R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   Electronics for Tamiya xv 01 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/686813-electronics-tamiya-xv-01-a.html)

highbeam 12-14-2012 10:32 PM

Electronics for Tamiya xv 01

Hi,

I am a novice in RC cars, 2 weeks ago I did not know the difference between brushed vs brushless motors! I recently purchased the Tamiya xv 01 pro kit.

I have done a lot research for electronics for this chassis but i am not sure whether they will go together and this is where I need help.

These are what I am considering getting:

ESC: Hobbywing xerun V3
Motor: Hobbywing Xerun Sensored brushless motor 8.5T 4000kv
Servo: Savox SB-2272MG Lightning Speed Brushless Metal Gear Digital Servo-savsb2272mg OR Savox SB-2271SG Monster Torque Brushless Steel Gear Digital Servo-savsb2271sg
Radio: FlySky GT3B transmitter
Radio receiver: undecided
Battery: undecided

I will appreciate any opinions/guidance.

Thanking you,

HighBeam

MarkA 12-15-2012 11:35 AM

Your ESC and motor will be fine choices to get started with but your servo may require an external power capacitor in your receiver due to the tendency of Savox servos to cause brownouts. Not a reason to avoid it but just something to be aware of. The radio is a toss-up. If you are ever going to have an inkling that you might want to race, anything Flysky is going to come up short because of it's lag (read this thread for more: http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...3b-vs-4pl.html ) but if you want something very cheap to get your feet wet, it'll do.

valk 12-15-2012 12:11 PM

that servo is rediculous for a 10th scale car. id go with a 1257/58 or even the 1251 as thats a very popular choice for touring cars.

they also have lower models without metal gears in the $40 range but for the $65 a 125x will cost i wouldnt bother with cheaper.

your motor/esc is just fine. any 10th scale electrics will drop right into the chassis, just a question of what batteries will fit in the battery box. if its anything lke any other tamiya ive seen they still optimize for stick packs, so i wouldnt get anything higher than 4000mah lipo. the turnigy soft case ones seemed to fit pretty well.

I personally wouldnt even trust any of my gear to a flysky or bargain radio..
if you can spring the extra cash, amainhobbies.com is selling spectrum dx3s right now for $169 with two rx i think? REALLY good deal for a starter radio.

a xerun v3 is probably a little overkill for non race cars. im sure their 80 amp xtreme stock or similar units would work great for the car. save yourself $100.

highbeam 12-16-2012 01:36 AM

Thanks guys, I have ordered spectrum dx3s from amainhobbies.com

In regards to ESC/motor, what are other alternatives to Hobbywing xerun? I dont mind paying a little extra for quality. I believe 540 motor is recommended for Tamiya xv01.

Also, what do you think of the battery?
  • ESC: Hobbywing xerun V3 (undecided)
  • Motor: Hobbywing Xerun Sensored brushless motor 8.5T 4000kv (undecided)
  • Servo: Savox SC-1258TG Super Speed Titanium Gear Digital Servo-savsc1258tg (finalised)
  • Radio and receiver: spectrum dx3s (finalised)
  • Battery: Turnigy 5000mAh 2S 40C Lipo Pack (unconfirmed)

Thanking You,

Abhi

valk 12-16-2012 03:43 PM

hobbywing xtreme stock and hobbywing 8.5 is just fine.

there is also the turnigy trackstar system which seems to be gaining popularity in the cheaper segment.

really depends what your going to do with the car. its not somthing you will race so investing top dollar into a racing system is kind of a waste, even to have "nice" equipment.
I would try to get a sealed system if its for offroad use. the extreme stock with an older tekin redline would be pretty good. lots of power and the motor can is completely sealed from dirt and crap.

the xtreme stock has boost software on it so you can get more performance.

I run a tekin rs and Trinity D3 7.5 in my modified touring car, its pretty damn fast. so how fast is fast enough for you? anything more than 8.5 you will definitely run into traction issues and just masscre your tires lol.

hobbywing kits are always on sale for a good price. id recommend them without reservation for a basher. probably what im gonna dump into my rally car.
I ran a 13.5 boosted setup with my rally and was able to keep up to any buggy out on the offroad track np ;)

if you have the car kit in hand, id grab a hard ruler and measure the battery case to pick your battery. you will obviously want a 2s lipo, maybe 3s if you want loony speed. depends what you wanna spend again. lots of people will tell you thunderpower/revtech ect but for non race use, hell even for race use, turnigy packs are truly excellent.

also gens ace, zippy lipo ect ect. just invest in a lipo charger. you didnt mention that in your parts roster. if you get gens ace, you could get the gens mars charger with them. great charger for not much money.

highbeam 12-17-2012 02:46 PM

Hi,

I do not want crazy speed, however, I do want to buy electronics that will give me the speed when I am ready for it in few months time. I mean, it would be fantastic to buy ESC/motor that I can dial the power down, and when I am ready, I can enable the full power and have fun on race track. For that purpose, do the Hobbywing XTreme Stock and motor able to do this?

The Hobbywing Xtreme stock also has boost, how do I use that boost? Is it a button on the ESC that I have to press or something in the radio controller that I have to press to get the boost. Also, can that boost damage the motor 8.5T motor?

In regards to the battery, I beleive the Turnigy 5000mAh 2S 40C Lipo Pack will fit however, I am not going to buy it now till I get the kit and I do some measurements. I am not sure about battery charger at all. Is the Sky RC Charger 6200 any good? Will it charge Turnigy 5000mAh without damaging it?

I have modified my parts list below.

ESC: Hobbywing Xtreme Stock (undecided)
Motor: Hobbywing Xerun 1/10 Competition Sensored brushless motor 8.5T 4000kv (undecided)
Servo: Savox SC-1258TG Super Speed Titanium Gear Digital Servo-savsc1258tg (finalised)
Radio and receiver: spectrum dx3s (finalised)
Battery: Turnigy 5000mAh 2S 40C Lipo Pack (unconfirmed)
Battery charger: Sky RC Charger 6200 200W (undecided)

Thanking You,

Abhi

highbeam 12-22-2012 03:26 PM

Hi,

I did some more research and have come up with below:
  • ESC: Hobbywing Xtreme Stock OR Hobbywing Justock. I want to go with Xtreme stock because of good reviews and it has boost timings. However, I am worried that boost timing may damage the motor if I am not careful. Can the boost timings be tuned down? I read the manual and not sure what the settings should be to tune it down. Can you guys let me know of settings i should put in the ESC please. Also, do i need to modify my pinion gears to support boost timings?
  • Motor: Murfdogg 13.5T Synergy 1.1 sensored motor
  • Battery: Turnigy 5000mAh 2S 40C Lipo Pack
  • Battery charger: Sky RC Charger 6200 200W

Already bought:
  • Servo: Savox SC-1258TG Super Speed Titanium Gear Digital Servo-savsc1258tg
  • Radio and receiver: spectrum dx3s

valk 12-22-2012 04:36 PM

boost timing wont hurt your motor if you gear it right. comes down to practice time with the car and temping it every so often to see if its healthy.
do a little racing and this becomes part of your program anyway.

id just get a turnigy trackstar or hobbywing motor in the 7.5-10.5 range for a rally car personally. my old d3 7.5 is reserved for that purpose after a race in january.
i dont know how much murfdogs cost, but seems pointless to get a mod race motor for a rally car.

id probably get a nice charger like a thunder power 610c or maybe one of the hitec ones. 200 watts is way more than you need to charge 2s lipo.

highbeam 12-23-2012 03:31 AM

Thank you Valk and others for your help. I have generally followed your advices. With Murfdogg, I asked Matt from Murfdogg for advice and he was very helpful. His customer service has me sold.

In terms of TP610C, it mentions A123 batteries. What are A123 batteries? Do I have to buy A123 batteries only? Does TP610C work on AC 240volt that we have in Australia.

Also, what do you mean by "gear it right"? I have read people talk about pinion gears and I skipped past those conversation as I didn't think I would be making any mods to gearings. For Tamiya XV 01, it states it has 68T spur and 22T pinion gears. Do i need to change that? I am happy to do some reading if you can give me links about gearing etc

Also, am I able to reduce boost on the Hobbywing Xtreme stock and how?

btw, my pro kit arrived few days ago. Very eager to start building it!

Thanking you.

valk 12-23-2012 11:53 AM

the tp610 DC doesnt care what you connect to as its dc only. the ac model might require a different transformer, but i imagine if you buy it in your own market, it will come with the required transformer for 240volt operation. its a little bit of money for the thunderpower but they are really good chargers. im seriously considering dropping the $275 for the dual port one next year.
a123 is a brand of lifepo4 batteries "life" that people talk about. you might get one for a transmitter battery, if the spectrum supports lipos. not sure on that one.
the charger does lead acid, nicd, nimh, lipo, life so it really charges anything.

as for gear it right, you just need to find the right gear ratio "pinion to spur" to fit your motor turn, and the conditions your driving in. offroad use will generally prefer a taller gear ratio, bigger spur and smaller pinion, where strickly onroad use could use a larger pinion and slightly smaller spur.

every motor has a recommended gear ratio and going back to your murfdogg support agent for recommendation woudl be ideal. the car has an internal gear ratio going from the belt/input gears on the xv01 which is fixed, and the adjustable gear ratio is your pinion and spur.

a lower turn count motor will typically require a smaller pinion and a larger spur. though with my df03 i realize you can be quite limited in options for tamiya gear ratios.
just look through your manual for the internal ratio of the car, figure out what ratio the motor you want to run wants and calculate the pinion/spur combo needed to reach that ratio.

im running 7:1 with my 7.5t boost setup on my df03 buggy. i might drop that down a little bit when i get the RA conversion parts and run smaller wheels/tires.

to get this kind of info, id probably ask in the scale stage rally thread over in electric offroad, or on the ultimatetamiya forums.

highbeam 12-23-2012 07:56 PM

Thanks Valk.

I have ordered the TP610C and Hobbywing Xtreme Stock.