Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Turnigy Trackstar 120 A 1 cell esc >

Turnigy Trackstar 120 A 1 cell esc

Like Tree2Likes

Turnigy Trackstar 120 A 1 cell esc

Old 10-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks! F1 is cool. I think it would be cool to have 1/12 F1 that were as fast as regular 1/12 cars.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by btsai
I run 16awg on mine since I run it in my CRC Xi.

For the timing, I use the programming card, set the timing to zero and the light blinks, just like it's supposed to.

As far as power goes -- seems to be fine. Note that RacinJ posted earlier in this thread (the same day he was running his car with an RS Pro ESC) and said my car ran fine.

Just sayin...

Good luck! (And get the programming card if you don't already have it. So easy.)
I just got my programming card. Apparently it was operating in sensorless mode. After putting it in sensored mode, the red LED blinks when motor timing is set at zero. And higher timing settings definitely have an effect on RPM. I'll have to re-test it on the dyno someday soon.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:02 AM
Tech Adept

Glad you got that worked out. I'd be very curious to hear what you find out on the dyno...
Old 10-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin Marcy
I just got my programming card. Apparently it was operating in sensorless mode. After putting it in sensored mode, the red LED blinks when motor timing is set at zero. And higher timing settings definitely have an effect on RPM. I'll have to re-test it on the dyno someday soon.
Is there any way to switch from sensorless to sensored without the card? Hobbyking has the cards backordered.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Tech Regular

After setting the ESC into "sensor only" mode with the programming card, it's performance on the dyno was equal to or slightly better than a Novak GTB and a Tekin RS Pro (but NOT enough better to suggest that it's got timing). Another peculiar thing I noticed, the "reverse amount" setting is NOT available with the programming card. You have to use the trigger/beep method to set it, so set this first before using the card. At 25% reverse setting, the car wouldn't even move when the trigger was pushed to reverse.

As far as I can tell, the only way to get it into "sensor only" mode is with the programming card (sensorless seems like a strange default for a 1s ESC).
Old 10-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Tech Adept

Cool to hear how it performs. Glad to hear it's competitive.

Any chance you've dynod a Hobbywing 1S ESC? It would have been my other choice and I'm curious how it would fare...
Old 10-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Got ahold of a program card last night. I agree that sensorless is an odd default, glad I got it sorted out. Really like this Speedo.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by btsai
... Any chance you've dynod a Hobbywing 1S ESC? It would have been my other choice and I'm curious how it would fare...
No, but if you buy me one ....
Old 10-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Kevin Marcy
No, but if you buy me one ....
LOL
Old 01-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Just got this speedy and I am having an issue calibrating it. As I can see it from reading the instructions, the process to calibrate is the same as to get into progam mode(hold full throttle and turn the speedy on). This just accepts the full throttle then goes into program mode, without calibrating reverse .Has anyone else worked this out as it is doing my head in.
I have tried to different radios and it does the same thing. I have moved the throttle trim as suggested but it doesnt calibrate. I can get it to tun ok without calibrating reverse(1/12th scale doesnt need it lol) but frustraing that it isnt working right
Old 02-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Tech Champion

Can someone please post the instructions for calibrating the ESC without the program card?

I turn it on and all I get is an orange flashing light and a repetitive beep.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
Can someone please post the instructions for calibrating the ESC without the program card?

I turn it on and all I get is an orange flashing light and a repetitive beep.
I'll have a program card with me tomorrow at highway if you like. I'll look it up for you but it sounds like you've gone into program mode. It just uses a beep code in there with the trigger for yes/no responses. So if it beeps small gap beeps large gap, that's menu item 1-1. If it beeps once, small gap beeps twice large gap that's menu item 1-2.

Calibration and programming is the same action, but for a different duration from memory. First duration is calibration second is programming

EDIT:

Looked it up. Calibration method is:

- ESC off
- Turn on Transmitter
- Hold full throttle on Transmitter
- Turn on esc (keep holding throttle)
- ESC beeps and flashes, keep holding throttle for 2 seconds
- Green LED blinks rapidly (Manual says motor rings, I think it means esc) esc beeps for 1 sec, full throttle recorded.
- Red LED blinks, beeps to indicated break. Hold trigger in break postion until the esc beeps again for 1 second
- Yellow LED blinks, beeps for neutral.
- ESC blinks and beeps again for one second, ready to use.

Last edited by wollow86; 02-01-2013 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Corrected order, added calibration method.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I had to reset my radio to default settings to get the thing to calibrate. You may need to play with the throttle trim also, I had to set it to 8 steps back on the spektrum to get it to recognise the program sequence.
i cant help but think a button on the thing would make life easy to program it.
The fast flashing orange light I found means lipo low voltage also if it helps.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:38 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks guys. I think I've got it. Also didn't help that the receiver was dead!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Anybody have any pics of this thing installed in 12th scale? Just picked one up and am wondering where all the 'extra' (i think it's maybe the booster i'm referring to) stuff is going to go. I'm new to 12th scale and am not sure how it all fits. I'll be running a CRC Gen XL chassis if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.