Wiki Posts
Search

New Speed Passion Reventon Pro

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 06:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default New Speed Passion Reventon Pro

Has anyone tried using the reventon pro for touring car? How is its performance?
Please share your comments and reactions with it. Im also planning to buy one im just making sure its worth it.

Thank you!
Old 11-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Tech Rookie

fast and cheap
Old 11-19-2012, 02:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pocholo1
fast and cheap
Just got one last week installed in my vbc with 4.5T turbo. Run cool and speed good as well. the best thing is the price. LOL
Old 12-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Tech Adept

Anybody currently own a reventon pro? what firmware are you guys running on your Reventon Pro ESC? Mod1 xxxx?

I bought 2 Reventon Pro ESCs recently, and right out of the box I tried to update the LCD card and ESC firmwares. The LCD card firmware was upgraded with no errors (V2.6 latest using the latest Dec 05 PC software on their site). But when I tried to upgrade the firmware of my ESC (to Mod0 --> coz I want to use forward/revers w/brake), it failed and my PC software or my LCD card does not recognize the ESC anymore and I cannot do any firmware update to it. Also it won't power off if you press on the setup key..well basically I can understand that because probably the software inside is screwed up. Very disappointed, my first try on the Speed Passion, thought they were good and solid products. At least their software kinda sucks......I have always used CC no problem with software or hardware problem what so ever...but because I want to try Sensored Motor / ESC..that's why I decided to give Speed Passion a shot (since they claim their ESC won a lot of races, silly me to think of it this way) and the price was within tolerance....well I guess I paid my price for not getting something like a tekin esc.

I haven't even touch / test out the 13.5T or 10.5T MMM V3.0 Motors yet...I hope they work, warranty for the motors expired already I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed.....
Old 12-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I agree. When I got back into the hobby, I got a Speed Passion speedo since one of the top Tamiya drivers used it. Since I was getting the same Tamiya chassis I thought I'd get the same thing, since I didn't really know where to start with brushless. It had been over 10 years since I last raced.

At first, I thought maybe Hobbywing copied SP since a lot of their stuff is identical or otherwise compatible, but now I'm thinking maybe SP just buys Hobbywing stuff and rebrands it. Dunno for sure what their relationship is.

The instructions are full of typos and "chinglish", and are printed on a cheap folded piece of paper. The construction quality on the LCD programming box I got was junk (it rattled and the circuit board inside wasn't screwed down to anything). The speedo itself seemed pretty nice. Very smooth, and easy to adjust. I ended up selling it though.

I heard the new Reventon line initially had some problems with catching on fire in the other SP forums (when testing in eurpoe - not sure if thats true or not) and there seem to be endless delays in getting that lineup in stock over here. I see that user "Solara" generally is very responsive in the forums, but he comes off as kind of a dude with a chip on his shoulder if you criticize SP at all. I feel like he's pretty mean to newbs and comes across as kind of a jerk. The company just seems sketchy to me. I went back to the name brands.

That being said. I've been running a MMM 17.5 for over a year and it runs like a champ.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Tech Adept

I'm getting them to look at the problem I'm having. Seems like it's a legit "Defect" that I found. I am surprise, I feel Like I"m the only one updating a Reventon Pro ESC. Jesus.

I can't say about their products because I haven't really used them yet. But at any rate, their software/firmware is not at par as with other brand's level, for sure not professional and I have a "cheaply" feeling about their level of quality.

One good thing I want to mention tho, I do like their USA Support. That, I was happy about.

Well I'm prepared to open up RMAs for my ESC, I already talked to them I have to pay Shipping (at least $20 bucks Canadian) to send the defective ESCs to them ( I bought 2 Reventon Pro damn it).

So put yourself in my shoes, I "Was" excited about trying Sensored ESC / Motor from a Brand that seems "OK" from forum posts and reviews on the internet. Price was within budget. Then I received the items I can't even get pass installing a firmware properly on the damn ESC. And now I have to pay another $20 bucks or so, PLUS wasting probably another 3 weeks or a month time to receive new ones (hopefully they will work that time). Christmas is already over by then. Also, you spent like 3, 4 days dealing with them to deal with this stupid Software issue, I mean do they even "TEST" the damn software before rolling out? Come on, at least try to update the firmware themselve before rolling the damn software out. Would you agree? I can't even load the damn software to my BRAND NEW ESC. HOW, just tell me HOW GREAT IS THEIR PRODUCT? Software is important too, hell it controls how your ESC perform? So, How would you feel if you were me? But again, their USA support is good. That I give them Credit.

Last edited by carrotcake; 12-12-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Might be able to find more help posting in these threads:

Speedpassion On Road Thread:http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...on-thread.html
Speedpassion Off Road Thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...on-thread.html
Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Me and my brother run speed passions from the reventon R to the GT 2.0...their products are GREAT! however, the software is junk, most people have a hard time working with it and its due to it being very fincky and unstable...if you can figure out the workings with the manual and running the software I promise you will love the ESC's and the durability with them....Just wish they could get their SH** together with the software side of things...and HobbyWing is the Build house for Speed Passion. To me Hobbywing has a much better software department but their prices on the newest lines have grown due to the popularity.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by trickedout
Me and my brother run speed passions from the reventon R to the GT 2.0...their products are GREAT! however, the software is junk, most people have a hard time working with it and its due to it being very fincky and unstable...if you can figure out the workings with the manual and running the software I promise you will love the ESC's and the durability with them....Just wish they could get their SH** together with the software side of things...and HobbyWing is the Build house for Speed Passion. To me Hobbywing has a much better software department but their prices on the newest lines have grown due to the popularity.
HobbyWing is the Build House for SP? Wow, I didn't know that.

Anyway, conclusion is Customer Service Good, Hardware (I think it's good), But Software Sucks shit.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by thunderbt3
Might be able to find more help posting in these threads:

Speedpassion On Road Thread:http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...on-thread.html
Speedpassion Off Road Thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...on-thread.html
Thanks for the links - I've already got their Techs to look at the issue from Hong Kong. Probably will send out RMA. I also told the support to make sure to "Pre-Load" the MOD0 latest firmware for the new replacement. Anyway, my problem is solved (at least, for the moment)
Old 12-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by carrotcake
HobbyWing is the Build House for SP? Wow, I didn't know that.

Anyway, conclusion is Customer Service Good, Hardware (I think it's good), But Software Sucks shit.
Yup, They also build for Orion and the new HPI Flux Pro esc...Hobbywing is no chinese crap, they are the real deal. Yup that about nails it for Speed Passion.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by trickedout
Yup, They also build for Orion and the new HPI Flux Pro esc...Hobbywing is no chinese crap, they are the real deal. Yup that about nails it for Speed Passion.
Welll, what the heck, shouldn't we be using Hobby Wing stuff now then?

Honestly, no disrespect, I did think they were some cheap Chinese Crap!

Even tho the price gone up but should still be cheaper than other brands? If you say they're that good. I can use them for my on and off road Buggies/Truggies?

No glitching? No heat problems (under reasonable gearing)? No unsuitability? Software/firmware is cool?
Old 12-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm getting them to look at the problem I'm having. Seems like it's a legit "Defect" that I found. I am surprise, I feel Like I"m the only one updating a Reventon Pro ESC. Jesus.

I can't say about their products because I haven't really used them yet. But at any rate, their software/firmware is not at par as with other brand's level, for sure not professional and I have a "cheaply" feeling about their level of quality.

One good thing I want to mention tho, I do like their USA Support. That, I was happy about.

Well I'm prepared to open up RMAs for my ESC, I already talked to them I have to pay Shipping (at least $20 bucks Canadian) to send the defective ESCs to them ( I bought 2 Reventon Pro damn it).

So put yourself in my shoes, I "Was" excited about trying Sensored ESC / Motor from a Brand that seems "OK" from forum posts and reviews on the internet. Price was within budget. Then I received the items I can't even get pass installing a firmware properly on the damn ESC. And now I have to pay another $20 bucks or so, PLUS wasting probably another 3 weeks or a month time to receive new ones (hopefully they will work that time). Christmas is already over by then. Also, you spent like 3, 4 days dealing with them to deal with this stupid Software issue, I mean do they even "TEST" the damn software before rolling out? Come on, at least try to update the firmware themselve before rolling the damn software out. Would you agree? I can't even load the damn software to my BRAND NEW ESC. HOW, just tell me HOW GREAT IS THEIR PRODUCT? Software is important too, hell it controls how your ESC perform? So, How would you feel if you were me? But again, their USA support is good. That I give them Credit.

I had similar problems with the firmware .It took me several times of removing and re installing the software to get it to work( about three hours worth). when i finally got the update to work I was able to program the esc (stock0). everything bench tested just fine then the next day when I went to use it the whole thing fried! I didnt even make it from my trailer to the track.

I have three SP Citrix Stock Club Race speedos that I am very happy with for running blinky, so I figured I would try the Reventon Pro since everyone says how smooth they are compared to my Tekins. Now like you said, I have to PAY MORE to send it back and hope its covered under warranty.

Here's some pics.
Attached Thumbnails New Speed Passion Reventon Pro-photo-1-2-.jpg   New Speed Passion Reventon Pro-photo-2-2-.jpg  
Old 12-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Oldschoolrcer
I had similar problems with the firmware .It took me several times of removing and re installing the software to get it to work( about three hours worth). when i finally got the update to work I was able to program the esc (stock0). everything bench tested just fine then the next day when I went to use it the whole thing fried! I didnt even make it from my trailer to the track.

I have three SP Citrix Stock Club Race speedos that I am very happy with for running blinky, so I figured I would try the Reventon Pro since everyone says how smooth they are compared to my Tekins. Now like you said, I have to PAY MORE to send it back and hope its covered under warranty.

Here's some pics.
You see, that's what I'm afraid of, even when you can get the firmware working on the ESC, the hardware still go crap..... I knew I shouldn't have gotten the Reventon Pro, maybe when it's at their Version 2 Reventon Pro or enhanced version would be better....the initial stocks are always prone to have problems, we're all Ginny pigs in trying the first generation of reventon pro, new bluetooth, WIFI setup...BS....maybe their next generation is okay. The only difference between Ginny pigs and us is that we pay to be the Ginny pigs.

By the way,, how did you fried the ESC? Like when you pulled the trigger the ESC just "popped"?

Warranty is 90 days, if you register , + another 30 days. If it's expired...hope you can fight for the replacement.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You see, that's what I'm afraid of, even when you can get the firmware working on the ESC, the hardware still go crap..... I knew I shouldn't have gotten the Reventon Pro, maybe when it's at their Version 2 Reventon Pro or enhanced version would be better....the initial stocks are always prone to have problems, we're all Ginny pigs in trying the first generation of reventon pro, new bluetooth, WIFI setup...BS....maybe their next generation is okay. The only difference between Ginny pigs and us is that we pay to be the Ginny pigs.

By the way,, how did you fried the ESC? Like when you pulled the trigger the ESC just "popped"?

Warranty is 90 days, if you register , + another 30 days. If it's expired...hope you can fight for the replacement.

Nope. It bench tested fine. Full throttle/ brake. All I did is plug in the battery and walk toward the track to do some laps and smelled electric burning.. I thought it was some other poor suckers battery going up in smoke but it was my esc. I'm lucky it didn't take out my $100 lipo, or my brand new 22sct!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.