R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 11-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #76
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by No9 View Post
That`s 176 deg F ,a lot of motors would give up at that temp,i was told by express motor sports to run my Trinity D3.5 at 160 deg F max.
ran a whole TC season on asphalt with a D3.5 13.5 blink w/ track temps in ranges of 120 - 130deg. After 8 min I end up at 185 deg every heat. I feel no lost in power.
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #77
Tech Rookie

Has anyone modified the endbell to get more mechanical timing for blinky class ?
thetweeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #78
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Within Spec?

With all the talk about the straight away speed these motors have, it still makes me question if they are within Roar specs? I know flame away but if they are out of spec to get the speed (I do not know if they are or are not!) then should they be allowed even at the club level? Again not saying they should or shouldn't just posing the question.
RC America - XRay - Hudy - Maclan Racing - Xpert Servos - Schelle Racing Innovations - AKA Racing Products - DE Racing - Sticky Kicks - Sanwa
JFuel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #79
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetweeker View Post
Has anyone modified the endbell to get more mechanical timing for blinky class ?
There is no need to do this. You may not even need full timing for Blinky. Every motor design has point where more timing will not make you go faster just make more heat.

Reedy Sonic Spec Motors run well at full timing (50deg).
Thunder Power Z3R run best at 30-35 deg (Max is 50).
Trinity D3.5's run best at 10-15 deg (which is really 40-45).
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #80
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just got one these for 17.5 blinky class and for some reason I 'm having a tough time turning up the timing on this motor... just saw the post about the "modifiying the end bell" I havent ran the motor yet but all I can turn is 2 notches from the max.. anyone else had this problem?
-Airtronics
1shnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #81
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanyde View Post
Great to see so many of you having great results, not me. I ran the 13.5 in boosted and it lasted 2 heats and the motor just lost power. Don't know if it was the magnet or the winds. Haven't had time to open it up to figure out... I'm a fan of Turnigy products and enjoyed everything I bought from them (chargers, batteries, outrunner/inrunner motors etc.) except this motor. Never went above 80 deg C and it still died. Maybe its good for blinky....
Some updates...

Turned out that the shim on the rotor at the sensor end dissapeared. I believe it broke from the high revs and flew out the vent holes. This caused the magnet to rub against the sensors which causes wrong signals sent to the esc. Replaced it and tested it and it now runs fine, so far.

Ran against some other fellas last weekend and performance was on par with other motors. Was running with a Hobbywing V2.1 esc and the setting was:

Endbell timing: +1
Boost: 50
Boost accel: 200rpm/degree
Turbo: 20
Turbo accel: 18
Fdr: 6.4
Temp: 85C (Ambient 35C)

Power was consistent throughout 5 min but track time was limited and I believe some further tests would yield better results.

Will update further at a later time....

RC FB Pages Subscribed:
facebook.com/EPBuggy
facebook.com/AllStarChampionship
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #82
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mine is noticeably faster than the other cars on the straight. I have to be careful not to rear end the other cars in the 17.5 blinky class. But my Trackstar motors are running great. I have four of them now. I have two 13.5s for some short course trucks I'm building. I also ordered a 1/8 scale Trackstar for a truggy I'm building. I'm sold on these motors. My club doesn't seem to care at all. I'm going to run them!
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:08 AM   #83
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

R the motors roar approved?
zzztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #84
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzztech View Post
R the motors roar approved?
Not that I'm aware of.
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #85
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC10Chief View Post
Not that I'm aware of.
And probably won't ever be considering the legal issues surrounding the "track star" name.
Vostok 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #86
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC10Chief View Post
Not that I'm aware of.
well it needs to be...who do we need to contact to get these motors approved....i run mines & it jus as fast as any motor out there...i would like to get 2 or 3 & put tune rotors in them...hey! you can do that at 30bucks a pop
starrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #87
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

HobbyKing just needs to prove a sufficient number of motors have been imported into the US and that the motors meet the Spec class and Mod design requirements.

As far as the name I am sure they can have the next batch laser etched with some other name and get that approved.

I emailed HobbyKing and asked them to submit the motor for approval. You guys should do the same.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #88
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Turnigy or whoever owns the motors probably won't pay the fees to have it ROAR approved.

From what was posted in the D3 discussions, its a couple of grand for the approval.
Thats a lot of $35 motors.
pbTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #89
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbTarget View Post
Turnigy or whoever owns the motors probably won't pay the fees to have it ROAR approved.

From what was posted in the D3 discussions, its a couple of grand for the approval.
That also depends on the volume they sell to the US, along with requests from people that have bought the motor.
Certain models of the Turnigy, Turnigy Nano Tech and Zippy Flightmax Lipo battery packs have ROAR approval.

And I'm very happy with my Turnigy Trackstar motor (silver can), it gives great performance and doesn't fade when it heats up like other motors do.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #90
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbTarget View Post

I have a feeling these Trackstar motors probably wouldn't pass Roar inspection, just like the D3.5. That's why they are so fast.
jha07 is offline   Reply With Quote