Search
Like Tree2Likes

Turnigy Trackstar 120 A 1 cell esc

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 04:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by disaster999
The 1 cell that is on the ROAR approval list is the Gen II not the older one most of the car pictures are showing here.
One distinction is that the Gen II has the switch built in ( both the 2 cell and the 1 cell are that way). The 80a has a detached switch.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

I was not able to find too many details to help with a starting point for this ESC. So I thought I would share my set up. Hope this helps someone.
I was racing against guys with brand name esc motor combos mainly 3.5t. Did not appear to be giving too much away. Finished 2nd. I will tune these more to gain a little more rip. We race on a med/large carpet track.

Gen 2 120 amp
2.02 firmware version
4.0t Trackstar motor second notch on + timing.
35mm roll out

Running mode - Forward/Brake
esc overheat - 125c
motor overheat - disable
reverse speed - 25
voltage cut - 3.0
punch switch point - 50%
1st stage punch - 5
2nd stage punch - 5
th input - line
throttle dead band - 80us
drag brake - 5%
initial brake - drag
brake switch point - 50%
brake strength - 75%
1st stage brake - 10
2nd stage brake - 10
brake input curve - line
boost timing - 25
boost start rpm - 5000
boost end rpm - 18000
boost line slope - line
boost constraint by throttle - no
turbo timing - 24
turbo activation - full th
turbo delay - 0.03
turbo engage slope - 50
turbo deactivate slope 30

Feel free to give some feedback!

Cheers,

Brett
Old 12-21-2014, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

does anybody know if these work with 2 cell as well?
Old 12-21-2014, 06:50 PM
Tech Regular

No, 1 cell only. For 2 cell may want to look at the other ESC's in the range.

Brett
Old 01-14-2015, 04:40 AM
Tech Master

I had something interesting happen this weekend and I am not sure why. I was racing carpet oval truck class and 3 minutes into the run the motor quit. I had steering and the esc looked normal (neutral was blinking and when I pulled the throttle it went full green). I cycled the ecs and still no motor. I pulled the radio trigger a few times and suddenly the motor was back. I have tested the motor on my dyno and it looks fine. Anyone else had a similar issue? This was the 1 cell gen II using a 17.5 motor.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default 1 Cell

Hey guys i have been running this esc for the 2nd year now and everything is working fine. I have just recently coupled it with the new Nano Tech Ultimate one cell and i picked up some punch. I like this combo and it is working well for me. No problems with the speedo so far. Hope this helps and have fun. I did get the program card for it as well and is a snap to change settings.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by old_dude
I had something interesting happen this weekend and I am not sure why. I was racing carpet oval truck class and 3 minutes into the run the motor quit. I had steering and the esc looked normal (neutral was blinking and when I pulled the throttle it went full green). I cycled the ecs and still no motor. I pulled the radio trigger a few times and suddenly the motor was back. I have tested the motor on my dyno and it looks fine. Anyone else had a similar issue? This was the 1 cell gen II using a 17.5 motor.
Hi,
The only time I have seen this behaviour is when I dumped running a 4t with a fair amount of boost/turbo. I would be surprised if this is your issue though as you are running 17.5.

BD
Old 01-15-2015, 03:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dray01
Hi,
The only time I have seen this behaviour is when I dumped running a 4t with a fair amount of boost/turbo. I would be surprised if this is your issue though as you are running 17.5.

BD
Battery was still at 4 volts with the cutoff at 3. Really confused about this one. It is like the command was being sent to the speedo but not going to the motor. Almost like a glitch, interestingly other people had similar problems at that race over the weekend. I did not have the cap pack attached so I am hoping that will cure it.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by old_dude
Battery was still at 4 volts with the cutoff at 3. Really confused about this one. It is like the command was being sent to the speedo but not going to the motor. Almost like a glitch, interestingly other people had similar problems at that race over the weekend. I did not have the cap pack attached so I am hoping that will cure it.
Out of curiosity did you have esc and motor overheat protection turned off?
I tested this last night and had similar strange behaviour. I hear there is a software update on the way. Hopefully that will help. Hope the cap is the issue as that is a simple resolution.

BD
Old 01-16-2015, 04:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dray01
Out of curiosity did you have esc and motor overheat protection turned off?
I tested this last night and had similar strange behaviour. I hear there is a software update on the way. Hopefully that will help. Hope the cap is the issue as that is a simple resolution.

BD
I would have to go back and check on the overheats. I usually don't concern myself with that on a esc for truck oval. We usually have low motor temps because of the short races.
I will check though next week as I am off to another race weekend that is not oval.
What is the recommendation for those settings to avoid a problem?
Old 01-18-2015, 07:17 PM
Regional Moderator

How do you set boost with this 1 cell ESC? From what I heard, Boost and Turbo is like stage 2 and 3 surge of power, its SHOULD pretty noticeable when your full throttle to hear 3 different speeds.

I can get Turbo to work since it activates once full throttle, but I can never get boost to work correctly, or I never really notice anything.

Any tips on how to setup boost with 1 cell?

Last edited by disaster999; 01-18-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by disaster999
How do you set boost with this 1 cell ESC? From what I heard, Boost and Turbo is like stage 2 and 3 surge of power, its SHOULD pretty noticeable when your full throttle to hear 3 different speeds.

I can get Turbo to work since it activates once full throttle, but I can never get boost to work correctly, or I never really notice anything.

Any tips on how to setup boost with 1 cell?
Try boost activation by "full throttle + rpm" it will let you to select from how much rpm boost will activate in stages
Old 01-19-2015, 01:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Teodoras
Try boost activation by "full throttle + rpm" it will let you to select from how much rpm boost will activate in stages
Also keep in mind that if you set the turbo activation by full thottle + rpm you need to set the right rpm else you will not see anything. EG: if you are running a 13.5t and set the turbo activation to 30000rpm then you will not engage turbo.
Personally I prefer to activate turbo on full throttle only so i do not need to do the math You still will need to set your boost rpm range though.

What motor and rollout are you running? Maybe we can point you in the right direction with the settings.

BD
Old 01-19-2015, 03:43 AM
Tech Master

To set turbo correctly you really need to understand the operating rpm range of your car. A 1 cell 13.5 only has a top rpm of around 12k rpm unloaded (assuming 4 volts).
Old 01-19-2015, 05:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

May I ask how I can update my esc firmware from 1.06 to 2.xx.
I tried to use the Geforce, downloaded and unzipped it. Able to run the 2.xx from my desktop. But after that, I don't know what need to download and connect in necessary order to update my esc. I also have the track Star program Box.
Please help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.