Search

SPEKTRUM DX4S (NEW)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default SPEKTRUM DX4S (NEW)

The new DX4S.
The DX4S includes pre-set mixes like 4-wheel steering, two user-defined mixes, on-the-fly mix rate control, ABS and more.
At the core of the DX4S is the frequency-agile, DSMR™ 2.4GHz protocol. DSMR is exclusive Spektrum™ technology that can be used with any type of RC surface vehicle, including boats. Its range and response, particularly in noisy 2.4GHz environments, is superb. Its also backwards compatible with DSM, DSM2 and Marine-specific Spektrum receivers. Longtime Spektrum users wont need to replace the receivers they have unless they want the frequency-agility of a DSMR receiver for busy 2.4GHz environments.

* The typical telemetry range is 100-200 feet and will vary depending on the operating environment.

Product Specifications
# of Channels: 4
Modulation: DSMRBand:2.4GHz
Weight: 17 oz (482 g)
Frame Rate: 11 or 22ms (with DSMR receiver
Receiver: SR410
Model Memory: 30Modes:Expert and Standard
Old 11-22-2012, 06:50 AM
Tech Master

Don't like the looks of it, looks even more toy-ish than before. Hopefully the DX4R will look the business
Old 11-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Tech Regular

looks kinda cheap and toy like, although it seems the way a lot of radios look these days. i guess the more important thing is how it performs.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Looks like the futaba 4pl has no real competition still.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yeah I'm on the fence about spektrum radios. they look and feel cheap. the plastic housing fit together really sloppy too.

I sure miss JR radios.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21
Looks like the futaba 4pl has no real competition still.
Switched from a DX2S to a 4PL and haven't looked back a day since.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I like the gray look better.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Tech Regular

I had this one in my hands today, because a friend of mine purchased it.
It feels fine when the batteries are in it and it comes with 2 extra grips.
Programming is the same, but it has some nice features the 3r doesnt. There are steering mix, 4WS mix, brake mix already in it, and 1 extra customizable mix.
Any of the buttons can be reassigned (it looked confusing in the manual but would need to run threw it before I would say anything bad) to any of the functions. My understanding is ( not sure 100%) this radio is a frequency hopper with the new receiver.

Overall, it is nice and easy to use.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm torn, fell out of love with the Spektrum gear, some of it feels ok, but the ever drop in build quality of plastics etc seem to keep them feeling cheap now, the R-Pro feels cheaper than the R it replaced, I have seen some of the range looks crazy cheaply built now.

Kind of wondered when/if Spektrum would shift to FHSS, even if they don't seem to be calling it that, while all brands seem to get some issues, Spektrums DSM does seem to get a larger brunt of them.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Just picked one up (Happy birthday to me!) because the steering spring in my DX3C popped out, I'm racing tomorrow and I'm a total gear slut.

It feels about the same as any other Spektrum product I've used for the past few years. that is to say it seems to feel lighter than it should. I wouldn't say cheap, just light. For my hands, the ergonomics are a little wonky on the scroll wheel. The rubber grips for the 3C feel better, so they're going on, if they'll fit. My first Spektrum was a DX2.0. I do have to say that felt more rugged than this. May have just been the bulkiness, though.

It's got some very nice programming features. I've never played with servo speed before, but when I was playing with my trail truck, I turned the steering down to 5% and it suddenly steered like a real truck would, as opposed to the instant left-right-left one gets with fast servos. The wheels just crept back and forth like there was a tiny dude on there cranking the steering wheel through 4 full rotations. I'm not sure about the ABS feature yet. I'll have to see how that works when I go racing. Probably won't use it as my ESC has enough of that crap to go around.

Visually, I like the black. The chromed switches and trigger are pure cheese. If they were a nicer casting, they could have gotten away with it. The backlight is a very welcome addition to the S line. I kind of like the shark fin antenna, but I know it could have been completely internalized, had they wanted to do so. I notice they've ditched the adjustable steering tension. Maybe that was the source of the springs snapping?

As for whether it feels better or worse than Futaba...meh. I've never really thought Futaba felt particularly better than Spektrum, especially when comparing radios at the same price point. Futaba does a few things better and Spektrum does a few things better. I'd considered Futaba for what I think are better ergonomics, but then I'd have to buy a whole whack of new receivers. It's kind of like iPhone vs Android (without Apple's heinous profit margin): Once you're invested in the culture and ecosystem of one, switching is a huge pain in the @$$.

Oh, I actually considered saving myself a few hundred bucks and buying Spektrum's cheapest 2 channel POS, because I know I'm not that great of a driver anyhow, but I sure do like all the bells and whistles. Bling!

Jim
Old 12-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

on a side note, telemetry on spektrum radios is pretty lame. i run a 1/8 truggy and when i hit the far end of the track i loose connection every time, not to mention when im out bashing in a field....
Old 12-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (82%+)

i am having same thing happend to me with my sanwan mt4
Old 12-26-2012, 05:42 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I've been running an 850mah lipo I salvaged from a helicopter for a the past week. I've got about 2 hours on it and the pack is still over 7.5v. (It was sitting at ~7.7 when I installed it.) This radio is pretty good on batteries!

Last edited by monkeyracing; 12-26-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Just picked one up (Happy birthday to me!) because the steering spring in my DX3C popped out, I'm racing tomorrow and I'm a total gear slut.

It feels about the same as any other Spektrum product I've used for the past few years. that is to say it seems to feel lighter than it should. I wouldn't say cheap, just light. For my hands, the ergonomics are a little wonky on the scroll wheel. The rubber grips for the 3C feel better, so they're going on, if they'll fit. My first Spektrum was a DX2.0. I do have to say that felt more rugged than this. May have just been the bulkiness, though.

It's got some very nice programming features. I've never played with servo speed before, but when I was playing with my trail truck, I turned the steering down to 5% and it suddenly steered like a real truck would, as opposed to the instant left-right-left one gets with fast servos. The wheels just crept back and forth like there was a tiny dude on there cranking the steering wheel through 4 full rotations. I'm not sure about the ABS feature yet. I'll have to see how that works when I go racing. Probably won't use it as my ESC has enough of that crap to go around.

Visually, I like the black. The chromed switches and trigger are pure cheese. If they were a nicer casting, they could have gotten away with it. The backlight is a very welcome addition to the S line. I kind of like the shark fin antenna, but I know it could have been completely internalized, had they wanted to do so. I notice they've ditched the adjustable steering tension. Maybe that was the source of the springs snapping?

As for whether it feels better or worse than Futaba...meh. I've never really thought Futaba felt particularly better than Spektrum, especially when comparing radios at the same price point. Futaba does a few things better and Spektrum does a few things better. I'd considered Futaba for what I think are better ergonomics, but then I'd have to buy a whole whack of new receivers. It's kind of like iPhone vs Android (without Apple's heinous profit margin): Once you're invested in the culture and ecosystem of one, switching is a huge pain in the @$$.

Oh, I actually considered saving myself a few hundred bucks and buying Spektrum's cheapest 2 channel POS, because I know I'm not that great of a driver anyhow, but I sure do like all the bells and whistles. Bling!

Jim
Glad you like it as I bought one last night....

I still dont understand some of the haters on this Spektrum vrs Futaba point..

I have owned Airtronics M11..Futaba 4PL...and many Spektrums and they are all plastic,none feeling more toyish than the other..and the only brand that has not ever had any issues yet is the Spektrum for me..

On a side note I think the Black with silver with the shark antenna is very sharp looking
Old 12-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

Is it possible to run the new DSMR receivers with a older Spektrum radio???

I know the DX4S will accept older receivers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.