R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #91
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jha07 View Post
I have a feeling these Trackstar motors probably wouldn't pass Roar inspection, just like the D3.5. That's why they are so fast.
There is no reason why this would be the case. A lot of motors that don't have approval is only because the cost of submitting to motors for approval. Or it could be they are making components for other manufactures and don't want to undercut their customers. Or it could be something very simple like with these motors you can slide the windings out of the can and put them in a can stamped at a different turn instead of it being fixed to stop this. But it doesn't mean its an "unfair motor".
The stators look the same as the reedy and teampowers motors as well as the rotor, and its the stator, its winding count and the rotor is 90% of a motors pass or fall at approval.
Even motors that are not legal in stock class' such as the Corally red lines or the Graupner would be if their rotor had a bit less magnet thickness so I doubt these 20 motors are anything unfair.If anything people are just pushing them as hard as they can, replacing them often and not worrying about cooking them because they are so cheap.
YZFAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #92
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 431
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFAndy View Post
There is no reason why this would be the case. A lot of motors that don't have approval is only because the cost of submitting to motors for approval. Or it could be they are making components for other manufactures and don't want to undercut their customers. Or it could be something very simple like with these motors you can slide the windings out of the can and put them in a can stamped at a different turn instead of it being fixed to stop this. But it doesn't mean its an "unfair motor".
The stators look the same as the reedy and teampowers motors as well as the rotor, and its the stator, its winding count and the rotor is 90% of a motors pass or fall at approval.
Even motors that are not legal in stock class' such as the Corally red lines or the Graupner would be if their rotor had a bit less magnet thickness so I doubt these 20 motors are anything unfair.If anything people are just pushing them as hard as they can, replacing them often and not worrying about cooking them because they are so cheap.
I don't have one of these motors, so I can only go by what people are saying about them on this thread. And from what I read, they are faster than the Roar legal 17.5. If your competition needs to check if you're in blinky mode, then clearly, you must be going faster than everyone else.
jha07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #93
Tech Champion
 
Radio Active's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 7,061
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

According to the ROAR website approval costs $100 and 2 samples. Hardly prohibitive.
__________________
Reigning NSW 4WD Group 20 Champion
Member: Maitland Radio Car Club (http://www.morcc.com.au)
twitter: @dvcotton
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #94
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,376
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

OR, the motor was made for a series off shore that uses different specs that don't fit the ROAR rules, so they don't even bother trying to get it approved as they already know its not legal.

This has happened several times before, problem is due to the ability to get anything from anywhere now, issues like these will become more the norm. At least they aren't being sold under the guise of being ROAR legal, so in this case its a buyer beware matter, if your club is allowing them, use it, much the same as the D3.5, just don't bring it to the ROAR Nats if its not on the list.

Speculating why isn't going to get it approved, have it tested yourself if its really a issue. I'm sure the independent lab that ROAR used to use could still do it.
__________________
Gary Lanzer
Team VBC HK
Team R1WURKS
EMR Factory LLC
AWESOME Graphics
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #95
Tech Fanatic
 
JAM Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Baulkham Hills
Posts: 751
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default TURNIGY MOTORS 21.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Active View Post
According to the ROAR website approval costs $100 and 2 samples. Hardly prohibitive.
Like you say its hardly prohibitive but ive already asked for some samples and the Australian supplier wouldn't supply them

yes they a re a cost effective solution for club racers as is their 1 cell esc but it up to hobbyking to put work in on getting their motors approved...im not doing it at my cost for their profit


Hell even if they are not to spec but are a Genuine"AT THE CLUB" resolve for most clubs but a little bit of effort from the supplier would be nice
__________________
Walters Hobbies for all your racing needs
Serpent 411/ERYX
ORCA BATTERIES
Castle Hill Raceway
The Best in the West
JAM Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #96
Tech Elite
 
ta04evah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,612
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM Racing View Post
yes they a re a cost effective solution for club racers as is their 1 cell esc but it up to hobbyking to put work in on getting their motors approved...im not doing it at my cost for their profit
For club racing they're great value for your $$, priced & just over $32US. They're even better value than most of the cheap sensorless & non timing motors.
For someone that's wanting to get into the hobby and doesn't want to shell out $80+US for something with a ROAR sticker, it's a good alternative for them to have while they are developing their skills on & off the track.

Clubs could even use these motors for their own "spec" racing given the low cost.

Cheers
Rob.
__________________
Castle Hill RC On Road Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/121817254587521/
FatBear RC Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjiAhwa-rk5Vas2rv5IBD4A
ta04evah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:47 AM   #97
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Posts: 869
Default

at our club we are starting with a 1/12th class and most of us are using the turnigy trackstar 10.5T motor. This because of the low cost, high quality and there is also a dutch ware house to order.
And the best of all they give a great service, today ordered and tomorrow delivered
addicted2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:14 AM   #98
Tech Champion
 
Radio Active's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 7,061
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM Racing View Post
Like you say its hardly prohibitive but ive already asked for some samples and the Australian supplier wouldn't supply them

yes they a re a cost effective solution for club racers as is their 1 cell esc but it up to hobbyking to put work in on getting their motors approved...im not doing it at my cost for their profit


Hell even if they are not to spec but are a Genuine"AT THE CLUB" resolve for most clubs but a little bit of effort from the supplier would be nice
Yeah, the manufacturer/supplier has to be the one to seek approval. My comment was meant, as the cost was hardly prohibitive for them.

I've thought about trying to do these things myself as well. I don't really care about someone else's profit. It's more a case of how much of my personal funds and time I am willing to invest to benefit organised racing.

It would be of significant benefit. But I do too much already. Tomorrow I'm giving away a car with motor, servo and 3 batteries just to get another car in class. I won't even try and start counting the time I put in...
__________________
Reigning NSW 4WD Group 20 Champion
Member: Maitland Radio Car Club (http://www.morcc.com.au)
twitter: @dvcotton
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:01 AM   #99
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jha07 View Post
I don't have one of these motors, so I can only go by what people are saying about them on this thread. And from what I read, they are faster than the Roar legal 17.5. If your competition needs to check if you're in blinky mode, then clearly, you must be going faster than everyone else.
I've dyno tested (and raced with) one of their 17.5 motors. It's performance is virtually the same as a Novak motor (though it may run cooler due to the vents in the can). See attached screenshot (black line is the Novak, gray line is the Turnigy). I've only seen 1 person claiming it was faster than the others, and he was using a non-approved ESC. Maybe not really in blinky mode?
Attached Thumbnails
Turnigy TrackStar Motors-turnigy-dyno-results.jpg  
Kevin Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #100
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Active View Post
Yeah, the manufacturer/supplier has to be the one to seek approval. My comment was meant, as the cost was hardly prohibitive for them.
Like i said in my post, cost of approval is only one aspect. There could be many reasons such as internals are mode for another manufacture, Stators can be removed from cases or simply they are using cheap grade wire and can't guarantee thickness throughout a batch or between batches.


And again, just because they are not roar approved doesn't mean that they are an unfair motor. In fact some motors that are roar approved and tested aren't by their own testing standards so what roar approved means doesn't seem to hold much value.
YZFAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #101
Tech Master
 
cyanyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KL, MY.
Posts: 1,023
Default

Have anyone compared the Silver to the Red cans yet? I read on their product review that the red cans are tourqier has a built in internal fan. Is it true?
__________________
/Adrian.

RC FB Pages Subscribed:
facebook.com/EPBuggy
facebook.com/AllStarChampionship
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #102
Tech Fanatic
 
snowman_evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Gold Coast, Queenland
Posts: 919
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to snowman_evil
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanyde View Post
Have anyone compared the Silver to the Red cans yet? I read on their product review that the red cans are tourqier has a built in internal fan. Is it true?
+1, I'd also like to hear from anyone who has tried both motors. I have had great results with the 10.5 and 17.5 silver can but interested to see what the red cans are like.

Anyone??

Thanks!
__________________
DEX410V3 - Tekin - Spektrum - Panther
GCRC Raceway - "Lightning"
snowman_evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #103
Tech Fanatic
 
BCbud's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Victoria BC Canada
Posts: 758
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman_evil View Post
+1, I'd also like to hear from anyone who has tried both motors. I have had great results with the 10.5 and 17.5 silver can but interested to see what the red cans are like.

Anyone??

Thanks!
I have in my 1/12th scale 17.5 bosted car. The red can is a higher torque motor and I had to gear it like a non bosted car to make it work but it did well. The red can is about 20 grams lighter than the silver can.

The silver can has been in my car a fair bit and works as good or better than my driving skils will let it.

The silver can is rated for a max voltage of 2 cell and the red can is rated for 3 cell.

I will be putting the red can in my 2 cell non bosted touring car this summer out door season to see how it works there.
__________________
Xray NT1 - Xray T4 2013 TC - Xray T4 2013 VTA - CRCgenX10 - CRCgenX - CRCgenXi - Slash 4X4 with LCG conversion -Associated RC8Be - Xray XB4 - DX3R PRO
Recycled teenager.
www.irocc.ca ; www.corvictoria.com ; http://www.wcics.ca/
I will not send Pay Pal as a gift or add fees to the price so DO NOT ASK!
BCbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #104
Tech Fanatic
 
snowman_evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Gold Coast, Queenland
Posts: 919
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to snowman_evil
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCbud View Post
I have in my 1/12th scale 17.5 bosted car. The red can is a higher torque motor and I had to gear it like a non bosted car to make it work but it did well. The red can is about 20 grams lighter than the silver can.

The silver can has been in my car a fair bit and works as good or better than my driving skils will let it.

The silver can is rated for a max voltage of 2 cell and the red can is rated for 3 cell.

I will be putting the red can in my 2 cell non bosted touring car this summer out door season to see how it works there.
Cool thanks for the feedback! Keep us posted with how it hoes in the touring car.

So in short:

Red can: Lighter and more torque

Silver can: Heavier but more top end but still enough torque.

Overall which motor do you think is better?

Thanks!
__________________
DEX410V3 - Tekin - Spektrum - Panther
GCRC Raceway - "Lightning"
snowman_evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #105
Tech Fanatic
 
BCbud's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Victoria BC Canada
Posts: 758
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman_evil View Post
Cool thanks for the feedback! Keep us posted with how it hoes in the touring car.

So in short:

Red can: Lighter and more torque

Silver can: Heavier but more top end but still enough torque.

Overall which motor do you think is better?

Thanks!
For my 1/12 aplication the silver can is the one. The red can needs too much gearring to make it work and if we go to non bosted it would not work as the gears needed would not fit in the car. I think the red can will work better in a 2 or 3 cell aplication.
__________________
Xray NT1 - Xray T4 2013 TC - Xray T4 2013 VTA - CRCgenX10 - CRCgenX - CRCgenXi - Slash 4X4 with LCG conversion -Associated RC8Be - Xray XB4 - DX3R PRO
Recycled teenager.
www.irocc.ca ; www.corvictoria.com ; http://www.wcics.ca/
I will not send Pay Pal as a gift or add fees to the price so DO NOT ASK!
BCbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turnigy Trackstar 150A 1/8 scale brushless esc? Rich68 Electric Off-Road 143 05-26-2014 12:19 AM
Anyone use the Turnigy TrackStar 150amp ESC???? 440swinger-kid Radio and Electronics 11 05-26-2011 04:18 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:04 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net