Old 08-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default 3 transmitter options, could use help

I'm trading/selling my short course truck for a transmitter and have 3 options:

Sell and purchase a 4PL
Trade for a KO ex-10 helios limited c2
Trade (plus cash) for a radiopost TS401

Most important thing for me is feel/build quality. Is the helios antiquated?
Old 08-14-2012, 01:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Try to get a feel of the transmitters. I personally think the Feel is very impt. I love my TS401 though.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't have the opportunity to hold them. I have only held a 4PL, which I thought felt pretty good but a little too plastic. I've held all of the spektrums and hate them all.

My question would be - how does the build quality of the radiopost/ko propo compare to a 4pl? Similar? Better? Worse?

And is the fact that the ko propo is an older model with a DSM spektrum module (not DSM2) a big issue? I'd be leaning towards that radio if the DSM spektrum is OK.

I just do on road carpet.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brgr56
I don't have the opportunity to hold them. I have only held a 4PL, which I thought felt pretty good but a little too plastic. I've held all of the spektrums and hate them all.

My question would be - how does the build quality of the radiopost/ko propo compare to a 4pl? Similar? Better? Worse?

And is the fact that the ko propo is an older model with a DSM spektrum module (not DSM2) a big issue? I'd be leaning towards that radio if the DSM spektrum is OK.

I just do on road carpet.
When the Spektrum DX3R first came out I too thought it was flimsy, cheap and fragile. Then a couple years later I bought one and now own a DX3R Pro which I use exclusively for racing, on-road mostly 1/12, 1/10 pan car (WGT) and off-road SCT, 1/10 mod buggy and 1/8 ebuggy.

So far my two DX3R s have not failed me at all and I swept the WGT series in most of the races I attended.

That being said, I came from using Futaba 3PKS and the older 3PK which I thought were the best radios I ever used. However, the weight became an issue especially in 1/12 racing which is why I tried out the Spektrum. It worked so much better than I ever imagined which was good because I was using the DSM modules in my Futabas so all my cars had Spektrum receivers.

Now I still use the DX3R Pro for racing but I have a Futaba 4PL for my crawlers. Funny thing is that it feels almost exactly the same as the DX3R but weighs just a couple ounces more (with a LiFe pack).