Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Castle Creations or Tekin RX8?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Talking Castle Creations or Tekin RX8?

Alright, I have a Caster Racing USA 1/8th Scale Buggy, the Fusion EX-1. I want to upgrade from the stock Hobbywing motor and ESC. The new Mamba Monster V2 and 2200KV motor setup are calling to me. Originally however I wanted to upgrade to the Tekin RX8 system. I like the capabilities of the sensored setup and it is different from what alot of guys run in the area. The ability to run water proof however is huge as I live in the PNW. We get snow for half the year. I dont like to look at my car and not be able to use it. Does anyone have any other recommendations or a reason why I should pick one over the other?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:55 AM
Tech Champion

I would go for a 150A hobbywing xerun and waterproof it with plastidip

the castle is just too expensive for what it is and the RX8 is more fragile, I owned all of them
Old 01-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Really? Don't get me wrong I am not unhappy with my current Hobbywing ESC but I have heard great things about Castle and Tekin. I want to run 6s as well at some point.

I found a 2200KV Motor and ESC setup from Hobbywing. I am unable to link at this point however. Am I losing top end speed or punch going with this motor setup over Castle or Tekin? In your opinion of course.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Tech Champion

Really, I don't know about a stronger ESC than the Xerun.

I owned 3 castle monster ESC and many tekin RX8. The Xerun is ugly, massive, but the most reliable. You can run it in 6S with no problem. Even the 80A or 120A would be good in 1/8, many drivers use them. The only thing is that they won't accept 6S, only the 150A does.

This said the best motors for the price IMO are the Tekin T8, had about 6 of them and they're just great in every situation.

So all in all I'd go for a xerun ESC and T8 motor.

If it's for racing with ROAR rules -> Xerun SCT 120A + Tekin 1900kv in 4S
If it's for racing with no rules -> Xerun 150A + Tekin 1400kv in 6S
If it's for bashing -> Xerun 150A + Tekin 2250kv in 4S or 1550kv in 6S (which is even better)

The RX8 is THE best ESC for its features but in my case it just didn't hold up, and the castle is just...useless considering it's much more expensive than a Xerun and isn't even able to handle a sensored motor.

A very good alternative is the VTX8 from Viper, but we have NO idea of its reliability in a long term.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:42 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

If you do buy a Castle esc, also buy a 1kg fire extinguisher and keep it handy at all times.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the advice. I think I will give the Hobbywing ESC a try. I will jump back on after I have tested it. Is it pretty easy to program?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JoshMaxAmps
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the advice. I think I will give the Hobbywing ESC a try. I will jump back on after I have tested it. Is it pretty easy to program?
one of the easiest with this programming card

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0voP5jtOsI
Old 01-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_

So all in all I'd go for a xerun ESC and T8 motor.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

After 2 MMPs, I didn't feel like buying a third. CC may make some other products that are very high quality, but IMO, based on my experience, I won't take the gamble.

@Pulse, great to hear about the Hobbywing, just checked their website, looks like some really reasonable ESCs. Might have to try these out sometime!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The 150 amp xerun would be perfect if it had more features. Adjustability isn't the best and i found myself wishing i had more features. Some features i will never probably use, but it's nice to have them if you need them. It's not so much the number of features they give you, but the preciseness that matters most to me. I like to adjust in small increments at a time. Fix that, and i might just choose the xerun over the tekin or the new viper.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hobbywings do not have a dual mode (start in sensored, change to sensorless)

The Castle MMP and Tekin RX8 do

Cheers
Old 01-12-2013, 02:14 AM
Tech Champion

I run a MMP with a bec in my converted DNX408. It's great, but if the fan fails it will get hot fast. It's better to run it with a high voltage setup too (I use 5S and 6S lipos with 1400kv T8 motor).

A VERY good choice is the Xerun 120A SCT if you have to use 4S. It's smoother, lighter, smaller and even cheaper than the 150A. Ok for the features, it's not a RX8 but you have to consider it's at least twice less expensive too.

At first I thought the more the speedo is rated high in amperage the better it is.. Well I prefered the power delivery of ESC rated for a lower amperage. The SCT is 120A, the MMP is about 100A, and some drivers even use the Xerun 80A. IMO 150 or 200A is NOT needed. Do the comparison, you'll see a MMP or a Xerun 120A is MUCH smoother than a RX8.

To give you a comparison I have as much punch from my system with a 1400kv 5S and RX8 speedo with 7 degrees of timing than a MMP in 6S 1400kv. But I get more speed and cooler temps with the 1400 6S of course. The MMP in 1400kv 6S is just awesome with an external CC bec. So smooth, and I can get 20 minutes of runtime from a 3300mah in racing. IMO brands are going wrong just going for more and more amps, they should concentrate on the way the ESC delivers the power. Smooth is fast.

Last edited by Pulse_; 01-12-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (97%+)
Default Welcome...

Again body from Spokane... Asking my questions.
I'm currently working on converting a Z01T to brushless and trying to get my electronics sorted out. I'm very open to ideas. I'm basically a newbie, I'm expanding from my various Traxxas projects. Thanks...