Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Shortening Hitec servo wires...? >

Shortening Hitec servo wires...?

Shortening Hitec servo wires...?

Old 08-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Shortening Hitec servo wires...?

What's the best way to do this? I'm not really up to speed on electric stuff.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Tech Regular

This...
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Crimping-Tool
and this...
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...nectors-4-Pair
Old 08-17-2012, 09:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

X2 and TAKE YOUR TIME.....Practice on a scrap piece of wire and realize you might have to sacrifice a few connector's to learn how to use the tools properly.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you are very careful, it is easy to unsolder the wires from inside the servo, shorten them to length, then solder the wire back into place. This works for me.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by mooby64
If you are very careful, it is easy to unsolder the wires from inside the servo, shorten them to length, then solder the wire back into place. This works for me.

Some Servo's Unfortunately aren't as Easy as it Sounds. Some need the Bottom Board to be removed to access the Solder joints and At that Point Most Close the servo up and Go on to the Wires.....Also You do need a Somewhat "Fine" tip to be doing that kind of Soldering work. So for Soldering Newbie's Id much rather see them go the way of the wire.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have been soldering for work and hobby for 25 years and I think I would still shorten the wire at the plug end.... I would only solder on the PCB if I had to replace a damaged wire.

Thanks for the link Integra, I've been wanting to get that tool for a while now.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:57 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Steve.
I have been soldering for work and hobby for 25 years and I think I would still shorten the wire at the plug end.... I would only solder on the PCB if I had to replace a damaged wire.

Thanks for the link Integra, I've been wanting to get that tool for a while now.

Cory W posted the link but No worries
Old 08-21-2012, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My option is the cheapest way to shorten the wires. A lot of people do not want to purchase specialty tool for do a small task. I bet if he asked a local racer/ hobby shop, he can get it done easily. just my opinion.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

My option is the cheapest way to shorten the wires. A lot of people do not want to purchase specialty tool for do a small task. I bet if he asked a local racer/ hobby shop, he can get it done easily. just my opinion.
I agree with you mooby64. Your way or cut the lead mid-way re-solder to the length you want over buying a $20 tool.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:21 PM
8T
Tech Adept

The traces on the circuit board are really thin and it doesn't take much heat to start lifting them off the board. If you have some smt experence, no worries. If not, use the tool or pliers(carefully) and cut to length and replace the connectors!
Old 05-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Integra
Some Servo's Unfortunately aren't as Easy as it Sounds. Some need the Bottom Board to be removed to access the Solder joints and At that Point Most Close the servo up and Go on to the Wires.....Also You do need a Somewhat "Fine" tip to be doing that kind of Soldering work. So for Soldering Newbie's Id much rather see them go the way of the wire.
I have a Hitec 7940TH that I shortened the wire and damaged the insulation and now the wire is too short. The bottom board needs to be removed to replace the wire. I'm not the best at soldering so I'd rather someone else do this. Is there anyplace I can send the servo and have the wires replaced to a custom length? Thanks
Old 05-05-2013, 05:22 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

That's what I do to mine lol, and have done for others at my lhs lol
Old 05-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by redliner140
I have a Hitec 7940TH that I shortened the wire and damaged the insulation and now the wire is too short. The bottom board needs to be removed to replace the wire. I'm not the best at soldering so I'd rather someone else do this. Is there anyplace I can send the servo and have the wires replaced to a custom length? Thanks
Send back to Hitec?

Last edited by JiuHaWong; 04-01-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just cut the wire an inch or so away from the plug, cut off what you don't want from the servo end, then just splice and heat shrink. Done.