Wiki Posts
Search

Old esc on lipo getting hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Old esc on lipo getting hot

I have several old tekin 420 esc's. I am trying to run these on lipo. I have burnt op three so far with a 5000 40c pack. In a matter of about 30 seconds. I have been testing some others with a 3500 25c pack. The esc gets to hot to touch after about a minute of running. I am running duel brush motors in a clod. I never had this problem even when I ran 14 cells back in the day. Will this esc just not handle lipo or will a bec or anything help?
Old 09-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Tech Champion

Somewhat surprising, those are pretty beefy ESCs.
How many lipo cells (voltage)?
Are the motors getting hot? Generally need to gear down when switching to lipo.
What servo(s)?
Old 09-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

7.2 lipo stock clod 13 tooth gearing. Motors don't get hot. Running a futaba s9402. This is in three different trucks. I have rewired one seeing what that would do but it does the same thing. I wouldn't have thought this esc would have had any problem with the lipo.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

When changing from nimh to lipo, you need to drop the gearing quit a bit. But Dave H. asked which servo & the futaba s9402 is a high amp servo & I doubt the
420's bec is more than 1 to 3 amps & that will not be nearly enough for that servo.

When your other esc's quit, did they just stop or smoke? You might try a receiver pack or an external bec on the bad esc.s if it is the bec,

Check out the specs on the futaba s9402

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXH305

Last edited by TOM MAR; 09-07-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

I ran these trucks for years on micd and nimh with no problems. Even ran 14 cells at times. Just can't see why the lipos are causing this problem. They don't smoke just pretty much melt lol.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TweakedTad
I ran these trucks for years on micd and nimh with no problems. Even ran 14 cells at times. Just can't see why the lipos are causing this problem. They don't smoke just pretty much melt lol.
If you are having melt down of wires then you are way over geared, Melt downs are caused by too many amps. I have seen wires burnt to a fire because of the power difference between lipo & nickle metal batteries. Sub c cell drop in voltage & amperage the instant you pull the throttle, Lipo's DO NOT, a 2 cell will normally run at 3.5 to 2.7 volts depending on the load until discharged. The difference in battery is a lot like comparing a aa battery to a wall socket. (not really just a night & day difference) Not even close!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Not the wires it is the board in the esc. I believe it is just the old tekin stuff. I have ran other old esc's with lipos and no problems. The clod is geared very low and it isn't a gear problem. They run 13 tooth pinions. The motors would get hot and they aren't even warm. I will try a bec but don't see it helping.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

It has to have something to do with the amperage the lipo can put out. I've ran the old 420 esc's back in the day with dual motors and or with 3 7cells in series. Never had an issue. I've always preferred tekin over novak because of those 420 and 412 esc's. They were alot tougher.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

Amperage, how many turns are the motors? You are overgeared ! The motors can handle much more than the esc & the esc is giving up way before the motors have a chance to get hot.

Last edited by TOM MAR; 09-08-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TweakedTad
Not the wires it is the board in the esc. I believe it is just the old tekin stuff. I have ran other old esc's with lipos and no problems. The clod is geared very low and it isn't a gear problem. They run 13 tooth pinions. The motors would get hot and they aren't even warm. I will try a bec but don't see it helping.
Lipo's will do this, they ARE that much stronger ! The old round cells can not even come close to the power in a lipo pack.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Geared down today guess what still got hot. Just made the truck go slow.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

There's no way it's an amperage issue. The tekin's number designates how many cells it'll handle, the 412 was 12 cells, 420 is 20 cells, so the 420 is rated up to 24amps, so a 7.4 lipo SHOULDN'T be causing issues. I'd try a running a BEC in case it's the servo like was stated before or the Tekin has just seen it's last days and is spent at this point. Sometimes they do just wear out.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by scottgir
There's no way it's an amperage issue. The tekin's number designates how many cells it'll handle, the 412 was 12 cells, 420 is 20 cells, so the 420 is rated up to 24amps, so a 7.4 lipo SHOULDN'T be causing issues. I'd try a running a BEC in case it's the servo like was stated before or the Tekin has just seen it's last days and is spent at this point. Sometimes they do just wear out.
OK, first of all my first thought was a failing BEC in the esc.

Amps, Not voltage. Big difference. A bad or internally shorted motor can run & draw in excess 50 amps, way above the 420's rating. A voltage limit is a voltage limit only. If the esc is rated at 24 amps then you connect a battery (5000 40C) that can deliver a constant 40 amps all you have to do is have an issue with the motor, gear or anything creating a load on the esc & poof. There is no way you should be running 2 motors on a 24 amp esc with a lipo.

Been racing electric rc since 79, if you think I am still wrong contact TEKIN
I can live with it if they disagree. I'm not trying to be arrogant, only help. but we disagree. You said it yourself that it can handle 4 to 20 cells, so voltage is not the problem. That leaves only the BEC & amperage.

http://www.teamtekin.com/support.html
Old 09-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TOM MAR
OK, first of all my first thought was a failing BEC in the esc.

Amps, Not voltage. Big difference. A bad or internally shorted motor can run & draw in excess 50 amps, way above the 420's rating. A voltage limit is a voltage limit only. If the esc is rated at 24 amps then you connect a battery (5000 40C) that can deliver a constant 40 amps all you have to do is have an issue with the motor, gear or anything creating a load on the esc & poof. There is no way you should be running 2 motors on a 24 amp esc with a lipo.

http://www.teamtekin.com/support.html
Tekin specs for this ESC is 300 amps (http://www.teamtekin.com/Manuals/TSC...11G2,420G2.pdf).

One thing, though is that a FET or 2 can just die and the ESC will continue to work fine... Problem is that at some point, you may end up with to few FETs handling to much current and thus get very hot. That ESC is obviously quite old and might at some point have been damaged without you knowing. It happened to me once.

Martin Paradis
Old 09-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Tech Champion

Scott obviously mistyped 24 amps, should have been 24 volts, he was talking roundy cell counts.

It is weird though. I actually have a 420, one that is about as old as they get. It’s fairly recently been in my buddies Savage with twin 550 motors on 4S, had tons of speed and power, with no issues. Same stock 12 round cell gearing. No heat sink on the 420 transistor tabs. Don’t know for sure what servo it has, but it has to be fairly powerful, never noticed any problems getting those big tires to turn. The reason he had it is the stock BEC fried, the 420 kept him going until he got an external BEC.

If the brushed motors work it’s hard to believe it’s pulling too many amps for a 420, even a lipo can’t push many amps past brushes. Also hard to believe 3 of them have just died off, I also have several other Tekins of that era and older even that at least seem to work fine. In my experience switching to lipo on brushed was a motor concern, never experienced an ESC issue.

Does make sense to check the BEC though. Unhook the steering servo for a trial, perhaps lock up steering up somehow, or install a weaker servo, etc, see if you can run it a bit and see if the heat goes down. Or like Tom mentioned use a receiver battery, pull and insulate the red wire from the 420 servo plug. Then you can pinpoint whether the BEC and servo is the issue.

One more thought, where is the torque limiter set? Probably runs coolest with it turned all the way up, no limiting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.