

Using Air radios for Surface use is against FCC frequency designation policy. It would also anger any model airplane flyers in the area.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wrongchannel
This is possible with a Futaba 4PL or 4PKS surface radios. Just assign rear steer to the knob and assign a mix to a switch to turn rear steer on/off.

Using Air radios for Surface use is against FCC frequency designation policy. It would also anger any model airplane flyers in the area.
Correct on the Futaba. As far as your other comment goes, 2.4g is 2.4g no matter if it's a surface or air system. That FCC crap is for AM and FM systems which are dinosaurs today. There are people all over using air systems for scalers, crawlers, boats, robots, etc...
Old 01-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Tech Initiate

i do know that if you can keep 7 airplanes in the air at one time, its not gonna matter if i use a air setup for my car. johnny, my other comment didnt get posted yet, but im looking at the turnigy 9x. cheap, simple. and i think it will do what i need. like i said, just a school project so it just have to work. what you think about that radio?
Old 01-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mad_Scientist
i do know that if you can keep 7 airplanes in the air at one time, its not gonna matter if i use a air setup for my car. johnny, my other comment didnt get posted yet, but im looking at the turnigy 9x. cheap, simple. and i think it will do what i need. like i said, just a school project so it just have to work. what you think about that radio?
I've heard that it's a good, reliable system. You can't beat it for the price.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Johnnysplits
I've heard that it's a good, reliable system. You can't beat it for the price.
yeah.. 64 bucks! lol what???? i was just wondering if it could be programed to do what i want. i mean i assume i can jsut plug whatever channel in to whatever servo i choose, but i really need 3 modes

1) high speed same direction as front mixing
2) low speed opposite direction mixing
3) no mixing independent control with left stick.

i would assume that i would use the right stick to control acceleration and turning both, sort of like a joystick on a playstation controller.

although i have to say, a seperate trigger on the bottom would be nice.

and im not sure if there is some way to turn the sensitivity down on that one.

i hate being a begginner at something and not knowing what the hell im talking about haha

Last edited by Mad_Scientist; 01-10-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Tech Regular

FCC regulates the entire frequency spectrum including 2.4 GHZ.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Tech Initiate

ok..and? do you know how many fcc laws you break on a daily basis without even trying. i might not know anything about rc cars, but telling someone they cant use x frequency for y task is like telling them you can only use a ge microwave for baked potatoes.. who gives a rats ass?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

I could care less what you use. You could broadcast over 100w microwave as far as I'm concerned.

The statement was clarified simply because above AM and FM were stated as the only regulated RF bands. Where actually the regulation is of all frequencies including 2.4 GHZ. In fact this could be good to know since the FCC is trying to tighten frequency allotment within 2.4 GHZ.

My microwave is not made by GE.

Sorry for your troubles.