Wiki Posts
Search

Charge times for Ni-Cd

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Charge times for Ni-Cd

Hi,

I have dug out my old RC car (Tamiya Bear Hawk) to have a bit of fun with my kids, and I have completely forgotten how long the Ni-Cd's need to charge for.

They say they are Tamiya Ni-Cd 7.2V1200mAh (6N-1200SC).
The charger I have is a Riko 6N-1200E (7.2v 0.86VA) and has a single light on it.

Does anyone know how long I'd need to charge the NiCd's for or if the light on the charger changes colour / goes off when they are fully charged?

Really don't want to blow the house up.

Cheers,
N
Old 10-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You could charge by temp - with Nicads, when the batteries start to get warm to the touch, they're done. But, assuming that charger really only charges at .86a, it'll take at least an hour. That's also assuming the pack will still take a charge after all these years. A 1200NiCad is probably about 25 years old so I'd definitely keep an eye on it while it's charging. If you wanted to be on the extra safe side, you could get a new battery and charger that are basic but will do the job for what you're looking to do for very low prices these days.