Wiki Posts
Search

Viper 1/8 VTX8 ESC

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 11:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by red100076
I sent my Viper Vtx-8 esc into Vipers tech department to have it looked after having to push start my truck. This is what they found
"Gate driver damaged by high voltage spikes"
So does this mean my motor is shot also? What else could cause this type of damage?
If you had been running your motor/speed control combination for any length of time then most likely an amp spike caused by the motor or motor sensor is the primary cause for an esc failure. If it was the gate driver fet that was damaged that mostly replaced to the motor sensor -- might want to have it check or replaced by the motor mfg. These amp spikes can also occur due to large joints (crashes, tumbles, etc). So its not always a definition that the motor has an issue, but something caused it spike that high
Old 04-26-2015, 05:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Well here's a update....

I thought that I was good to go after lowering the voltage cut off. No go. Too much to sit here and. Type right now, but basically would get some short running, then would cut out completely. Lots of glitching as well. Is the best thing to do to send it in to be looked at?
Old 04-26-2015, 05:41 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lladnar
Well here's a update....

I thought that I was good to go after lowering the voltage cut off. No go. Too much to sit here and. Type right now, but basically would get some short running, then would cut out completely. Lots of glitching as well. Is the best thing to do to send it in to be looked at?
Can you post your full electronics setup?

Also, please post all the cutoff settings you are using on the ESC.

Did you try recalibrating the radio to the ESC?
Old 04-26-2015, 07:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Are they going to warranty it?
No. Unfortunately I bought it used as a package deal with a hobbywing 3656sd motor, no warranty.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:29 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nikos2002
If you had been running your motor/speed control combination for any length of time then most likely an amp spike caused by the motor or motor sensor is the primary cause for an esc failure. If it was the gate driver fet that was damaged that mostly replaced to the motor sensor -- might want to have it check or replaced by the motor mfg. These amp spikes can also occur due to large joints (crashes, tumbles, etc). So its not always a definition that the motor has an issue, but something caused it spike that high
I'm working on trying to find a way to have my motor checked out. It sounds like even if my motor is good that this still may just happen. That does not sit right with me, I like clear cut cause and effect, so I can prevent having the same problem in the future. I'm not a racer and do not intend to push my electronics to the limit as I'm just out to have fun in the limited amount of time I have at the track. I don't want to worry if I crashing while trying to get the timing down on a double then triple is going to cause a voltage spike and cause a melt down. So for the questions.

How do I prevent voltage spikes?
Would I be better of buying a top of the line motor like a Tekin, or a basher setup from Castle Creations?
Is there a way to protect the esc from voltage spikes? or is there a speed control on the market that senses electrical problems and shuts down before it melts down?
Is there a motor analyzer or some thing that can test a motor and let me know if its starting to fail?

I know too many question's, just seems like the guys that race would have this down as I can't imagine racers blowing up a ESC just to pop another in and have it happen again.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:22 PM
Tech Champion

Well here's a update....

Double check that lipo cut off - verify it was saved at the number you want (2s=6.4, 4s=12.8 as example).

When it stops (I assume it stops) - are the lights on the VPort (switch) flashing in any format == those would be error codes to explain why it stopped?

"Glitching" is a difficult definition. If your system had a glitch - it would be because of an issue with the transmitter and receiver.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:37 PM
Tech Champion

red100076- lets see if we can answer these questions...sorry if some answers are too long:

- How to control voltage spikes? A spike can come from a lot of different reasons. Including crashes, hard landings, speed control settings, motor operation (and efficiency). When you crash or flip up side down - is your reaction to pull the throttle? Not good for the electronics, it might help you sometimes, but it can effect electronics. On the speed control side (with our speed control) you can lower the Punch settings, set Throttle Freq correctly (12000 to 16000), don't use boost or timing. You can even lower the Forward power or EPA on radio to reduce overall power slightly, which will reduce the possible spike.

- What to buy? Only person that can answer that is you... depends on your plans, your goals, and your budget. I can't speak for other companies, but I am pretty sure most will not make a product with thought that it might not work. Some will provide better performance, some might be better cost === that's more up to your decision.

- Out VTX speed controls do have a software designed into the system to help protect against amp spikes that can effect a speed control. The a64 software program has that in the system. If you ever see the F and R light alternating -- that is the error code that says the speedo detected a high amp spike. But if the spike is high enough it can damage the unit regardless.

- G Force sells a motor analyzer that lets you test motor, sensor and bearings. It will not say "hey this motor is bad", but if amp draw is too high, its a clue. If a sensor is bad, you will see one of the three phases not working. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0tSUh5-1Jo

Nobody ever wants to have a speed control problem. Can it happen, I would lie if I said no, does it happen a lot? 4 pole motors can be harder on speed controls, so it depends. Majority of the time, there are no issue. But keep in mind the harder you are on your equipment, the more the chance. We take 7-8 pound vehicles, drive them at 20-30 mph, jump them off 3-4 foot high jumps and slam them to the ground -- repeatedly for 6 to 10 minutes. There is always a chance.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nikos2002
red100076- lets see if we can answer these questions...sorry if some answers are too long:

- How to control voltage spikes? A spike can come from a lot of different reasons. Including crashes, hard landings, speed control settings, motor operation (and efficiency). When you crash or flip up side down - is your reaction to pull the throttle? Not good for the electronics, it might help you sometimes, but it can effect electronics. On the speed control side (with our speed control) you can lower the Punch settings, set Throttle Freq correctly (12000 to 16000), don't use boost or timing. You can even lower the Forward power or EPA on radio to reduce overall power slightly, which will reduce the possible spike.

- What to buy? Only person that can answer that is you... depends on your plans, your goals, and your budget. I can't speak for other companies, but I am pretty sure most will not make a product with thought that it might not work. Some will provide better performance, some might be better cost === that's more up to your decision.

- Out VTX speed controls do have a software designed into the system to help protect against amp spikes that can effect a speed control. The a64 software program has that in the system. If you ever see the F and R light alternating -- that is the error code that says the speedo detected a high amp spike. But if the spike is high enough it can damage the unit regardless.

- G Force sells a motor analyzer that lets you test motor, sensor and bearings. It will not say "hey this motor is bad", but if amp draw is too high, its a clue. If a sensor is bad, you will see one of the three phases not working. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0tSUh5-1Jo

Nobody ever wants to have a speed control problem. Can it happen, I would lie if I said no, does it happen a lot? 4 pole motors can be harder on speed controls, so it depends. Majority of the time, there are no issue. But keep in mind the harder you are on your equipment, the more the chance. We take 7-8 pound vehicles, drive them at 20-30 mph, jump them off 3-4 foot high jumps and slam them to the ground -- repeatedly for 6 to 10 minutes. There is always a chance.
Great information, I will give the updated setting a shot. On the g-force motor analyzer, can it test the inductance of each pole of the motor individually?

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:45 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by red100076
Great information, I will give the updated setting a shot. On the g-force motor analyzer, can it test the inductance of each pole of the motor individually?

Thanks.
No, its not designed to do that...
Old 05-02-2015, 08:02 PM
Tech Adept

Cain thanks for the effort bud, but I had taken it out by the time that I read that. Switched to HW SCT ESC, and everything is perfect. I went through and set all of the settings on the Viper, and no go. It kept switching itself back to whatever mode it felt like. Really appreciate your help though.

Nikos (Nick?)...Now granted, they were both used, but I'm 2 for 2 on Vipers crapping out. Other than none, what are my options with this one? This model you guys can at least diagnose right? Any chance of a repair?
Old 05-03-2015, 11:36 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

be curious what on the waterproof ESCs can be repaired due to how the expoxy is.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:29 PM
Tech Adept

Cain thanks for the effort bud, but I had taken it out by the time that I read that. Switched to HW SCT ESC, and everything is perfect. I went through and set all of the settings on the Viper, and no go. It kept switching itself back to whatever mode it felt like. Really appreciate your help though.

Nikos (Nick?)...Now granted, they were both used, but I'm 2 for 2 on Vipers crapping out. Other than none, what are my options with this one? This model you guys can at least diagnose right? Any chance of a repair?
Nikos do I have any options here?
Old 05-11-2015, 07:15 AM
Tech Champion

Nikos do I have any options here?
.they were bought used - we do have a trade in program (http://hadrma.com/service/trade-in-program/) that can help you get a brand new unit at a discounted price.

Something extremely odd is going on. What you are describing is the same as turning on your computer - opening Word and after a few minutes of using Word, Xcel opens up by itself. The processor is not designed to "change" profiles, unless its told via the program card or done through the manual process.

We have seen the second part done by accident. Someone who is not used to the 10-15 seconds it takes for the unit to finish its power up. Keeps pushing the VPort button during the start up process -- which is right when you can adjust the profiles if you don't use a program card. It still takes the same 10-15 seconds to start up -- just now its also changing profiles
Old 05-12-2015, 06:52 PM
Tech Adept

I appreciate it, but we literally switched everything (the profile), put it on the track, ran for a couple of minutes, then nothing. Just quit responding. It has been awhile now, so I don't remember the exact details, but that happened a couple of times. Even though it's second hand, are you guys not able to trouble shoot that model? I don't remember where, but I read somewhere about someone else having these exact same issues.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:46 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I've been on this thread a LONG time and I don't remember hearing anyone mention the problems you have run into. Switching profiles?? You should try these things again and see exactly how they are failing. Or don't they work at all at this point?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.