Wiki Posts
Search

Spektrum/Savox brown out problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Spektrum/Savox brown out problem

Hey guys, i just bought a savox 1258 tg servo to put into my b4.1. It has an Orion r10 race in it, orion vst pro 17.5t motor, and spektrum sr300/dx3e tx/rx in it. When the motor is plugged in, once i turn the servo all the way to one side, the light on the reciever goes out, the servo centers and the light comes back on. When the motor isnt plugged in, the servo works fine. Can someone please help me? And if i need to buy something, please post a link to it.
Thanks!!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

A common issue with that Spektrum/Savox setup. This should fix it.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Tech Addict

Okay thank you very much! Also, does it matter what turn the motor is? because i also might have to use this on my sc too and that has an 8.5t motor in it. Does that make a difference?
Old 08-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

A hotter motor is even more likely to cause it but based on what I've seen, I wouldn't run a Savox/Spektrum setup w/o some sort of glitch buster capacitor regardless of motor.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Tech Addict

No, i get that but im wondering if the turn of the motor will affect the amp draw in any way, and if so, can the BEC handle it?
Old 08-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

BEC only powers the external hardware. Higher amp draws are more likely to introduce ripple current/sag into the internal BEC's feed line, which can make the problem worse. The BEC will be fine once you add some capacitance.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Tech Addict

So now im confused. Sorry. I'm a noob. Could someone explain all of this please?
Old 08-15-2012, 06:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Here we go!

Your ESC contains a decently powerful "BEC", or Battery Eliminator Circuit. This device takes battery voltage and steps it down to 6v, which is what we use for our servos, radios, and the like. It is microprocessor-controlled to provide a fixed amount of amperage.

When dealing with a power supply, if you draw amperage beyond the supply's ability to deliver, you will see a decrease (Sag) in output voltage. This is BAD.

The Savox servo is a notorious power-hog, and under high load, can pull so hard on it's supply line, it causes the voltage to drop (sag).

Then the voltage sags, your radio underoes a "Brown out" which actually takes it offline for a few moments. As your ESC's own control hardware is powered by the BEC it contains, this can/will cause steering and throttle "Glitches."

Your motor, being rather hot, can cause additional problems by pulling down on the BATTERY so hard that the BEC starves for power, causing brownouts.

All of this is fixed, typically, with a Glitchbuster capacitor, or something like it. These capacitors act as temporary energy storage, charging when the load is low, and providing additional power when the load is high.

In more extreme cases, the internal BEC isn't up to the task at all, so you wire in an External BEC to take over for it, as the external BEC will have a higher maximum amperage.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Tech Addict

Ok thanks for clearing it up for me